1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

HP n40L power on / off

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by b-man, Jan 1, 2017.

1. b-man

b-man Member

Im trying to get my HTPC so its easy to power on and off.

i tried to set it up ages ago but didnt have much luck so i used to run the HTPC 24/7 so never really bothered with it.

now im looking to be able to easily power on and off the HTPC again

i tried setting wake on lan but the HTPC would just turn on a minute or so after i turned it off.

is there some sort of wake on usb where my usb infrared sensor can pickup a command from the harmony remote and turn it on? or os any remote button going to turn it on?

and ideally wake on lan for when i want to use it as a server

Power off...
    to turn it off - i can do it with the remote if im in front of it but since its a server aswell i would like to turn it off if im not there

i currently log in via remote desktop and run a shutdown.cmd i have made.
    is there any easier way?
    is there a way to cancel shutdown if i want?

2. OP
    OP
    b-man

b-man Member

ok so i finally got WOL to work without turning back on again every 5 minutes. I don't know if it was the bios update or reinstall of lan driver and setting it up again.

i have have a WOL widget on my phone that can turn it on great. (Android App: Wake on Lan)
    i can also access the WOL through my router to turn it on when i am not at home.

and also have a shutdown app on the phone. but it does require installing something on your pc (Android App: Shutdown Start Remote)

it would be nice to turn it on somehow with my harmony 650 but unsure how.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  3. cheddo7

cheddo7 Member

For Windows use this, just make sure USB/keyboard wake from sleep is enabled from Bios:

http://slicksolutions.eu

Been using this for years, does it without any setup for my Win10 HTPC, using MS remote control off button to sleep/wake.