HP ML10 V2

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by cuahtemoc, Apr 17, 2016.

1. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

Its a “feature” ;-) mine does the same.40C but fan throttles up and down as load varies :)

2. gracey

gracey Member

Yeah mine has no screen either so ILO is perfect. The I7 is in and running perfect along with 4Gb extra RAM. Temps are reporting correctly.

Thanks everyone that replied, im pretty happy with it now

3. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

Thinking about throwing a 1070 into my ML10v2 (Its got a i7 4770 in it) and running an unraid gaming VM. Anyone done something similar?

I'll obviously need to upgrade the PSU, but other than that and adding some m.2 via pci express I think it should have some interesting results.

4. decryption

decryption Member

I'm wanting to upgrade the CPU in my ML10v2 and seen a few people here to do it.

Can I chuck in any LGA1150 CPU in or does it need to be one on the HP supported list?

Also does the cooling need upgrading if I use a CPU with more than 60W TDP? (the Pentium it came with was only 53W).

5. gracey

gracey Member

Ive got an i7-4770 (84W I think) in mine and its been running great for the last year or so on the stock cooler. Lives in the hot garage through Brisbane Summer.

Dilbery likes this.
  6. decryption

decryption Member

Nice one - the i7-4770 doesn't support ECC RAM, so did you replace the RAM with non-ECC or are you using ECC stuff in it?

7. gracey

gracey Member

I left the standard stick in there and just added another 4GB, non-ECC as far as I remember. Im using unraid so I wasnt really that worried

8. decryption

decryption Member

Cheers, will grab the CPU and give it a crack. Only have 4GB of RAM in there now, so will need to buy new stuff anyways.

9. TripleJ85

TripleJ85 Member

Much the same experience with mine:
    I've had an i5-4670K in it for a few years now with no dramas on the stock cooler. I've even had the plastic duct removed for a while (got in the way of my SAS HBA card).
    I'm running 4x4GB Kingston Unbuffered ECC DDR3 with no problem - on a Solaris 11.4 host. No idea if the error checking is actually happening or not, but it works fine. I just bought whatever was cheap on ebay at the time.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    decryption likes this.
  10. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

Got an E3-1281-V3 in mine, the standard cooling is perfectly fine :)

edit: I can't type. Called it a 1271 to begin with :p

11. gracey

gracey Member

Storms tonight have killed my server :(

Assuming it’s the power supply, what are my options to replace it with something else?

Anyone parting one of these out or would sell a whole machine?

Thanks

12. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

Do you have a multi meter? if so pull out the supply, hot wire green to ground on the motherboard plug, then test the usual voltages. That will elimenate the supply :)

13. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

i've got one i could sell.. would have to ship from melb though

14. gracey

gracey Member

An entire machine or PSU only? Thanks

15. gracey

gracey Member

Yeah cheers I’m planning to test tomorrow.

16. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

Sorry to resurrect a bit of a dead thread, has anyone got some suggestions for how I can get one of these up and running.

First problem: can't boot from USB stick - get a Red Screen of Death with Illegal Opcode. Tried all the fixes I can find online and updated the BIOS but nothing fixes this issue. Seems something is misconfigured so booting from a USB to install an OS will fail every time. I don't have an optical drive handy so makes things difficult...

Second problem: installed OS onto an SSD in another PC, hook it up to the RAID controller in any of the 4 positions, fails to boot. Non-system disk error. Try booting to it from the mobo SATA ports 5/6, nope non-system disk. Boots into Windows Server fine if I put the SSD in another machine.

On boot it says "Redundant ROM detected" but it has a valid backup rom. When I look at the ROM information it says the current rom is dated 2019 the backup rom is 2012. Why is the "new" one redundant?

I assume it says 1785-Drive Array Not Configured during POST as I haven't managed to get into the OS and setup disks? There is one HDD attached but on boot it says 0 logical volumes and 0MB.

If I press F11 to boot using HDD (option 5) it simply goes straight to Network Boot mode which is set to the LOWEST priority.

I know these aren't as easy as a desktop to setup but F*** me this is ridiculous LOL.

17. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

not much help but go through the usual troubleshooting ?
    pull everything out and re-seat the cpu and ram, clear bios
    only one ram stick at a time to isolate them
    etc etc

sorry, it's all i can contribute

MonoJoker likes this.
  18. TripleJ85

TripleJ85 Member

These things can be a bit fiddly - but mine has been rock solid once I got it up and running.

Another vector for installation media is HP iLO. If you can get yourself a key (legally of course) it it is very handy and will allow you to mount images over the network and boot from them. This is how I tackle it - https://imgur.com/a/eUOOZ1h

There is no way to change the boot order - it will always boot off #1 (the hard drive that is in the 4-drive caddy, closest to you when you open the door). A bit untidy when you want to boot from a 2.5" drive (I have my boot SSD sitting loose above it, and use one of the other SATA ports for that drive.

Not sure about your RAID settings - I have always had that stuff off and run ZFS on mine. You should be able to get in to the BIOS and disable hardware RAID (or clear the CMOS to defaults I guess).

Updating the BIOS isn't as trivial as you might think - you'll need a copy of HP SPP. The way I read your note about it makes sense though - it's saying there is a redundant ROM because there is a backup -

Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    MonoJoker and MUTMAN like this.
  19. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

Wow, this desktop app sh**s all over the web GUI, absolutely awesome. And mounting drives, wow, so easy. Got Windows 2016 Eval installed without a hitch so far.

20. chip

chip Member

Actually, HPE have made the latest BIOS update available for free (ie without a maintenance entitlement, even though the download page says it's required): https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_b8a7c5edefb64aae8eca790525

No faffing around with a multi-GB SPP iso, just smash that download button and go for it

edit: iLO 4 firmware update dropped a week ago too: https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_ba3437a6c8d843f39ab5cace06#tab3

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020 at 12:56 PM
    MUTMAN likes this.