HP N40L Microserver as NAS via Acronis true Image

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by sjaeger172004, Aug 1, 2021.

1. sjaeger172004

sjaeger172004 Member

Hi all

I am thinking of keeping my N40L as a Microserver and having 1st drive as 250 SSD (OS) and one of my 4TB as for back ups.

I use Acronic and wondering if doing this via network router would be viable and how to do it as I can't afford a proper NAS solution atm as spent about $1000 on a 2TB 970 evo plus and a 4TB 870 Evo

Also wondering what is the max size 3.5inch HDD the HP will accept as will be buying more drives one at a time and would WD red NAS any good?

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  2. Opticon

Opticon Member

I use Macrium Reflect and backup all my PC's over the network to my unRAID server. Unless Acronis has a restriction on using the a network target then it should work fine

Someone has reported a 12TB WD Gold has worked in an N40L

https://n40l.fandom.com/wiki/Hard_drives

3. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Just setup FreeNAS on your microserver. It'll be fine.

4. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

You can put an SSD above the optical drive if you want to free up one of the lower drive bays. You can even use the cables from the DVD drive, assuming you don't need to use that, because it's 2021. WD Red NAS drives are pretty good. I'm not sure what the max size is, but these people have 4x 10TB in it, so I'm assuming any size will work. You might not be able to BOOT from drives bigger than 2TB but your SSD is under 2TB so you should be fine there.

Also it's worth noting you can put NVME drives in PCIe adapters into the two slots on the mobo if needed, adding even more storage. Or you can put something like an Adaptec 5805 or nicer into the slot and run some proper SAS RAID type stuff. But for home use a software RAID array under Linux is probably fine. Many people use Microservers for this.

5. al'Thor

al'Thor Member

Are there any hdds known to not work ?

6. miguelala

miguelala Member

I have a shucked 10GB WD White that works in a NL36/NL40.

7. Azrael

Azrael Member

Also remember you can use a R/O Linux image to boot off the internal USB port. That will let you run a bunch of good prepackaged NAS setups, like OpenMediaVault or FreeNAS.

mooboyj likes this.
  8. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

I've had about 5x different brands/models/sizes and had no issues, and if just running a single drive then you should be fine (no RAID to worry about)
    As above, if its a network target then should be no issue directing whatever app to it to save as a repository