1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

HP ML10 V2

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by cuahtemoc, Apr 17, 2016.

1. cloudie9

cloudie9 New Member

May I know what hard drive(s) you have there? Also, can you please recommend where to get one of this m1015 raid? Very much appreciated.

Edit: So I just tried to switch the SATA controller from Raid to ACHI, ran the Windows Server 2012 R2 installation, it won't still recognised more than 2tb. Looks like I need to spend more money and get a proper raid/sata controller that supports WD red 6tb?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  2. SIK555

SIK555 Member

After about a dozen tries I still can't install the drivers for the Asus R7 240, I just get a blue screen and crash when installing from the CD it come with and with the set up exe from the website it says it needs to restart, after restart it says something like it was unsuccessful.

Multiple attempts at installing drivers for a TP Link TL-WN8200ND failed as it was unable to detect it, but I bought a TP Link TL-WN725N and set it up with no problem at all.

I bought a HDMI cable to replace the RGB cable thinking it would transfer audio to the TV but I guess I to revert back to the RGB and buy a sound card as there appears to be no sound processing onboard.

Also restarting the system is fine, however when I use shutdown it just hangs on the shutdown screen indefinitely.

For a simple HTPC set up this is turning out to be really problematic, my fault for trying to cheap out I guess.

3. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

It's really not meant for a HTPC. Use it as a NAS and it's amazing.

4. Frogloose

Frogloose (Banned or Deleted)

Hi,

Exactly, it's a business class server. Just dump it in the back room, put plex server on and use a chromecast to stream from it.

Cheers
    Frogloose

5. SIK555

SIK555 Member

Its a little late to turn back as Ive already spent the money on it, I asked here and elsewhere before buying it and everyone seemed to think it would be fine. I'm using it to write this on the TV but just have those issues to solve (audio, R7 240 driver and the shutdown issue).

I wouldn't say I have a lot of knowledge when it comes to computers but I've built 3 before and getting everything running properly was a piece of cake.

6. negatron

negatron Member

I disagree!

Mine is happily serving both as HTPC and file server!

Just need to find the right vid card for it.

7. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

This doesn't support S3 sleep and takes a long time to boot up, so unless you plan to have your HTPC (like being a file server as well) on all the time it's a terrible choice.

8. negatron

negatron Member

yeah, this is a good point, the boot up time is long, and if you upgrade the Ram even longer, mine is on 24/7 hence it works well in this regard.

For people that need the on off / sleep cycle i'd use something else...

9. SIK555

SIK555 Member

I thought I'd update to windows 10 and see if I had any better luck fixing the problems.

First thing I did was go in to the graphics properties and got windows to search for and update the driver and it worked, that also fixed the audio and I now have sound to the TV via the HDMI cable. After that was working I shutdown the computer and it shutdown without hanging so it seems all my problems are sorted.

Previously without the driver on windows 7 the windows user experience for the graphics was 1 but I'm unable to test it as windows 10 doesn't have it but it seems to be working.

Hopefully my troubles will help someone else sort out the same issues if they come across it.

10. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

These things are a pain in the arse to set up when used as intended, I can't imagine how much more difficult it would be when using as a HTPC. Honestly I wouldn't. Do as others have said and use as Plex server/torrent box/whatever, and use whatever as a Plex client. You can even get an app for some smart TVs.

11. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

Also some consoles allow the installation of a plex client as well, ex my xbox 360 does and that or a small linux computer such as a raspberry pi with a ir remote control is a much more sensible choice than trying to find a video card for the HP server. Also the apple TV 4 can install a plex client as well, and if you have an apple household, any of the iDevices / mac computers can stream to it, or play content to it from the server.

If I had more motivation (and a long T15 hex driver) I'd be fitting my E3-1281-V3 and Dell H310 to my server today. Also moving it now a 10 meter network cable has arrived, but cant be bothered doing anything until my 100mm T15 rocks up. Will take piccies as I go along once the T15 arrives.

edit well the T15 has arrived so now I can proceed with the upgrade of the CPU and RAID card cross flashing. Waiting on a mate whos equally into this sort of stuff to rock up and we'll muck around with the server, do the upgrades and have the go pro rolling during the important bits.

My god I forgot how heavy these beasts are when they're loaded up with drives LOL!

edit 2:
    Good news - the E3-1281-v3 is a goer. Bad news: someone forgot to check the battery on the go pro. I'll take a pic of the boot screen tho with the server id'ing the cpu

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  12. noober69

noober69 Member

I just put a e3-1240 v3 in mine. This was the simplest HW swap I have done. The chip goes in easy and lots of room. Just need to start loading it up now with drives and a new OS. Going for win 10 pro hopefully.

13. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

I'm just backing up my array to tape and a spare pair of 5Tb drives before I switch to ESXI 6.0 in prepartion to run multiple OS's at once.

Plex transcoding in Xpenology can make the fan get a bit loud when the 1281 V3 warms up a touch.

Yes the cpu is very easy to replace. You'll need a T15 long screwdriver to get at it (I bought a 100mm bit for my cordless driver). You can safely use a power driver provided it has a clutch, and set the clutch very light (mine was on 2). Then manually snug each screw up by hand in the usual star pattern.

Raid card is installed and flashed and my array is now hooked to it. All my bits have turned up to add 12 hard drives to this thing provided I can find room to put them. I'll end up with 10. 6 3.5" drives, 2 SSD's (raid 1 for vmware datastore) and a pair of 2.5" laptop drives for future use... mabye make that the volume1 in Xpenology so it can put all its files there, and keep the 25TB (20TB useable after parity) of 3.5" drives for my data.

6 hours to go on the backup lulz :p (yup I pulled the graphics card in my main machine, stuck in the scsi card and simultaneously backing up to the tape drive and the hard drives)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  14. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

GRRR! my disks wouldnt show until I backflashed/downflashed my H310 to version 19. What a pain. Then all the data was gone. Glad I made that backup.

Success - ESXI is now running Xpenology! :)

Next step: OS X :p

edit: os x took 25 minutes from wo to go thanks to the you tube video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmUuFGFnQ-E

Now I just need to link the two together for seamless operation (itunes to music library etc)

Meanwhile my array in xpenology is expanding as I installed one more 5Tb disk.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  15. noober69

noober69 Member

I am having all sorts of issues installing windows on my server. On 2 separate installs I have received the bsod: inaccessible boot device error. The drive seems fine.

Also, I have not been able to get the system to detect any HDD on the stand alone sata ports on the MB. I am using sata ahci mode in bios.

I am surprised at how much of a pain in the arse this is becoming. I ran xpenology fine for weeks on a usb stick with a couple of old hdd thrown in, but now the system is just rebooting the whole time and every time I change hdd order, it throws a fit.

Any ideas would be helpful. I think my firmwares are up to date.

16. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

From memory these guys will only boot from the hard drive (when connected to the built in B120 or sata ports) from port 0 on the b120 when it is selected for boot, otherwise optional pci-e card controller (either raid or disk controller, even one of the many LSI clones with the IT firmware & boot rom flashed)

I came across this issue too. What version of windows are you trying to start - if its a windows 98-me or vista-win 10 and not a server OS you'll probably need a disk driver loaded at install time to fix the issue (older copies of windows I think F2, newer copies F3 or F8 when it gets to the disk selection screen. Sorry getting pretty old hat at windows - I'm an OS X guy now LOL!) You can use one of the many Windows ISO creation tools that slipstream the drivers into the ISO to skip this step. Just slipstream the server drivers in - 2008 for win 7/8.1 and 2012 for windows 10. Should work fine. Then when you get into windows install the driver from the server os you downloaded prior to creating your iso.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  17. noober69

noober69 Member

Thanks. After some more hair pulling and googling I worked out that the b120i only boots on port 0 if there are multiple disks, which is pretty ridiculous. I have a m1015 as well which worked fine but then a windows install failed for some reason. I am using win 10 pro as a server OS.

I could not get it to install win 10 from usb so I ended up installing through ilo and a windows iso I mounted virtually on my main pc. ILO looks pretty good once you get the hang of it so I will buy a proper license once the 60 day trial expires.

I normally start with only a single disk in the server, and then I install windows. Once that is done and updates etc, I power down and add some storage disks. Often I will rearrange the HDD on the sata ports to fit for easier cable routing, then change the boot order in bios. A lot of data needs to move through the machine so I allocate a disk to newsgroup/torrenting that gets thrashed and usually has the shortest life. I also need a disk for security camera video storage and that is always on the go as well. Then I have several disks for a video library, and lastly a couple of disks for back up of other pc's. Probably 8-9 disks, from ssd's to large hdd, with separate functions. There is no way I want my videos and backups part of a disk pool or located on a hdd that is thrashed with constant downloads or video recording so getting it set up correctly is important. I am consolidating several machines to reduce power consumption.

This is proving tricky to organise on the ml10v2. If you plan to use more than 4 drives, you need to seriously think about disk position as moving stuff around later is difficult with the fixed sata power connectors, pass through issues and limited power connectors. When using a single disk, the ml10v2 will boot from anywhere. Through another disk on and all of a sudden no go until you straighten it out with order.

It does appear to have been humming away quite nicely overnight with my never-ending hunt for Linux iso's on usenet.

18. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

Got me hung up as to why it would not boot from the SSD when I had it on the 5th sata port. So I got caught by this as well. You're not the only one.

I've just installed a 4 port nic and a small pci blower to suck the hot air off the H310 cards heatsink and blow it out the back. Precautionary measure as I do not want to have to crossflash one of these again should it die - it was a pain in the bum finding the correct versions of sas2flsh and 6GBPSAS.FW to get it to IT mode, then a different version of sas2flsh to flash the LSI firmware v19 (compatible with esxi).

I think it took me the better part of 4 hours to get it flashed, most of that waiting for the extremely long post process of the server inbetween failed attempts.

Using my digital infrared thermometer the cards heatsink now sits around 40C, down from 70C without the blower LOL

19. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

Hi guys - I am seeking some advice on whether to purchase a ML10v2, and I hope you can guide me. Right now, I really only need to sort out my File Serving / NAS and I am not interested in RAID (of any form) at the moment.

Currently...
    I've got all manner of storage and it's a bloody mess - an old ML110 G5 Quad + 8GB running Win 8.1 the central device, and I've got various old SATA cards and Port Multipliers in it to expand storage out to DAS enclosures. I switch those on manually when I need access to the "old archives" but the ML runs 24/7 with 6 x 3.5" drives as non-RAID with music on one, music video on another, TV Series, etc.

I use a old Dlink NAS for torrents and offsite FTP access to my archives. I'd like to get that into a proper server, and have something like ILO to admin everything headless. My dream for years has been a giant Lian Li tower modded to house all my drives, hotswap bays, etc and run some kind of consumer grade MoBo plus some HBAs. I am currently building a Socket 775 Quad + 8GB + SSD + Win 10 for that task, but it's pretty archaic technology and I am striking all sorts of odd problems.

Seeing the ML10 for $159 is bloody tempting to get something more modern. I'd drop a M1015 in there, then sit it next to a SAS-cabled DAS enclosure. I have 2 concerns...

1. Setup.
    I've had older HP stuff for years, but the new HP concept of Packs and Accounts and stuff to get the firmware and set the machine up scares me. It seems a massively complicated task to set up a modern ML "properly", and I am time poor and not interested in playing around just to get the box up and running and S2012R2 installed.

I am a noob - is there a simple step by step guide anywhere that I can just follow to get up and running without needing to be trained in "modern HP-ness"? Any suggestions?

2. Repurposing later
    Once it's up and running, I was considering using the ML10 board inside a larger case. My old ML110 uses proprietary MoBo standoffs and strange non-ATX PSU - is the ML10 the same, or is it more standard?

Bargain @ $159 to get a complete box, I can't put together a Haswell of that spec for less. Even the Pentium CPU is enough grunt for my current needs, but the mATX case with only 4/6 official drives (let's say 8 without major mods) is a real pain for me. But I kept getting drawn to the ML10 total bargain providing I don't need to spend 200 hours getting it up and running.

So, given the choice of a new ML10 or reusing an old Skt775 as the mainboard/guts - what ya reckon I should do?

20. the3coopers

the3coopers Member