HP Proliant Generation 8 Microserver Club

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by ktmrida, Jul 18, 2013.

1. fR33z3

fR33z3 Member

yep. disable cores in the bios if you are really worried. That said, i'm pretty sure i have a 69w xeon in mine and it fairs just fine. Maybe see how you go before you start stressing.

2. OP
    OP
    ktmrida

ktmrida Member

loooking to move mine to unraid

its a G1610T tho, and i want to run a windows VM inside unraid, From what i read, as my cpu is not vt-d it wont work? is this really the case?

3. sjp770

sjp770 Member

Yup. Not virtualization support means no VM option in unraid

4. adamos

adamos Member

I'm running unRAID with a G1610T (as in my sig) and I've got Server 2012 R2 running just fine in a auto-starting VM within unRAID?

5. sjp770

sjp770 Member

Oh.. Didn't show for me until i swapped the cpu.

Actually, I was interested in hardware level handover - a VT-D specific feature.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  6. Jazz

Jazz Member

Is anyone running a ML10V2 with XPenology? Want to make sure the boot from USB is a go.

7. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

I can boot my ml10V2 from a usb installed with freenas so I don't see why xpenology wouldn't work.

8. Jazz

Jazz Member

Thanks, someone mentioned in the microserver thread it was a no go, so wanted to check.

9. bergerac

bergerac Member

Does anyone know if the 5th sata port for the ODD is running off the B120i or off the chipset sata controller? Just wondering if I can pass through the b120i in esxi and run a datastore ssd of the extra port.

10. camx

camx Member

The 5th (ODD) port runs through the b120i as well, yep.

11. bergerac

bergerac Member

Thanks that saved me a lot of wasted time.

12. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

13. sjp770

sjp770 Member

I didn't upgrade the cooler but I have a xeon cpu in. I thing the cooler fits to the board in some weird way so be sure to double check that first.

14. Treggs

Treggs Member

Looking to upgrade my Gen 7 to a Gen 8 and wondering about the iLo stuff. What features does the iLo licence enable and how does it compare to the capabilities on the RAC I have in my Gen 7? I use most of the features on the RAC.

15. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

TBH, i havent used the iLo much since i got it. but, its got to be handy at some point in time ? darn boxen is so reliable i dont need to do anything to it :Paranoid:

16. Treggs

Treggs Member

I like the sound of that. My Gen 7 has been super reliable too but I do use the RAC for monitoring and mounting images etc.

17. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

during the initial setup/screw around phase i used the iLo to push whs, etc iso's to the box. so much easier than having a screen and keyboard hooked up.
    I'm currently running XPenology baremetal, so the iLo doesnt see much use.
    but, there is a major upgrade around the corner that will require a 'lids off' to get access to the boot usb stick. I'm thinking/hoping that the iLo will let me push that image to the usb stick and just have it boot and run with little effing around :thumbup:

edit - oh, and there's a firmware update available too that i'll definately be using iLo to push to it. just no hurry right now (again, reliable box aint broke, no need to fix)

18. Treggs

Treggs Member

Cool appreciate the info. Cheapest I can find the licence is on ebay for $60ish as the previous link doesn't work anymore. Anywhere to get the iLo licence any cheaper?

BTW, shoppingexpress has them on sale for $279 for the rest of today. Probably going to grab one and 16Gb of kingston ram. Total $437 if anyone needs some tax deductions :p

If anyone is after a loaded Gen 7 keep an eye on the for sale section in a week or so.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  19. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

There is a ebay seller that has iLo for $29, but not sure if any good/proper ??
    And warehouse1 has the G8 for the same money, so depends on where you are vs postage :thumbup:

edit - 29 bucks here --> http://r.ebay.com/RW8Yk1 worth checking if correct lic ??/

20. Treggs

Treggs Member

:thumbup: How did I not find that when I searched? Shopping express doesn't seem to be charging for postage. Will check warehouse one deal with ram.

Edit: Checked warehouse one and a 1610T with 16gb of the kingston ecc works out to within $2 at both places. (warehouse 1 are charging for delivery but the ram is more expensive at shopping express)