1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

HP ML10 V2

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by cuahtemoc, Apr 17, 2016.

1. negatron

negatron Member

Hi Guys,

Just picked up one of these from warehouse 1 today, their GM Sam was telling me most of the brains trust behind megabuy left and started up this new operation.
    Seems they have a much better attitude than the previous mob and I found they were very approachable.

They had a Stack of these servers left in stock and if you ring and ask nicely they will still do it for the sale pricing.

Just reading these are harder to set up. What's different from a n40l in the setup to Windows 8 process?

2. Javelin55

Javelin55 Member

For all those having trouble with Windows finding drive switch to ACHi in BIOS and do the HP SSP first. Took me awhile to figure out yesterday.

Seriously good deal on these are.

Mine seems more quite than N40l it's replacing with WD Reds

Looking at icy dock 2.5 x2 w and 3.5 x1 now.

Huge potential for mods n upgrades.

Anyone found cheap raid card to enable more hard drives?

3. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

What I did to get mine to boot:

Find a spare hard drive or SSD.

Acquire rufus.

There will be an option in there somewhere to show hard drives. Tick this. Make sure you are selecting the right hard drive. Clean the drive using diskpart in the command line if necessary, it shouldn't be.

Near the top it will have a drop down menu for MBR/GPT/whatever. Select the one that is for UEFI and BIOS.

Select your ISO. Create the drive.

When it's done put this drive into the server and boot from it. Install to your desired boot drive as normal.

I gave up on getting USB to work and when I did as above, it worked first time. :thumbup:

ALTERNATIVELY

I havent tried this as I haven't got an ILO advanced licence yet. These are about $15-20 on eBay. Once you have advanced licence you can do remote install. Just select your ISO and away you go (I think).

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  4. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

iLO works great for installing OS's, and makes the server truly headless - you can manage it from across the room or from the other side of the globe. I mess with mine from a macbook or ipad all the time.

5. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Installed windows 7 on an ssd just for fun and idle power draw is 24-25W.

6. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

So I just got an ML10 v2 today (like I originally wanted to, will flip the v1 in a moment), but a question (surprise surprise!)

Are these things normally super duper picky about what RAM they use? The 3x 2GB ECC mismatched speeds worked fine in the v1, but in the v2, seems only the 4GB stick it comes with will work. Or does ECC need matched sizes across all slots but different speeds is ok?

It's fine if it's picky, but I just want to know what will work, specifically in an 8GB ECC variety. I'll sell these 3x 2GB and 1x 4GB sticks with/without the v1, but I just want to make sure before I start spending a hundred bucks a stick every pay (again).

P.S. I also want to upgrade to a Xeon later (not sure what, quad core with hyperthreading at least) so DIMMS that are compatible with both Xeons and the stocko Pentium (if that's possible) would be nice. :thumbup:

Cheers

7. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

8. noober69

noober69 Member

9. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

I don't see why they wouldn't. I think mine was just complaining because the RAM was mismatched.

Do you know how long that deal is on for? Because I was expecting to pay $100 a stick.

10. Javelin55

Javelin55 Member

Just Ordered 8GB to add to the orignal 4GB

Cheap at $60 dollars standard post.

Anyone found any Xeon E3 deals yet ? What are people looking at for CPU, hopefully they work well with this RAM...

2nd day in server is killing it as my Emby/Deluge box atm huge upgrade over N40L

11. noober69

noober69 Member

I currently have an xpenology install on baer metal working well for data backups and serving movies. I currently have 2 N54L doing back up, download (whs2011) and movie server (win10).

Seeing how well it is working, I am thinking that I will get a xeon and virtualise an Xpenology installation and WHS2011 box as well. That will reduce 3 boxes to one.

I will need to install a m1015 I have had floating around that didn't play well with my N54L.

Might also try Sophos as well.

Given the above, probably need more than the 8gb ram I have. I will look in the for sale section if anyone is selling any original 4gb sticks cheap.

I am not sure whether the ML10v2 will accept mixed types of ram, even if each stick is individually acceptable.

12. chip

chip Member

is it really the case that you need to pay HP for a maintenance contract to get BIOS updates for these?

13. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Dammit, expired!! Anyone else seen this up for grabs?

14. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

You need to have a current warranty at least to download the BIOS. Super shitty I know. If anyone needs the latest BIOS, shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can arrange something.

Few places are $200-250. Check StaticIce or eBay for current pricing.

15. noober69

noober69 Member

Ok, so my ml10v2 has warranty and I believe i have d/l the latest spp
    864794_001_spp-2016.04.0-SPP2016040.2016_0317.20.iso (5.7GB) from HP. Getting warranty accepted was a pain, I had to log in a couple of times/ways.

I have obtained a trial ilo key and installed that, so I can log into the machine from my desktop (win 7 64bit). That bit works fine.

I have the spp on my desktop networked to my ml10v2.

Can someone help with instructions on how to update the system? At present the ml10v2 is running an xpenology instal, which is not critical, more of a trial.

I think I need to update the bios, maybe the ilo system etc.

I got about as far as mounting the spp iso in my deskptop to a virtual cd drive.

I feel like i am close but don't want to bork the MB. Just need the next steps.

Thanks.

16. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

Ok, so from what I understand from other lights out systems (Dell DRAC for example), the iLO system runs independently of everything else (including the BIOS). It's basically a computer within the computer and it has it's own CPU, it's own BIOS, it's own RAM, it's own flash storage, and (traditionally) it's own NIC.

On the HP downloads website for the ML10, there will be an ILO online flash tool. If you are running Windows, download this and run it on the server. When I ran it, I thought it would just install and drop a file in a folder somewhere, but the installer actually flashes the ILO image automatically, so it's important not to interrupt the installer.

After this is done ILO should reboot and you should be all good.

I just saw that you are running Xpenology, so the above won't work. Instead do this:

-Extract the online exe. If using Windows, just use WinRAR.

-You are looking for the large .bin file, in my case "ilo4_230.bin" for ILO 4 version 2.30

-Login to ILO, and under Administration and Firmware, upload the file. It will flash and reboot.

-You can also update the BIOS from this page, apparently.

-Once this is done you should be running the latest version. I haven't updated the BIOS yet but the procedure should be the same.

Hope this helps, and another (unrelated) question...

Can you use the SAS port (so 4 hard drives in the cage) and the two extra SATA ports at the same time, and if so, how?

For the moment I just want to run the disks as singles, so no RAID configuration on them.

17. negatron

negatron Member

can also ring the warehouse1 lads at their docklands brunch, the boss men work there and might be able to extend the offer to you.

18. chip

chip Member

What was the HP part/product number for that warranty? The cheapest one I can find is "HPE 3 year Foundation Care Next business day ML10v2 Service U2GU0E", which is about $600 retail.

19. noober69

noober69 Member

If you have a new device you need to go to the HP website and create an account. Then register the device. The HP system asks you for a some stuff including a serial number. Helpfully it is not on the stickers on the device or box as far as I could tell. It is however in the bios somewhere. You need to put in the serial number in
    I input my device info as requested, which is located on the sticker on the ml10 enclosure. I also had to find the serial in the bios (I googled where to find it).

After a bit of stuffing around, logging in and being forced out during this process, it eventually came up and said the device was in warranty and let me access all the updates. There was no part number and nothing to buy.

For me the whole process was not really intuitive, with the website and software. let me know if you have more specific questions and I will try to answer them.

20. Javelin55

Javelin55 Member

Also curious if the SAS port and Sata ports can be used at the same time under ACHI mode? If not whats the cheapest card to make this happen. Dont need RAID aswell.

Found this drive replacement aswell for HOTSWAP but guess its to pricey to upgrade when these are so cheap atm

http://www.technopolis.com.au/products/16290-ml150-gen9-4lff-hot-plug-drive-cage-kit.aspx

I plan on adding this one in top bay eventually after a CPU upgrade.

http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/214749/HDD_ADAPTERS_DOCKS/Icydock/MB994SP-4S.asp