HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. rugger

rugger Member

http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/faq_drivers.php

Just browsing the FAQ telling you have to setup jumbo frames.

Edit: Appears I am mistaken

http://www.broadcom.com/collateral/pg/5723-PG100-R.pdf

The programmers manual for the chipset indicates it doesn't support jumbo frames.

Edit: The good news is that the other accelleration features on the BCM5723 are supported in IPv6, so the adaptor is fairly futureproof

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  2. Ghostofchris

Ghostofchris Member

I'm now an owner of one of these! :D

3. spedwards

spedwards Member

Are you not concerned about the WD20EARS and advanced formatting with Solaris? This is was steered me towards the Ubuntu Server / webmin solution over Solaris / napp-it.

4. Tali

Tali Member

Can you expand on that?
    Are you worried about ZFS on Linux, or ZFS on FUSE for Linux?

5. MetalPhreak

MetalPhreak Member

6. kingwang26

kingwang26 Member

Hey cheese,

I got one too, hooked it up with 3 of my 2TB's
    Bloody awesome

anyway, whats going on with GT5 Races?

7. Oblong Cheese

Oblong Cheese Member

I was not aware of what you are talking about. I haven't read every post in these massive HP microserver threads. :wired: Is it similar to Linux where you have to ensure the filesystem is 4k-aligned?

I am worried about the implementation of ZFS on Linux. I understand the filesystem itself is one of the best for data integrity, but I have also read that ZFS on Linux isn't well supported, and I would be wary about using a port whose credentials/performance/implementation I am unaware of. I see it like using EXT2/3 on Windows. Sure it works, but do you really trust it?

Cool. I went with five drives from the outset because it is impossible to expand a ZFS raid with more disks.

8. spedwards

spedwards Member

Yeah, pretty much. I haven't seen enough people saying that it will work well on a Solaris environment to give me the confidence to try. There are lots of people saying it *should* be OK, but most people are saying that it's best to avoid it where possible. Also, there is mention of poor perfomance which doesn't sit well with my.

I'd rather stick with the option where a suitable number of people say that it's not a problem and that appears to be Linux/mdadm.

Happy to have someone say otherwise, I'd prefer Solaris with ZFS if it's going to work well!

9. Oblong Cheese

Oblong Cheese Member

Well, after a bit of a Google, all I have to say is: okay.

Yeah, it looks like these disks won't "Just Work(TM)" with ZFS, but I am not too worried about it. I don't really understand all the terminology used but I assume the solution is to align the partition on the disk properly and then make sure the filesystem is performing reads and writes in an "aligned" fashion.

At least I think that's what this post is talking about.

Also, I've apparently missed the part where you can actually install something into the 5.25" bay - it doesn't appear to have standard screw holes, and uses some kind of sliding tray mechanism - how are other people mounting their 5.25" to 3.5" bay adapters?

10. Chrysilis

Chrysilis Member

Put the special screws in the outside of the adaptor, screw hard drive into middle and slide in :)

11. Oblong Cheese

Oblong Cheese Member

12. OP
    OP
    oli

oli Member

13. ktmrida

ktmrida Member

14. michaeljf

michaeljf Member

15. spedwards

spedwards Member

+1

Mine arrived today and went straight in after dinner. Took me a while to get the tray out, not matter what I did it kept binding - then I realised that the D-SUB connector was screwed in the back *idiot*

On the size factor, these are the teeny-tiniest bit larger than the OEM stick. So there are no issues fitting to the space available.

16. spedwards

spedwards Member

I might have to give a Solaris 11 LiveCD a whirl then after I flash the BIOS.

17. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

How were you transferring? SMB? FTP?

18. 5p1k3y

5p1k3y Member

How is everybody getting suck quick write speeds mine is like 30mb/s max on gigbit =[

19. Error-prone

Error-prone Member

Got mine setup as a media server running unRAID with 3x1TB 1x250GB, pretty much noob at this but it looks like it's doing the trick as a home media server.

Getting 10MB/s up and down, copying from server to win7 & win7 to server. Is this ok...? lol

20. peterz

peterz Member

What OS / storage method are you using? I think most are using ZFS in some form