1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. jobski

jobski Member

Ahhhh I could've got rid of my 550w fileserver with this :(

Too much fail for having such low quantity available at that price :tongue:

Hope some magic happens and someone decides to sell a spare to me :D

2. spedwards

spedwards Member

My goodies from mwave didn't arrive today:
    Looks like the driver just cruised around Sydney with the package for 12 hours :thumbdn:

3. Snuffy22

Snuffy22 Member

im running this card, works perfectly, 1080p etc
    xbmc with 23k indexed files, this little hp handles it easy

4. ocskat

ocskat Member

My current config:
    RAM: 2GB (2x1GB ECC)
    HDD: standard 250GB (more to come)
    BIOS: 30 Sep 2010
    Purpose: NAS+HTPC (with Dell U2311 monitor at 1920x1080, No sound card yet, No dedicated graphics card)

Two quick comments:
    1. I managed to simplify the WHS installation (see Stanza's write-up on pg 10) by installing from a bootable 1GB USB flash drive where I had copied the WHS DVD and additional drivers). No slipstreaming needed. AHCI was enabled throughout the installation. The trick was to add the AHCI driver at the beginning of the WHS installation when selecting the drive to install WHS on. If anyone is interested in more details, let me know.

2. I managed to consistently get smooth H264 full HD playback without a dedicated graphics card. Make sure you have installed the embedded AMD HD 4200 driver and enabled Full Hardware Acceleration in the Display Properties/Settings/Advanced/Troubleshoot. At first I installed the VLC 1.1.9 player and got smooth MPEG2 playback in 1080i (FTA channel in HD Homerun) and H264 playback up to 720p (movie trailer). However, I then installed the CCCP codec pack v2010-10-10, enabled DXVA H264 in the Settings and voila! Using the included Media Player Classic Home Cinema, I have been getting H264 1080p smooth playback with the CPU load at mere 15-25% (excluding audio).

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  5. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

I think it's always been noted that the internal GPU can handle h264, however the box is limited to VGA output, hence the desire for an external card.

the need for a USB audio/pci-e audio card and then working with a VGA connection almost makes the 40ish dollar investment into a GPU with HDMI a no brainer, digital video signal and audio at the same time, no USB's to be seen :D

6. ocskat

ocskat Member

So far I have only seen people report choppy/unusable 1080p playback on the onboard graphics.

Horses for courses. Some people may be happy with analog HD VGA out and a dedicated USB audio/pci-e audio.

7. MetalPhreak

MetalPhreak Member

I mentioned it a few times in the main thread, disappointing HP didn't put HDMI onboard when all the hardware is already there. Then again, its marketed as a server not a NAS/HTPC.

8. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

even though it does bloody well as a HTPC too :p

9. TheFlock

TheFlock Member

Are you running XBMC on Linux or Windows? Ive read some bad things about ATI and Linux.

10. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

the bad things are usually the driver support, nvidia has historically had a better support for linux, due to better unix driver support, but recently ATI has been doing much better on the linux front compared to the past, however nvidia still surpasses but not as much as they used to.

11. TheFlock

TheFlock Member

So what would be the best card (That supports hardware decoding on Linux) for this box? I never planned on adding one in originally (Headless file server), but in the future I don't see the harm in it.

After some research I've found it's really hard to get an idea of what's supported on Linux in the ways of hardware decoding, most the discussions I can find are from a few years ago.

12. Snuffy22

Snuffy22 Member

Im running Windows 7 with XBMC on it, i decided to go with win7 over the live xbmc as i also do alot of other stuff with the box

13. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

there really isn't much discussion on it because it's fairly mature as far as I can tell, nvidia actually writes unix drivers for the cards anyway, so purevideo is supported out of the box.

pretty much all you have to consider is size (low profile), power consumption(low), cost, PCI-E.

edit: looking at the current offering, it looks like 8400GS is one of the cheapest you can get that meet the above criteria
    edit2: that will handle the majority of what you throw at it, but it doesn't support the full feature set of purevideo, it's a Feature Set A

Feature Set A
    Complete acceleration for H.264
    Partial acceleration for MPEG-1, MPEG-2, VC-1/WMV9

Feature Set B
    Complete acceleration for MPEG-1, MPEG-2, VC-1/WMV9 and H.264.
    All feature set B hardware cannot decode H.264 for the following widths: 769-784, 849-864, 929-944, 1009-1024, 1793-1808, 1873-1888, 1953-1968, 2033-2048 pixels.

Feature Set C
    Complete acceleration for MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 Part 2 (a.k.a MPEG-4 ASP), VC-1/WMV9 and H.264.
    Global motion compensation and Data Partitioning are not supported for MPEG-4 Part 2.

for Feature Set C your looking at a GT210.

14. TheFlock

TheFlock Member

Thanks.

If anyone else has tested this on linux, could they please let us know the results.

15. peterz

peterz Member

You'd have to also consider the requirements for any audio playback too, correct?

16. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

it takes a bit of work, but it is possible, xmbc wiki has more info on it, even ours does too.

17. peterz

peterz Member

As in, there is no soundcard, if you want audio playback look at finding a videocard that also supports it - or get a USB soundcard or internal?

18. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

i never thought of that, is the HDMI audio passthrough considered a sound card?

I mean the GT210 does support audio passthrough, OCAU users have used it in xmbc builds, however the microserver is unique in the fact it has no onboard sound card...

19. peterz

peterz Member

Pass through requires a sound card, so no good - and another tick for the HD 5450.

20. 35k

35k Member

I've finally had some time to start on my MicroServer.

I've installed:
    - Debian Squeeze onto 8GB USB drive on the internal USB port with dm-crypt (ext2 no journal, no swap to reduce flash wear)

I plan to install:
    - 6x 2TB drives (have two living in the optibay area) and use mdadm raid6 + dm-crypt

I also plan to see if I can squeeze an nvidia GT220 with low profile bracket into the chassis and if I can, might use this as my xbmc box.