HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. Kaddude

Kaddude Member

Soarer GT,
    do you have to do the BIOS update to get that rear eSATA port to run at full speed? Also, can I use a standard SATA cable in that port?

2. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

eSata's use a different plug, but you just need to get a cable with said plug on the end.

3. OP
    OP
    oli

oli Member

Hah, how silly. Bet it gets a bit toasty in there...

4. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

I'm curious to see how much heat they really do dissipate, given if he can get airflow through there, it's a viable option.

5. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

6. 35k

35k Member

Update:
    I had an Asus Nvidia GT210 sitting around (ModeL: http://www.asus.com.au/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/EN210_SILENTDI1GD3V2LP/) and decided to give it a go.

I've got it running under linux, with sound. So it does support audio processing in its own right.

The only thing I had to do was take off the heatsink, flatten the fins with a hammer (heh!), put some thermal paste back on and put the heatsink back on. Was then able to make it fit.

So if you're buying a video card, there's not a lot of room for heatsink/fans so keep that in mind.

7. rugger

rugger Member

Straight from the book of angry computer assembly :)

8. domlebo

domlebo Member

Truth me told assembly makes any programmer rage.

9. Ulan

Ulan Member

poastin to report some findings with my Microserver.

haven't purchased any drives yet so just playing with the media capabilities of the box as I was interested to know if it could be used as a HTPC and possibly a NAS simultaneously.

was able to play 1080p content (8gb wmv) smoothly at approx 55% CPU usage (both cores) over gigabit lan.

Totally unmodified server (1gb ram/250gb hard drive)
    Ubuntu 11.04 with XBMC
    Catalyst 11.4 drivers (drivers that came with Ubuntu = jerky video)

I then tried 1080p h264 but it wasn't smooth. :(

10. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

I've got my WHS2011 box setup now. I took the 1GB ECC out of my to-be ESX box and put it in the WHS2011 box making it 2GB ECC. HDD's: 160GB HDD as the OS, the 250GB as the client backup drive and a 2TB for my media. I decided to put a DVD ODD and used it for the install of WHS2011 but I'm not sure it'll get used again.

I've installed the WHS client on our laptops and set them up to backup which works nicely, better than using USB caddies when remembering to do it a couple of times a year! My Acer Revo HTPC now streams its media from the MicroServer rather than the USB caddy. I'm quite happy with this setup. Now I just need to configure a backup of the WHS2011.

For my to-be ESX lab box I've received 8GB of DDR3 non-ECC RAM. I'll be installing ESX to a USB key in the internal slot and using the 250GB HDD for my hosts. I may grab another drive for it if i need more space.

11. RamesesNiblick3

RamesesNiblick3 Member

Could someone with ESXi running please confirm that pci-passthrough is not supported. I just tried to test this but I need more ram before I can install ESXi.

12. danyell

danyell Member

try out openelec.tv (xbmc live mod) instead, you might have better luck with the driver support

13. ocskat

ocskat Member

On Windows, smooth 1080p h264 is possible through DXVA.
    In Linux/XBMC, have a look at this thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=80940

14. Syslink

Syslink Member

Is there anyone running ZFS with non-ECC memory?

15. Tali

Tali Member

Sure, just ask, new to ZFS so still learning myself :p
    but to begin, where I did..
    http://zfsonlinux.org/

There are PPA's for Ubuntu 11.04 in there, but I compiled and made the .deb's myself on the microserver, just cause.. well, I could? :)

Only one thing to note, cause of the way the make script appears to be, dont "make -j 2" on it, it bugs out..

Yes, but see above, I do know ZFS loves ECC when doing scrubbing, havent done a scrub.. just yet :)

16. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

I'll be interested to see what happens over time with that, native ZFS on linux would be great for me.

17. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

Me.

8GB of normal RAM

18. TheFlock

TheFlock Member

Thank you for the confirmation that this card works under linux. Tried XBMC?

Could you upload some pictures of the heatsink post-hammer? :)

19. Syslink

Syslink Member

Interesting what are you guys planning on doing with your setups? Just a test lab or you are guys not too concerned with data integrity??

I'm looking to use the microserver as a fileserver i.e. personal documents etc and just wondering if ECC is really necessary for a home box. Of course, with zfs I'd still take eternal backups.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  20. carney

carney Member

Where on msdn is Windows Home Server 2011 available? I was looking at it on a colleague's login and we couldn't find it, looked under Windows server but only 2008 R2, 2008, 2003 etc was available. Even using the search, results came up but it was only documentation.