1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

HP ML10 V2

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by cuahtemoc, Apr 17, 2016.

1. noober69

noober69 Member

I managed to get a m1015 (lsi 9240-8i) card installed last night and flashed to IR mode, which I believe makes it possible to both jbod and raid, with passthrough of smart data. Seems to work fine. I tried the same card in a N54L and it wouldn't work.

So currently I have about 10 sata ports. Probably enough for a while...

Of course now the server takes forever to boot.

I intend to run synology ,maybe on esxi or windows server 2012 hyper v. I wonder whether synology shr is better than hw raid 5?

2. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

Just adding ram to these makes them take a lot longer to boot. If your planning to run xpeanology you want IT mode (if you have SHR in mind) and the option to not show the bios of the card when your doing the flash mod to the card. The 1015 will still work fine.

Of course remember its a server so you would not be rebooting it too often. Mines been up running Xpeanology for about a month now, having even been through a disk upgrade (added another 5 TB disk). Slowly edging toward 25TB as funds allow me to buy more drives.

Does anyone know how much of an improvement the Xeon E3-1231V3 would be over the little pentium? i notice my cpu is pegged to 99% when plex transcodes some content (but not all). Surely the Xeon will have way more performance than the pentium.

Might need to buy one of those M1015's myself so I can continue to add disks without being stalled by not having enough SATA ports :)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  3. noober69

noober69 Member

I just flashed my m1015 to IR mode, which I thought was a compromise and still had raid. It works ok with a single drive, but I would prefer to put in 2 small ssd's in Raid 1 for an OS. Is IT mode better, I was getting confused about what I wanted.

There was no issue flashing the m1015 or running it on the ML10v2 that I have seen so far, it seems to allow me to go that extra step beyond the N54L which was limited to 5/6 drives.

Although in hind sight if it was not much more expensive I might be tempted by a m5014/m5015 for real raid 5. I have no proper need for huge speeds so I intend to use SHR on the synology.

Booting is going to be an issue but I don't intend to shut it off often.
    I have a 1220v3 coming, I will see what sort of cpu usage I have with kodi on the Pentium and then the xeon.

4. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

I'm sure most people just flash these to IT mode to allow passthrough of the disks to hypervisors. If a disk dies with SHR you can still repair the raid while still having access to the data on the array. You loose the biggest volume of storage to parity.

With my SHR I have 2x 5 Tb disks and 2 x 3Tb disks. When I replace one of the 3Tb disks I'll be able to grow the array size. When I replace the other 3Tb disks I can grow it again. SHR handles this almost automagically.

So my array is like this: 5Tb 3Tb 3Tb 5Tb(P) so I loose this last drive to parity. So I end up with 11Tb of storage. With raid 5, I'd be completely wasting 4Tb of space.

heres an SHR calaculator - have a play and see what happens when you add or remove disks. Pulling the first 3Tb (and replacing with a 5Tb) expands my storage from 11Tb to 13Tb, when doing the second, it'll grow to 15 Tb. Finally adding the last 2x5TB disks will expand my storage volume to 25Tb. This calc will show you the difference between SHR and raid 5.

https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/RAID_calculator

Since I have a full backup both on and off site (on tape - ugh - 3 day process to get it all back on) I don't mind playing with the server, switching disks and letting XPE do the expansion, should it fail I just plug in the tape drive to my fedora box and start moving stuff back over. Slowly LOL :p

in fact I think its a good idea for me to make another tape backup soon. I've added to my collection of data so I'd better pull my 960, plug in the tape drive and start backing up the new stuff to a couple of fresh cartridges. :)

5. al'Thor

al'Thor Member

These are still $159 at Warehouse1

Does anyone know if a Intel Core i5 4590/i5 4690k cpu will work in these?

6. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

I so need to get another one LOL, even if I set it up and give it to a friend as a basic NAS - these are too dirt cheap to pass up :)

7. Hive

Hive Member

Since when? What the FUCK hp.

8. chip

chip Member

Since they split the company into "HP" and "HP Enterprise", to cash in on the Cisco model of charging like a wounded bull for bug fixes software maintenance.

9. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

oh noober69, did you use the server to flash the m1015 or did you use another computer?

I've made my usb stick with dos on it and the required files, and am just waiting for my m1015 to arrive from the states.

Since the two desktops mentioned in my sig that have PCI-e slots are the only ones I have, I'd sooner flash it in the server via iLO than go pulling apart my other machine, which is tucked away under a desk. The server is easier to get to and work on. Worst case I can connect a monitor and keyboard for the 10 minutes I need while xpenology is offline for dos to go flashing the card.

cheers.

10. noober69

noober69 Member

I used the ml10v2, just pulled the drive connectors from it so it had nothing to boot from, and made sure the usb was set to boot first.
    I followed these instructions:
    http://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/

But with the following:
    I photographed the m1015 serial number on my phone so I could remember it rather than try to find it after installing the card.
    And the instructions for the serial number are a little off. Mine had an extra 0 in the middle so I got an error about serial number length. I removed the extra zero from the middle of the serial number when inputting and it went fine.

A test drive attached to the m1015 was visible in xpenology when I rebooted, but I did not try to join it to a volume etc. I believe it all works ok.

11. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

Thanks - that makes life so much easier. Yes I've been reading up on several methods to flash it, some using uefi and others plain dos. Photographing the serial number is a good idea, as its part of the flashing process requirement.

Thanks for the tip on the extra 0 :)

I'll take a photo with my ipad, iLO in after the card is in, with the disks disconnected, and perform the steps in that guide. Bookmarked - almost every other guide mentions uefi - and my asrock board has a funky efi where the keyboard is a bit shall we say "repetative".

I got a bonus with mine (well when I get it) a forward SAS to sata breakout cable. Hope its long enough (to reach the upper bays of the server - I'll use the original one from the server itself for the first 4) :)

oh and if your booting from a usb (either ESXI or other small linux based OS e.g. xpenology, freenas, unRAID), you WANT the IT mode, as the IR mode can cause random drive dropout etc on these types of OS). Since your not booting from the drives in this case (the bare metal OS is whatever is on the usb stick that boots the machine), you just want to pass the disks through without an extra software layer in between.

Apologies for going a bit off topic as we're here to talk about our ML10V2's but it is kinda on topic, i.e. stuffing as many disks into it as possible :)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  12. chip

chip Member

I suspect those CPUs' lack of ECC support will be a problem. There are Haswell i3s and Pentiums that officially support ECC, but not i5/i7s.

13. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

So I was digging through my spare bits box looking for a molex extender and found a dell H310 card. Once I finish transcoding my video files to work with itunes and the apple TV, I'll flash this thing to LSI stock firmware. Guess I'm not waiting on USPS to deliver my M1015.

An excellent write up complete with files needed is located here:
    https://techmattr.wordpress.com/201...-flashing-to-it-mode-dell-perc-h200-and-h310/

No longer need to wait for the M1015 to arrive.

I now have different plans for my ML10V2.

I'll be running 3 OS's on it. Xpenology for pure nas stuff, OS X 10.11 for itunes and iflicks, along with Plex, sharing its library with my main machine, and finally windows server 2008 dedicated purely to tape backups. SMB shares will be read only, and only have one user, tape, this is just in case the windows VM gets attacked by cryptolocker or similar. Although a decent antivirus set to update automatically should take care of that.

Top 5.25" bay: 4x2.5" express cage containing 2 1Tb spinning platter drives in raid 0 for tape staging (br120i port 1 and 2), 2 256 gig SSD's in raid 1 for VM data store (br120i p3 and 4).

Bottom 5.25" bay: 2x2.5" and 1x3.5" express cage containing 2 x 256 gig SSD's for Xpenology cache, 5th 5Tb drive (H310/LSI)

Main cage: 4 x 5Tb's. (H310/LSI)

Xpenology will get the H310 passed through to it. Windows will get its disks via RDM, OSX doesn't need a disk - its a self contained VM apart from network access.

This sudden change will reduce my total storage capacity by 5Tb but means one less 5Tb drive to buy. Money saved can be spent on a CPU that handles VT-d along with a quad port intel nic.

Hypervisor will be ESXI (not sure if 5.5 or 6 - haven't decided yet). This will run off a 128Gb ssd velcro'ed ghetto style to the bottom of the case, connected to one of the motherboard ports.

I may also install an 80mm/120mm fan in front of this SSD to blow air over it and over the H310.

Slots:
    Top: H310
    Second: Future expansion. Possibly a SAS expander.
    Third: Intel NIC
    Fourth: Adaptec 29320LPE SCSI controller for tape backups.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  14. noober69

noober69 Member

Ok, I am planning this setup, please let me know if I am crazy.

I have 16gb ram installed. I will get a xeon e3-1220 or 1231 (preferably).

I have Win 10 pro running on raid 1 via 2 x 128gb ssd connected to the m1015 (IR mode). Probably will install 2 x 1tb 2.5" drive for data. All 4 x 2.5" drives in a vantec ezyswap bay device. Main task is for management and also running ubiquity security cam software. (I have a separate system already doing this, but want to consolidate)

Hyper v installed. I want to install Xpenology as a VM on 5 x 3tb drives in SHR mode. It will serve up mkv files for kodi tv, as well as storing backups of my family photos and ~2 Windows OS backups.

None of the tasks seem labour intensive. These functions are currently running across 2 N54l's and an old X8400 dual core system.

I have all the hardware except the xeon.

I quite like Xpenology but maybe I am better off just using win 10 storage spaces instead of xpenology.

I am concerned that if the xpenology system dies or no longer works as a VM, getting the data off the shr drives may be difficult. But I like the simplicity and redundancy of the xpenology/synology system.

15. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

Xpenology runs just like a real Synology box, so you can just reinstall the OS and reimport the drives. Mines been running on desktop class (yes I'm cheap but going to move to reds just as soon as i get a xeon), drives for a month now, mind you on bare metal. Seems easy enough to just export the config, unplug the drives and move to an ESXI based system. Not so sure about windows hyper-V though. Cant see how it would be much different to ESXI however.

16. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

These were $99 last night... :eek:

Sadly sold out.

17. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

Gosh popular little boxes (well not so little if you put one beside a microserver!)

18. SIK555

SIK555 Member

Hi, first post here.

I have a R7 240 graphics card and a SSD both new laying around doing nothing.

Would I have any problems using this as a HTPC?

It will work out a lot cheaper than buying a case, PSU, CPU, RAM, MOBO etc.

Cheers for any advice.

19. negatron

negatron Member

Mine's taken over from my n40L as media PC, its a bit nosier but I'can cram in more HDDs!

20. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

Most concerning is the GFX card but since it needs no additional 6 or 8 pin pci-e's it should work fine. Bear in mind it may need configuring in the bios (the ML10V2) if you still wish to use iLO