HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. ktmrida

ktmrida Member

Hey can anyone note what kind of raid cards work in this device where the mini SAS connector will plug right in??

Dont want to for out for a hp 400 card

I want hardware raid 5

2. RamesesNiblick3

RamesesNiblick3 Member

The main reason for using ECC memory is to prevent bit rot, zfs is essentially an ecc file system, so its functionally immune to bit rot. If your memory errors though the error will be written to the file system as a correct bit, so zfs doesn't know there's an error. ECC ram should give you a system that can detect and correct any bit rot that might occur.

So for performance it makes no difference, but for data integrity it removes the next biggest source of error now that the file system is covered.

3. MetalPhreak

MetalPhreak Member

4. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

for the cost of HP 410, you'd be hard pressed to get hardware RAID 5 for much cheaper than that, it is however possible, usually the cheapest cards are the ones that are abundant in the corporate sector, so your looking at Dell, HP, IBM. usually they are re branded card from LSI and the like.

5. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Not sure on MSDN, I'm using my TechNet copy for now.

6. ktmrida

ktmrida Member

Guys

Im having some issues, ive thrown Server 2008 R2 on for some testing

Ive got a 80gb ssd as my boot on the ODD port (flashed bios) and 4x 2tb Hitachi 5k3000s

I have, just as a muck around setup a software Raid5 using the MS disk manager, and i can copy from the SSD to the R5 locally at around 400mb/s which i think is OK for a local xfer

Connectivity wise is all gigabit, hp server - procurve managed gig switch - PC

PC and switch both have flow control and jumbo frames set to ON, but the microserver using the microsoft version of the NIC drive does not allow me to adjust the jumbo frames to 9k

If i copy from my PC (Running a single sata 160gb drive) i copy to the server at 35MB/s, If i copy from the server i get about 70mb/s

Are these normal figures considering my setup or should i be looking to tweak more? or go for a better OS, the final OS of choice will more than likely be WHS2011 hence why im testing in 2008 R2 until i can get a copy when it comes out

Im thinking my PC (Win7 64bit, 4gb, 160gb sata, Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00ghz) may not have the speed to write quick ?

EDIT: upon further testing, it seems it MAY be my PC, if i do a local copy on my PC, as in just copying a 2gb from one folder to another on the PC i only nanage 45MBs so does this sound to be my issue?

EDIT2: IF i go onto the microserver and browse to the PC, i can PULL that 2gb file at over 110MB/s to the SSD boot drive which rules out the above issue

if i PULL to the Raid 5 array i only get around 90MBs, Im using std windows AHCO drivers too should i be using AMD ?

So if im ont he PC and copy to the server i get 40MBs
    if im on the server and PULL from the PC i get over 110MBs

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  7. mouth

mouth Member

VMWare ESXi vs Microsoft Hyper-V Server vs Xen Server

For those using a virtualisation OS as the host, has anyone tried Microsoft Hyper-V 2008 Server R2 with SP1?

Interested in the merits and performance of VMWare ESXi vs Microsoft Hyper-V Server vs Citrix XenServer.

Which have you gone with, and why?

8. smackus

smackus Member

@-mb-
    what ram are you using? the stock 1gb ecc?

@mouth
    I was going to use esxi on bare metal and have whs2011 and pfsense as guess but read that the mircoserver doesn't support passthrough so file serving performance would be lacking.
    I'll be trialling ws2008 r2 and hyper-v pfsense instead.
    Haven't looked at xenserver yet.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  9. rugger

rugger Member

Hmmm, first of all, I'd use up to date NIC drivers ... The broadcom ethernet chip used on the microserver isn't a simple design like desktop realtek ones, so use the latest drivers from HP (or broadcom) instead of the windows default ones to make sure all the acceleration features are working correctly.

However, your main problem could be either one of the two following things IMO:

a) Poor software RAID 5 performance under windows ... sorry, but windows kinda sucks at software raid 5.
    b) Poor client performance ... you really need an really modern 7200rpm drive, a velociraptor, or a SSD on the client to feed at gigabit speeds (and the file has to be not fragmented and towards to fast side of the drive)

10. Kaddude

Kaddude Member

I have loaded VMWare ESXI 4.1.0 onto the Microserver, and Windows Home Server 2011 as a Virtual Machine. I am copying large files to the WHS2011 Virtual Machine drives from my PC. The copies start at about 60MB/s, but gradually drop to 20-25MB/s.

To try speed this up, I have set the Network Adapter in WHS to have 9K jumbo frames, however I don't believe it supports jumbo frames. It did seem to cause problems when I did this - eg I was unable to ise Remote Desktop to get into WHS from my PC.

To get better speeds, should I purchase a seperate low profile Network Card that supports jumbo frames? If so, any suggested cards and places to purchase them?

11. smackus

smackus Member

12. ktmrida

ktmrida Member

I am using a HP 4GB ECC stick as certified for this server by kingston

I will install chipset and NIC drivers now, and do a file test from my laptop which has a SSD.

Thanks

13. Kaddude

Kaddude Member

14. rugger

rugger Member

I thought it did support jumbo frames ... at least the broadcom website about the onboard adaptor said it did.

15. Tali

Tali Member

Not overly concerned, I will move to ECC RAM once a bit more $$$ ends up freeing up in my bank account :)

Not for personal documents etc, primarily a video and music storage, + a few other things (SABnzbd, Sickbeard, Couchpotato and ZNC)

Basically, so I can turn my power hungry beast of a PC off when Im at work and in bed :)

16. Kaddude

Kaddude Member

where did you see that, Rugger? Do you have the link?

17. Kaddude

Kaddude Member

18. smackus

smackus Member

oh well. Jumbo frames didn't make a difference in my network. I'm getting 70-100Mb transfers without it.

19. GooSE

GooSE New Member

I've finally got FreeBSD installed (on a 4GB USB flash drive) with ZFS and Samba set up. It's pretty lightweight, weighing in at about 600MB total.

I've only got a single disk zpool set up at the moment, using the factory 250GB Seagate. Network performance so far is quite good, although for some reason writes are faster than reads (100MB/sec write, 80MB/sec read).

Also, I ordered 4GB of Crucial ECC for US$60, which I'm having shipped over with some ski gear I ordered recently. :thumbup:

20. Oblong Cheese

Oblong Cheese Member