HP ML10 V2

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by cuahtemoc, Apr 17, 2016.

1. k3nnis

k3nnis Member

Thanks. How many HDD's can we fit in it without modification? Thinking to get rid of my synology

2. julianvk

julianvk Member

You can fit 4x 3.5" hdd's with no mods
    If you fit 2x 5.25 bay converters to the 5.25" bays, you can install an additional 2x 3.5" and 4x 2.5" hdd's as I have done

You may need additional molex to sata power converters if you go past 6 drives

If you don't care if they are not hot swappable, you can use these https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Cases/Casemods-&-Upgrades/45833-SST-FP55B and the front panel unscrews so you dont have to see them

3. k3nnis

k3nnis Member

Thanks. I think 4 would be enough for me.

4. SLIMaxPower

SLIMaxPower Member

I have an issue with my ml10v2. I have 3 x m1015 pcie cards in slots 2-4 and and an intel nic in slot 1. The sas cards connect to a norco rpc 4220 which has 5 x 8087 connectors. The sixth 8087 port is for the original sas connector from the mobo to ssds.

The second slot powers the card but it doesn't see drives.

In bios PCI/IRQ slot 2 isn't shown.

Do I have to deactivate the embedded controller ?

5. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

I don't think you can deactivate the onboard b120i, you need it to boot, i've got a 10gb nic in my second slot and it just werks. does that card work in another machine?

6. SLIMaxPower

SLIMaxPower Member

Yes I have tried cards from a N36L and a N40L. They all are indentical. There are 2 leds flashing on each m1015, though the ones in 3 and 4 flash when drives are scanned.

Since it's not showing in the bios I would presume the 2nd pcie slot is too slow ?

7. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

8. noober69

noober69 Member

I have a strange issue. I am using all 6 sata connections, and wanted to add another 3.5" 5tb drive. I have 4 drivs on the onboard b120i, and left them alone. I wanted to add a new drive onto the sata ports directly on the motheboard. I disconnected one drive and put in the new drive. Now none of the drives off the standard sata ports work. The 4 other b120i drives are seen, and it boots fine, but no combo of connections for any of the drives connected direct to the motherboard works. I cannot even get back to it seeing the original drives. I don't think it is a power issue, as I was swapping out a functional 3tb for a 5tb.
    I am wondering if this is a bios issue, in that in connecting the same drives to different ports, the bios is not recognizing them. I have it set up headless so getting to boot screen is a bit of a hassle.
    I am running win 10 and have had no other issues.
    Any help appreciated.

9. noober69

noober69 Member

Ok, fixed it. I was not using the HP SSA usb key to remove the drive from the array before pulling the drive. Even though they are all JBOD and this drive was not on the raid card, it apparently still needs you to do this. I ended up putting in a M1015 card and putting the new disk on that after messing around with the HP SSA. The M1015 is working well.
    Lesson is, before removing a drive, reboot into HP ssa and remove the drive in software. Turn off then physically pull the drive. Then insert a new drive. Then reboot into HP SSA and identify the new drive and set it up. I forgot how much of a pain in the arse the system was but that is probably because it has been stable for a couple of years.

MUTMAN likes this.
  10. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

Hey guys. I recently picked up one of these servers with basic celeron/4GB combo and I'd like to get some upgrades for it.

This ram should work in it right? https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Micron-...y-Unbuffered/162128998868?hash=item25bfa431d4

I'll hang onto the basic cpu for now till I've had a chance to play with it more but ultimately planning to put a xeon in it (not sure which one yet). Planning to run freenas or xpenology on it

Now to see if i can figure out how to install xpenology... :)

11. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

12. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

what do you mean by legit? reckon the seller looks dodgy?

i'm struggling a bit to figure out what's compatible or not. do i need to be looking at anything beyond 'ddr3 ecc unregistered/unbuffered'? there also seems to be some ram spec'ed at 1.5v and others at 1.35

that micron ram above seems to be about the cheapest i could find

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  13. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

Buying anything from Shenzhen is a gamble, you just need UDIMMS, voltage doesn't matter, it's all backwards compatible from 1.5v down.

14. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

hmmm good point, didnt think of that, could well be counterfeit. i'll have to keep looking

15. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

16. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

17. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Nice. How do you find the noise?

18. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

once its finished booting up it seems ok. I got a really cheap iLo4 license too which was a bonus. Haven't installed the hdds/OS yet, just investigating xpenology. will do bare metal first but later on look at esxi. not sure how hard it is to get esxi going on it..

but yeah i reckon it'll be a good server :thumbup:

19. chip

chip Member

If it's DDR3 ECC unbuffered DIMMs then you'll be fine.

Obligatory 'holy shit RAM prices these days' comment.

20. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

hmm so HP is not accepting the serial number of my device to download latest firmware :( would anyone be able to give me a hand to track it down?