HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. Syslink

Syslink Member

The corsair looks ok but the Avexir might be a tight fit. The height clearance for the memory modules are pretty low.

Also, mixing ECC and non-ECC should be OK but it just means error correction will be disabled. But that said I'd wary of doing this as it may introduce stability issues.

2. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

have mine running the std 1GB ECC with a 4GB kingston non ECC and working nicely

3. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

4. smackus

smackus Member

I'm running win server 2008r2 on bare metal (1gb ecc ram).
    Transfers are between win7 clients and Thecus n7700 NAS (smb).

The HP is running like any other PC on my network.

I've also tried running WS2008r2 on ESXi and transfer performance was woeful, however that's maybe cos there's only one nic atm.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  5. OP
    OP
    oli

oli Member

6. rugger

rugger Member

Not really enough memory to run server 2008 and get good performance.

You might want to look at freenas or linux if you don't want to spend money upgrading the ram.

A basic text only linux install will use less then 100meg of memory with a few services going, leaving a lot of memory free for hd caching and allowing much better performance.

7. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

I thought I could do it with 1 gig memory with Ubuntu, but once you have all the services you want running (webmin, lamp server), with HDD stripe cache on the raid 5 array and torrents going off I'd recommend 4 gig. If all it does is act as a file store then 1 gig is enough.

8. SaTaN

SaTaN Member

more RAM is pretty much always better, for linux (unless you've got really big databases or busy websites) 1GB is fine for a home server, 2GB minimum for windows (any flavour). 4GB would be recommended for everything because its so damn cheap :)
    I'm waiting for my 2nd 1gb stick, 2 is plenty for me (for now! :D )

has anyone put a LAMP server in a vm on this? does it have enough grunt?

9. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

I'm running a LAMP server on my Ubuntu install.

10. SaTaN

SaTaN Member

in a vm though?

11. rugger

rugger Member

None of that really takes up much memory. Would be surprised if you even reached 500meg in a home environment.

Of course, once you start X-windows, and gnome and all that other junk, ALL bets are off.

12. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

So, put an LSI pcie SAS controller in and cant get into the configuration utility, any one else had this issue?

I hit control+C and it comes up something about invoking LSI config then flashes something up that quick I can't read it and continues to boot...

13. Mudhoney

Mudhoney Member

can you get into it with control key once the terminal is up?

14. MrSmoke

MrSmoke Member

My server (not the HP Micro but just a normal desktop server) running ubuntu 10.10 with:
    -sabnzbd
    -sickbeard
    -couchpotato
    -lamp
    -webmin
    -ps3mediaserver
    -3 raid5 arrays
    -1 virtualbox vm
    -gnome
    -smb
    and a whole lot of other crap (240 processes total) uses 1gb of ram out of the 2gb i have. Most of the ram is ps3mediaserver, sabnzbd+couch+sickbeard and the virtualbox vm. I think 1gb will be fine especially if you remove gnome

15. antenna

antenna Member

I'm running Ubuntu Server 11.04 off an 8GB usb stick with the standard 1GB RAM. I'll just be using it for file serving and to run irssi/rtorrent in screen so nothing major at all. I am trying to get hold of another 1GB RAM though, just in case and since I did install x86_64 so a bit more probably wouldn't hurt.

I haven't ran an OS from usb stick before (other than Live USBs occasionally) so I'm unsure if this is going to work out long term and how long the stick is going to last (have heard conflicting things) - though I did go with ext2, no swap, and move /tmp, /var/lock & /var/run to tmpfs. I currently haven't changed or moved /var/log/ but this might be something I'll have to look at. Aside from installing and updates taking ages I can't see any real problems with running off usb but am still weighing up whether I should just put the 250GB in the ODD bay and run the OS off that, I don't need 5 drives for storage after all. Will see how it goes I guess.

Nice little box anyway (but the drive cases shit me I must admit :)).

16. rugger

rugger Member

I run mine straight off the raid array .... only think the USB stick is used for is to load the linux kernel into memory.

17. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

better open some more slots up in the club, if the other thread is anything to go by.

18. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

19. 35k

35k Member

Yep, have definitely tried XBMC. Testing XBMC+VDPAU was my goal.

Tried out Samsung.Demo_Oceanic.Life.x264.1080p.40Mbps.mkv and it plays with 0 drops. Both CPUs reading about 20% utilisation during playback. This clip has a 40Mbit average encode and sections of it spike upto ~70Mbit. Audio from the GT210 HDMI under XBMC also works (note: I'll repeat again, I do not have a dedicated soundcard installed, the GT210 can do audio processing and audio output via HDMI).

When I go to install some HDDs I might pull out the card for pictures of my hammer failz.

I've also been thinking about putting a fanless PSU into the optibay (might be a dremmel job) instead of extra drives...

20. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

What kind of PSU would you be looking at for that?