HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. Puddleglum

Puddleglum Member

Thanks for sharing that. I've been tossing up getting WHS 2011 and was originally going to go to Computerwholesale as they're slightly cheaper, but they're currently out of stock.

2. Rezin

Rezin Member

http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?601-Switch-from-i386-to-amd64

3. hokinrazi

hokinrazi Member

Has anyone had any issues installing Nexentastor on their Microserver.

I've got 4 x hitachi 3tb 5k3000 drives and 8gb of the Kingston ECC memory, I'm installing to a 4gb USB stick in the port on the motherboard, it's just an overly generic stick, but I've tried 2 different ones and have the same issue with both.

It's taking ages to install, it took about 30 minutes for it to get to 3% complete, and when I checked this morning after it had been running about 8 hours it was "verifying install"

Has anyone seen anything like this? I've got a faster Patriot stick I'll test with tonight, but I'm not sure there isn't something else happening, I get 30mb/sec copying to the stick I'm installing to when copying in windows, so I don't think the performance is big of an issue.

Installing off a USB DVD drive, I might see if I can put the ISO onto a USB stick to boot off and see if that makes a difference, but I'm tempted to have just install freenas and test with that instead.

4. Puddleglum

Puddleglum Member

Sounds like you made the same mistake I just did. An email address with the format <your name>+<companyname>@xxx.com processes OK but their order tracker doesn't like it. I had to ring up and ask them to remove the latter part of the string.

5. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

I've never set up one of these little servers up before and I think it's time to migrate from external caddy storage to a NAS. If I was to get one of these HPs with say four 2tb drives, what would be the simplest way to start off with? OS and RAID wise? I have a lot of data which needs to be kept safe so that's a must. Thanks guys.

6. teksavvy

teksavvy Member

how about you just install and run 64bit freeNAS off USB without attaching any storage drives to keep it safe and then try importing config from 32bit to see if it work?

7. brodsta

brodsta Member

To anyone running the Intel CT Gigabit NIC with Solaris 11 Express or openindiana: did you have trouble getting this to connect? The e1000g driver that ships with openindiana 151 doesn't seem to support it fully. Don't really understand why this NIC would be working in SE11 but not openindiana. :(

8. Jazz

Jazz Member

9. snowman

snowman Member

Well, I decided to ditch the various *nix flavours I was playing with and install Vista for now, to see how Windows went on it. Also worked out well, as I found a pci-e USB3/ Sata3 card that I bought at Officeworks on clearance months ago (before I had a use for it, just couldnt resist the card for $8 each :) ).

The card is an Asus U3S6 card. I just had to cut down & alter the bracket at the back to fit (not easy!), but now have 2 USB3 ports at the rear, and another 2 x internal SATA connectors for later on if I want to add a couple more laptop drives into the box :)

10. BoDGie

BoDGie Member

Note to those trying to upgrade the firmware - in the USB creator, check the drive name & letter it's about to format.

I stupidly only looked at the name which said "Rambo USB" (the brand of my usb memory) and not the drive letter. Ended up destroying a 1TB partition on one of my drives..... *sigh*

11. rugger

rugger Member

Just make sure if you use this card with linux, you use one of the newer kernel versions ... older versions crash eventually when using the U3S6 card.

12. einsteinagogo

einsteinagogo New Member

I'm pretty sure I know what is going on here. Check the Freenas console, and check for bge0 watchdog timeout, where the NIC has gone offline, and then is reset.

it's rubbish, and the cause is the bge0 NIC driver, the problem happenes in freenas 0.7, freebsd, and freenas 8 using the onvboard NIC, solution check the NIC, for a new one, in the PCI-e slot.

You could also check using a simple ping <ip address> -t , and I bet, the NIC goes offline often!

13. htpcfan

htpcfan Member

Xigmatech XSF-F1252 - same fan design but has no LED, same noise level (20dBA) but is an 1800rpm fan and shifts 75CFM.

or if you want really quiet, go the Xigmatech XOF-F1251, has lower airflow of 50CFM but is also much quieter at 14bDA.

I can't recall if they have silicone mounts in the pack with the fans.. if they don't then try getting some of those as well to lessen vibration on the case.

14. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

Make sure it's a suitable RPM too.. IE read this:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1193-page7.html

15. Beanz

Beanz Member

Finally started looking at setting up one of the 3 units I have.

8GB ECC Kingston
    4 x 2TB Hitachi HDD
    Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
    Software RAID10

Was going to use this to run Samba and replace my current Thecus NAS as well as run Zimbra which I currently have on an 8.04 box and use for my mail.

I see nearly everyone who bought these machines are adding hardware RAID controllers, is this because the CPU wont be powerful enough for the software RAID configuration?

16. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

some want the extra ports that a raid card adds. some want the raid card for the backup battery and cache.

17. rugger

rugger Member

Some people are adding RAID card so they can use ESXi on their machines.

Others are adding them so they can fit 6-8 drives in the top 5 1/4inch drive panel.

However, if you are sticking with the stock 4 drives, I see no reason to get a raid card.

I think some people forget that once you start spending hundreds upgrading a microserver, it is not being a cheap server anymore :D

If you are using it just for samba, I'd probably even ditch the 8gig RAM and do something else with it. 1gig is probably enough for your needs.

18. Beanz

Beanz Member

If it's just that, then that makes sense. I'm reasonably new to "Software" RAID and assumed there was some other reason.

I've always preferred hardware RAID, purely for the fact that the OS just does its thing and doesn't get involved when a drive fails. That's when problems occur IMO. But I can't justify the cost when its coming out of my own pocket. :)

I might do that for one of the others I have, and setup ESXi. I've setup ESXi for a couple of clients on Dell PowerEdge T710 servers and would find it quite handy to have my own box actually.

I am running Zimbra and will probably run another site aongside it. I will use the box for other bits and pieces as well (ssh to clients etc)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  19. rugger

rugger Member

Linux software raid is surprisingly good.

20. FalconGT

FalconGT Member

Not really a surprise though :)