HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. TheFlock

TheFlock Member

However no confirmation that Audio is working on Linux. I can't find any references to suggest it does. :(

2. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

How are you going to get 2 3.5 inch drives into the ODD area?

3. koma_white

koma_white Member

There was mention of being able to fit two 3.5" drives sideways, with a little bit of dremel work to cut a slot for the cables.

4. spite

spite Member

I have just been messing around with my Microserver. I have 5x Seagate Barracuda Green LP's (4 in the bays, 1 in the ODD Bay with a bracket). I also have a Patriot 8G Xporter XT Flash in the onboard USB socket. I threw in 8gb of (2x4GB) G.Skill RAM. Its currenty installing Linux.

/ - Patriot 8GB - EXT2 (no swap).
    /data/ - Raid5 - EXT4 - 6.8GB

I am using Ubuntu 11.04 server ... and I will be totally honest, the flash disk is stupid slow.

I am installing off a bootable USB 250Gb WD Elements 2.5" Hard disk ..... which I am very seriously contemplating double sided taping this to the 3.5" in the ODD as it will fit on top of this disk and below the plastic casing. I would then plug this into the USB port where the flash is. Whether it's just this flash disk or not, the I/O performance is terrible .... :(

The standard Ubuntu partitioning tools (which to do raid, you need to go into manual mode) create partitions that aren't 4k friendly. This saw the RAID5 array building at 12mbyte/s. After aligning the sectors I am getting 75mbyte/s on the mdadm rebuild, which makes me warm in the pants (compared to my QNAP).

Just a general comment, this box/format is worth 10x what my QNAP410 is .... glad I got two .... :D Don't get me wrong, the QNAP software is great this box just offers endless options.

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  5. Kaddude

Kaddude Member

Thanks for all the help and suggestions from all posters so far.

Re: flashing the BIOS - I am a little confused. Both Goose's and Soarer's versions have a file called O41_AHCI.ROM, however this file is not in the "Flat Files" directory in Soarer's post (see here: http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=13179181&postcount=77). Soarer does not refer to this file at all, even though it is in the "UPDATE_BIOS_041/" directory he provided. So I cannot see how to use this O41_AHCI.ROM file.

:confused: Help... I am leaning to just following Soarer's post exactly as he's documented it, but I just want to be sure.

6. ktmrida

ktmrida Member

kaddude

you got to run adci.bat after booting from the bios usb drive

7. silenthunter

silenthunter Member

Has anyone got the ATI 5430 working under XBMC Ubuntu/XBMC Live. XBMC doens't ship with drivers for ATI by default and I can't seem to get anyworking. When I try to play a video it just send me back to the menu.

Thinking it might be easier to just swap it over for a GT210.

8. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

Sorry for the confusion. I renamed that file so the process is slipstreamed with the HP bios flash.

ie... the HP bios flash puts the right one on instead of the old one then manually putting the updated one on. I'll update my notes.

9. gords

gords Oh deer!

Just a note to all those installing WHS (or Windows Server 2003) on these - use the driver for the Broadcom NIC from September 2010, not May 2010. The one from May isn't stable while lots of files are being copied, but the one from September seems to be. It's here on the HP website.

10. Tali

Tali Member

Well, got all 6x 2TB Samsungs running in a nice raidz1 ZFS array.. on linux, not using FUSE...

Being battering it for about 24 hours with bonnie, hasnt failed yet, so I'll put some real data on there now, see what happens.

McLuvin my MicroServer :D

11. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Care to elaborate?

12. OP
    OP
    oli

oli Member

Also interested...

I just set up mine properly. Bought two new Deskstars yesterday so I've got 2x2TB in RAID1 for the OS and I'll put 2x2TB in the other bays. I've got a Welland thing as well to play with.

Also lol@silenthunter and the life story in the spreadsheet. Distorting all the cell sizes dude! :lol:

13. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

Admiral Ackbar! how big is your OS?

14. Stanza

Stanza Member

OK I updated my specs on the google spreadsheet.

Decided I am going to try my HP SG44Ge SAS card in this.

This will allow my to add the Supermicro 4x2.5inch in the CD/DVDrom bay and give me 9 drives.

Bonus of this card is it is an 8 port card (4 internal and 4 external) so later if space runs out I can connect to some more drives externally :thumbup:
    Does Raid 0, 1 and 0+1

Second bonus is they are a lot cheaper than the P410 raid cards.

Sniff around ebay and they pop up every now and then for $10:)

Got the SC44Ge here, but still waiting for my Supermicro CSE-M14TB's to rock up yet to confirm it all works / fits

Think I will setup the 4 x 72gig SAS drives as Raid 0+1, then they will be my NFS back to ESXi / Citrix Xenserver test boxen.

15. OP
    OP
    oli

oli Member

Hah well actually I just have three partitions on each 2TB drive:

sda1,sdb1 = 200MB RAID 1 for /boot
    sda2,sdb2 = 25GB RAID 1 for /
    sda3,sdb3 = RAID 1 LVM (will span over to the other two 2TB drives I will install soon)

16. blue_panther9_9

blue_panther9_9 Member

17. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

my bad :p
    10char.

18. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

how did you get 6 drives into this thing o.o?

19. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

eSata port routed from the back back into the case.

20. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

holy jesus,
    a guy crammed 9 drives into the one case, 8x 3.5'', 1x 2.5''

he has 4 in the bays and 4 in the top, and the 2.5 somewhere..
    edit: actually 9 drives

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

he hadn't cabled the top pair, but it should be possible.