HP ML10 V2

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by cuahtemoc, Apr 17, 2016.

1. ics

ics Member

Has anybody tried WD Red 8 TB drives when the bios is set to AHCI? On my ML10v2 the drives are not detected?

2. noober69

noober69 Member

I have noticed that mine is slow yo pick up drives, can take many minutes once booted. Not sure if the same problem.

3. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

True - even after its booted and running and my os puts the drives to sleep it takes an unusually long time (longer than the usual spinup) for the network shares to become "live" if I haven't used them for a while.

Perhaps HP prevented poppage of the power supply, and had the br120 do a staggered spinup of the platter drives, which would cause the long delay.

An example: last night I watched a movie. It took a good 30 seconds or so for the movie to begin playing, even though I could browse the shares. I then watched a TV show, which played almost instantly. Likewise this morning I copied the windows 10 iso to the server, it took a short while to begin copying.

I don't mind this behaviour as it means the server will consume less power when it isn't being utilized, but for some it may be annoying.

edit: oh just realised the only thing connected to the b120i is the ssd for ESXI - the spinners are connected to the crossflashed H310. So not sure how the b120i performs with spinners connected to it, never really noticed when I did have them connected for the first few weeks and using the machine as purely a nas, as opposed to the multi role machine it is now.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  4. gracey

gracey Member

Hoping someone can help, spent all afternoon installing windows 10 on one of these boxes, and all my software to go with it. Now it won't boot, stuck on the black loading screen with the spinning circle. Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

EDIT: Read the whole thread and all the windows problems and went for unraid.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  5. SLIMaxPower

SLIMaxPower Member

Is the ecc ram from the n40ls suitable

6. shazbot83

shazbot83 Member

I've just ordered mine with a Sammy 120gb SSD as a temporary OS drive. Can anyone recommend any 32gb memory kits for the ML10 V2? Looking at buying a Kingston KVR16E11K4 kit off Newegg at the moment...

7. OP
    OP
    cuahtemoc

cuahtemoc Member

Didn't work for me.

8. fox1

fox1 Member

I've just received my ML10 v2... are they meant to reboot multiple times from a cold boot?

The first time I booted up the system, it would do the whole system initialise % load thing, get to 100 and then shutdown, start back up again, repeat. Did that about 4 to 5 times.

Just booted it up again and only did the boot -> shutdown -> boot once...

Just wondering if there is a problem with my system. Don't want to start using a NAS if its just going to crap it self.

9. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

Yeah its normal - sometimes they'll behave once they've been through it several iterations, then they'll boot normally up until you make a hardware change (including adding a drive or memory) then the whole reboot shebang starts over again.

Particularly annoying when you have a buttload of memory in them as each additional stick adds time to the memory initialization check at around 30%.

But considering they're meant to be on 24/7 the reboot process shouldn't be too much of an issue - its just a pain in the bum if you turn it off at bedtime and then the next day have friends over for a movie and have to wait 15 frigging minutes for your server to boot.

Hence considering it draws less than a 40 watt light globe (old filament style) I just leave mine on. The fans in my APC ups make more noise than the server once its up and running the VM's - and that with an upgraded (E3-1281-V3) cpu.

The best way to commission one of these and I'm assuming most want to simply use them as media servers/torrent boxes/VM boxes etc, is to get all the hardware installed, let it do its reboot dance, throw on the operating system, let it do its updates, configure said O/S and let the machine do its thing.

Remeber that any change to the hardware, even adding a disk will usually trigger the reboot dance.

Another thing to keep in mind is these boxes aren't designed to have disks hot swapped. I personally haven't tried it even though I have some bay devices that allow disks to be inserted/removed conveniently. This is where the microservers with a correctly flashed bios come into their own - allowing hotswapping drives.

If you really want to turn it off at night (for example if it lives in your bedroom), you could set the bios to wake it roughly when you normally get up, or about half an hour before you get home from work/school so its already up and running when you go to access content on it.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  10. fox1

fox1 Member

Awesome, thanks for the info vk2fro, appreciated!

Ah cool, you did a cpu upgrade. E3-1281-V3 Damn! Specs are nice!

I've grabbed the ML10v2 to replace my HP NL36L :thumbup:, which is getting very long in the tooth, so had planned to run 24x7.

I've managed to get Synology DSM 6 installed, which was a little tricky, due to the scattered nature of the 'how to' information, most likely due to the different techniques required for different hardware.

Might do a little how-to here once I'm sure the battle station is fully operational.

11. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

That'd be good - one of my VM's is synology DSM 5.2 and I want to go to 6.0, but haven't checked recently - need to see if they have made the bootloader thingy recognise the LSI card for the raid disks in passthru mode. :)

12. fox1

fox1 Member

I got all my information from this thread on xpenology.com

My system information.
    I am running a new HP ML10v2 with 1 HDD.
    I changed my b120i sata to non-raid AHCI mode.

Here is what I did to run the latest Synology DS3615xs PAT version (6.0.2).

USB stick must remain in PC at all times. System boots off of this, sets up... fake bios?... then continues to boot the Synology software.

These steps worked for me, hopefully they work for everyone.

---

@vk2fro, maybe try a thread search on the one posted up top, I remember seeing a few people talk about LSI.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  13. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

Looks like they still need to patch the kernel (and to do this they need updated kernel source) to make certain mpt2sas devices work e.g. LSI9211-8i.

Wont be too long before they nail it :)

14. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

Mine worked fine, I had the kingston unbuffered PC3-12800 ECC in mine.

15. al'Thor

al'Thor Member

Is there a heatsink similar to the original but with a copper base that is compatible with the motherboard mount the mounting holes (75mm each way) pic of original

why? well I practiced deliding on the cpu, and since I have some liquid metal - I could use it - droping the temp a bit, would make it quieter.

16. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

I doubt you'll get this beast any quieter. Mine makes the same amount of noise the pentium made, with the Xeon. (See sig)

edit: typing on an iphone sucks :p

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  17. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

What you really need is to replace the fan. However it seems the fan is hp custom.

18. Crash Dummy

Crash Dummy Member

Hey guys I'm going to share with you possibly the dumbest but most amazing thing I've found with my ML10V2 so far.

The noise from mine was starting to drive me crazy. I had a thought, let's test to see what triggers the machine into being cranky.

Disconnect CPU fan. System shuts down immediately.

Disconnect intake air temp sensor. System shuts up because it assumes it's running at 0.C

That is all. The fan will still ramp up with CPU load as required but for my system I tried running IntelBurnTest on it for an hour and nothing got even remotely hot enough to worry about and it stayed quiet the whole time.

The only other mod I've done is add a low RPM 120mm fan to the hard drive cage.

19. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

I can't do that with mine - my raid card would cook. :p

And I sucessfully upgraded it to DSM 6.02 today - much improved over DSM 5. I also blew away the windows 2008 server VM, so now it only runs 2 VMs, mac os and Xpenology.

Today one of my 3Tb drives shat itself (well its reporting smart errors). I have copied the data on the machine across to the other nas and will rebuild tomorrow after I get a replacement drive.

Tonight I won't be using the server so I shut it down after the file copy. Then tomorrow I can let DSM discover that the 3Tb has been replace with a 5Tb and it can expand the array, as well as restoring the two disk redundancy. It was one of the famous seagate destructomatic DM001 3Tb so I knew it would fail sooner or later.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  20. yon2004

yon2004 Member

Finished configuring the ML10v2 last night. It's a pleasure to work on compared to some other systems I have had the misfortune of working with.
    I put a Dell H710 raid card in with 3x 4tb drives stock ram and cpu.
    Had it up and running in 20 minutes with server 2016 and copying data from my old Norco 2448. My Norco costs about $300-450 a year to run so my thinking is that this will pay for itself over the next 2-3 years just in power savings.