HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. Stanza

Stanza Member

OK confirmed working SAS controllers.... tho not thoroughly tested. And by not thoroughly tested I mean. I have not tested if you boot from these, tried different firmware’s, No Raid tested etc… Just plonked in to see if they are recognised and drives recognised. Then files copied to and from them is as far as I tested. (As this Microserver is currently in use.. so time was limited)

I have also not tested the system with a full compliment of HDD's either (4 x 3.5's and 4 x 2.5's.. plus one 2.5 or 3.5 under the Supermicro CSE-M14T. I will leave that for someone else to confirm.

Anyways I will do this in two parts… SC44Ge and then BR10i

on with the show...

Part 1

The HP SC44Ge (8 port SAS controller)
    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/adapters/sc44ge/index.html

HP Quickspecs are here
    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12617_div/12617_div.html

Card physically fits and works fine. I had it connected to the Supermicro CSE-M14T Drive cage.

Pls note the following

Mine came with both a full height and a half height PCI bracket… although IBM BR10i half height brackets also fit. You will either need the half height bracket.... or take the risk and leave it just sit in the PCI-E slot.

SC44Ge has the wrong SAS connector to connect up to the standard drive cage. SFF-8484... Drive cage uses a minisas SFF-8087

But is perfect for connecting to the Supermicro CSE-M14T tho as it also uses SFF-8484 connector. With a SFF-8484 to SFF-8484 cable

Cabling is TIGHT as there is not much room above the card and below the PSU, either get a very flexible SFF-8484 to SFF-8484 cable that you can bend to fit at the SAS card end. Or buy a cable with one end that has a 90degree offset (you will really need a cable that points 90 degrees to front or possibly the rear of Microserver not one that points up or 90 degrees left / right) to allow easier fitment.

Something similar to HP part number 408796-001 for example should work nicely. (depending on the height of the connector)
    [​IMG]
    Click to view full size!

Failing that you might have to open up the rounded cut out under the PSU where the power cable tucks into. To allow better access to the connector on the SAS card. Tho you will still need to bend the cable to fit.

Bonus of this card is you get an extra 4 SAS ports on the rear for future expansion if needed.

Downside is it only provides Raid Level 0, 1 (with HP bios) and Raid Levels 0, 1, 1E when flashed with LSI firmware. No Raid 5 or 6 for those that require it.

==

Part 2 will be the BR10i.... to be continued in another post
    Here
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=13202356&postcount=369

Photo's

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  2. OP
    OP
    oli

oli Member

Have put this in FP.

Nice work!

3. ktmrida

ktmrida Member

So what is my cheapest option to get a hardware Raid 5 and being able to plug the standard drive cage cable in ??

I dont care about boot as my system will boot from the ODD port

4. neverhadachoice

neverhadachoice Member

why bother with a vm? do you really need zfs? if what you want is drive redundancy, use flexraid and be done with it.

put a GF210 in, run win7, put your client over the top and be done with it.

i feel like a lot of people here are really over-complicating this?

5. silenthunter

silenthunter Member

To those running WHS2011, is there anyway to use a partition of a drive for server/client backups? I don't want to sacrifice an entire 2TB disk when I only need 300gb~ for backup.

6. Stanza

Stanza Member

Cheapest is the HP P212... tho I can't confirm if the original cable with reach the SAS port. which is near the PCI bracket.

7. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Hey guys,
    I have some of these on they way, and plan on fan modding one for home.

edit: never mind the question, going to be going 4gb non-ecc and WHS or W7. :D

8. ktmrida

ktmrida Member

9. Stanza

Stanza Member

Part 2

IBM BR10i (8 Port SAS controller)

Card physically fits and works fine. I had it connected to the Supermicro CSE-M14T Drive cage. Using the supplied Supermicro SFF-8087 to SFF-8484 cable

I used the latest IBM Raid firmware on this card not the IT mode firmware for testing
    As with the HP SC44Ge card, testing was limited.

Pls note the following

Mine didn’t come with either a full height or half height PCI bracket… although HP SC44Ge brackets are a direct swap so I used this one I had. If you are after Half Height brackets, contact GoofyHSK in this thread
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=947649

BR10i has 2 of the correct SAS connector’s (minisas) to connect up to with either the standard drive cage and or the Supermicro CSE-M14T both together using the supplied Supermicro cable.. and the original HP Backplane cable already in the microserver.

This leaves multiple options to you to connect 14 drives in the Microserver
    4 drives on the original Motherboard Minisas (Drive cage)
    4 drives on port 1 of the BR10i (CSE-M14T for example)
    4 more drives on port 2 of the BR10i (Minisas to SAS/SATA breakout cable internally) or 4 drives externally by using say one of these.
    [​IMG]
    Click to view full size!

1 drive on the Motherboard SATA
    1 drive on the ESATA at the rear.
    Above assumes you can get to the SAS ports...

BR10i is physically the same size / as the HP SC44Ge card, tho the card seems slightly shorter in length. Which has the downside of placing the 2 x SAS ports in and under the PSU further.:thumbdn:

You are going to have cabling issues with this card unless you can source (my google foo is weak today and I had no luck) some 90degree offset cables like the SC44Ge card.. that is either pointing to the rear or to the front of the Microserver. (Best might be one of each direction to allow proper cable insertion without stressing the minisas port)

You can just use Port 1 of this card….but only just ….with the Supermicro provided SFF-8087 to SFF-8484 cable, if you sneak it under the CDrom bay, and thru the multiple molex power connectors. But it is a strain on the cable

Good luck getting to the Port 2 tho without a special cable.
    Failing that you might have to open up the rounded cut out under the PSU where the power cable tucks into. To allow better access to the connectors on the SAS card. Tho you will still need to bend the cables to fit.

Longer offset cables will help immensely.

Connection of the original drive cage will work also as they are both Minisas. Which would provide you with an extra Raid level and probably better performance than the AMD software Raid off the motherboard. Might be good for ESXi users.

Downside is it only provides Raid Level 0, 1 and or 1E. No Raid 5 or 6 for those that require it.

Maybe a different variation of the LSI 1068e card with ports on the rear of the card will be a better option for the Microserver. Something like the LSI SAS3081E or SASUC8I would be better suited to this Server.
    http://www.servethehome.com/intel-sasuc8i-lsi-lsi-sas3081er-lsi-1068e-based-raid-controller-review/

Photo's... notice the bend on the Minisas cable (light green) connected to the BR10i

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edit Upate

Looks like cuahtemoc might have a source for the 90 degree Minisas cable end that would work for Port 2 of the BR10i

http://shop.sgwelectronics.com
    [​IMG]

I believe he is communication with them if they also have to opposite direction end to suit Port 1. :thumbup:

Might help some people ;)

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  10. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Can people please indicate in the Google Speadsheet whether they have a noisy PSU or not? :thumbup: :confused:

Thanks! :)

11. ktmrida

ktmrida Member

12. ocskat

ocskat Member

Hyram, your mod looks impressive. Would you be willing to share a few photos?

Also, you mentioned the AHCI drivers do not work. Could you elaborate on what was wrong?

13. Statts

Statts RIP

So the CSE-M14T comes with BOTH an SFF-8484 -> SFF-8484 AND an SFF-8087 -> SFF-8484?

14. doodz

doodz Member

15. Hyram

Hyram Member

Good thinking, 99! I'll scrounge a camera and post later.

They just don't work, period. My guess is there is something not quite right in the INF -- if one yanks the right driver pack from /Packages/SBSrv to make an F6 disk, one can load the driver during the XP installation but shortly after it aborts with "The file amd_ahci.sys cannot be found" but it's right there. Same story trying to choose the driver via Device Manager -> Update Driver, all I get is the 'nothing matches your hardware' error no matter which driver I try.

No great loss. Hell, XP was just an experiment to give me a working OS for my testing & modding until the 4GB sticks arrive :)

Oh, another thing. The N36L as-is can make a decent general-purpose PC that can take Win7 (with Aero) and even handle non-state-of-the-art gaming, the only thing lacking is sound. Sure, you could pop a Creative in, or even buy one of their X-Fi USB sound 'cards' but if you just want the equivalent of basic AC97 sound I/O, then chase up one of those cheap C-Media CM108-based sound dongles. Deal Extreme sells them for $9, and you can drop it into the internal USB socket. It's no big drama to get a mini headphone extension cable (short ones from two-dorra-shop are fab) and thread it through the chassis to pop out somewhere accessible (say, in that gap over the PCIe shields).

16. Stanza

Stanza Member

No just the SFF-8087 to SFF-8484 I believe.

well mine did anyways:)

17. wasas

wasas Member

Whats the go about using the SD to run a OS off?
    Is a USB stick faster? I was hoping to run a fully featured Ubuntu with extras off it....

Other option is the 16GB PCI-E SSD from my netbook, if only I can find a SATA or USB -> PCI-E SSD Converter.

18. Mudhoney

Mudhoney Member

SD as in SD memory card? I don't think it has a slot for one, does it? I am currently putting Solaris 11 on a USB stick and I can tell you it's as slow as shit, however that may be ok depending on what you're going to do with it. I initially tried a cheapo 8G stick but it left me with very little room, so I've gone out today and bought a 16GB supposedly high-performance stick ($33 from MSY), will see how that goes.

19. taj

taj Member

Does this thing use standard mounting screws so I might replace the existing motherboard with a MiniITX i3 2100 or similar. If not how hard would it be to mod?

20. GooSE

GooSE New Member

I gave it a try a while back and I say forget about Solaris on a USB flash drive altogether. It was completely unusable for me.

There's nothing standard about this PC so you'd have to do some fairly serious modding. I'd just do a complete custom build rather than muck around trying to jam stuff into the MicroServer.