1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

HP Proliant Generation 8 Microserver Club

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by ktmrida, Jul 18, 2013.

1. bym007

bym007 Member

Thanks Blinky for sharing your experience.

I am weighing if NVMe storage usage for Unraid cache makes sense for me.

Blinky likes this.
  2. jonsey

jonsey Member

I'm not happy with you Blinkey, i briefly thought of adding drives to the 4 pcie g2 fullsize slots in my hp ml110 g7.

But a quick google search said the fans go nuts if anything non hp goes into the pcie slots.. i then forgot about the idea... The g7 is superloud compared to my silent n54l. I should have just paid the extra to get the g8 lol... it is much quieter after bios and firmware updates but I'm glad it is in the garage and I'm on the 3rd floor lol

But you know- priorities- why waste money on a fileserver when you can get a bottle of gin, but the reason for my grumpyness- now looking up prices to give me an idea of costs per gb......

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    Blinky likes this.
  3. Blinky

Blinky Member

Yes, getting some cache for these Rust_Based_Dinosaur Drives was where I was heading too. But I'm not on the Unraid-team, I'm with ZFS.

:Paranoid: Meeep!!

Hindsight, what-ya going to do ...
    I like any proper server board that has some sort of out of band management, that way there is no need to go down levels to press a button or load media on the server. The Gen8's iLO is what makes it so good.
    There is another solution I use with a Raspberry Pi. There are two of them, this is the cheaper project, have a look. Tiny Pilot KVM I have extra parts if you want to build for cheap.

I gave up drinking years ago mostly because I was on-call 24/7. Sometimes I think it would be cheaper to start drinking again - so many shiny computer bits to buy! :D

4. bym007

bym007 Member

It does not have to be either or. You can have Unraid with ZFS. Watch Linus get it configured for his home server.

5. Blinky

Blinky Member

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    bym007 likes this.
  6. Blinky

Blinky Member

I'm still not grasping WHY I want Unraid, what is it doing for me that I can't do myself and keep my money?

Oh god, remember to breathe, calm calm, oh no not another segway to their sponsor - make it stop, ahhhh! :lol::lol::p

bym007 likes this.
  7. glenncol

glenncol Member

Hi all, i am looking for additional memory of my G8, I am about to throw in a Xeon E3-1220V2 and I am looking for at least an 8Gb module, I have been looking for what memory is compatible but it's doing my head, does anyone know what is compatible?

Thanks in advance

8. Blinky

Blinky Member

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
  9. glenncol

glenncol Member

10. jonsey

jonsey Member

This just reminded me, my poor microserver only running on 4 gig ram. I have 8 gig ecc spare sitting in the draw. I shall give it some affection when the power goes out later due to the storm

Blinky likes this.
  11. Blinky

Blinky Member

Spoken like a true sysadmin! :Paranoid: :lol:

Do you have a UPS and NUT for a graceful shutdown or it’s just spin the hard drive and where it parks it’s heads nobody knows?

Edit: That power outage issue just got real tonight with info on the Brissy news talking about power outages and load shedding. They were suggesting that we shouldn’t hit the aircon too hard, FFS. What year were we living in again? I bet the people who have Tesla Powerwalls are just looking at each other and smiling. ;)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
  12. bym007

bym007 Member

Since I put my UPS in, the only times my Gen8 has shutdown is either due to human intervention, or due to garage overheating.

13. jonsey

jonsey Member

No UPS here, nothing mission critical at home. I have on occasion done the manual process of- sudo shutdown ... then unplugged when a storm approached.

14. jonsey

jonsey Member

I was completely fine running openmediavault on my local nas and ubuntu server on the overseas dedi server. Then Blinky posts things about unraid .... (i cant just blame Blinky, i tried 3 times to get truenas installed first 'it didnt like the 3 usbs i tried), was going to install via ilo but tried unraid instead.

6 days of flapping around with preclear and then adding a drive to the array and then copying over 8tb then clearing the next drive then adding to the array- what a painful process!

However, after all that complaining, and time copying over 40tb there is finally an end in sight! I'm up to the creating parity part. Only 8 hrs to go of the 16 hrs estimated time to build... Them drives getting warm and working hard.

May have added an extra 2 ssds and 2 more 8Tb drives in the ODD bays.... 3 VMs running after a friend reached out after hetzner raised their dedicated server (auction) prices over 30% so guess i have my first customer lol.

Now back to the NVMe array idea and planning for a new perminant server and looking for deals on drives... looking forward to this old server the 15 bay DAS and the microserver going back into retirement.

15. Blinky

Blinky Member

No! don't blame me bym007 is the UnRaid person!
    I'm more than happy to throw down a "zpool create" or "mdadm -C". :thumbup:

bym007 likes this.
  16. bym007

bym007 Member

*Unraid :tongue:

17. bym007

bym007 Member

Agree, preclear is pretty painful process for impatient mortals like myself. If memory serves me correctly, I had to wait 3-4 days when I ran preclear (multiple step pre-clear) on my shucked Seagate Exos.

If I were building a new server from scratch in future, I would probably let the disks run pre-clear in parallel and not do the actual copy/move part, until the pre-clear comes all green.
    That way, if a disk fails during pre-clear, I have not lost any effort. And my data is still at rest on original storage.

18. bym007

bym007 Member

I am no way demanding that sort of performance from my Unraid box, but the thought of NVMe cache disks excites me a little.

Or may be its the itch to spend time reading countless forums, lock hardware and budget, spend my cold savings and build a new server.

19. bonox

bonox Member

just out of curiosity, are those of you chasing nvme cache drives all running greater than gigabit networks on your NAS?

20. Blinky

Blinky Member

10Gb fiber here, but no nvme caching, only 1TB sata cache. I think it's a Samsung 870, yeah must be now that I think about it.