HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. Blinky

Blinky Member

Hmmm, I'm fairly sure I tried the same corsair ones a good while back and they were fine - single sided ones are they?

Those cheapy kingston ones work, as do the 8GB (non ecc kit) cheapy G-Skills ones for $50. :)
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=186_538_913&products_id=16930

2. therazza

therazza Member

did this just yesterday- didn't need to xcopy part....

This operation assumes your machine can boot from a USB enabled device. Check your BIOS to make sure. You also MUST have a DVD copy of Vista to install the source files from the DVD to a USB flash drive:
    1. Insert your USB flash drive and enter the following commands:
    (please note this list assumes that your USB flash drive will be seen as disk 1. To confirm that it is type "list disk" after you've entered the DISKPART command) Otherwise you may wipe a different drive (such as your hard disk drive!)
    2. Type:

diskpart
    select disk 1
    clean
    create partition primary
    select partition 1
    active
    format fs=fat32
    assign
    exit
    At this point your USB drive is formatted. DO NOT format the drive from within Windows. You MUST have a DVD copy of Vista to copy the source files from.

The final preparation step is to copy the installation files to your flash drive, this can be done by running the following command:
    (Please note D: is the drive letter for the source files and E: is the drive letter for your flash drive, if they are different on your system you need to change them accordingly).
    Exit DISKPART. Type:

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\

Thats it, configure usb device as primary boot device in your bios and install.

3. bsbozzy

bsbozzy Member

4. AgB deano

AgB deano Member

I reflashed the modded bios (linked in this threads OP) and both the kingston and the corsair sticks are working fine now with the same OS install. A single pass of memtest on each lot showed no errors. I've been stuffing around trying to replicate the error, all looks good so far, no complaints!

For reference, Aida64 reports the corsair sticks are working in dual channel mode (unganged) at DDR3-800 speeds with timings of 6-6-6-15 T1 @ 1.5v. Read - 4761mb/s, Write - 3341mb/s, Copy - 5053mb/s.

5. MotorAce

MotorAce Member

thanks guys i got it, i didnt do the diskpart one but there was a gui ms tool that does the same thing. worked well but i had to disable network boot even though usb boot was higher in the boot order.

6. Osir1s

Osir1s Member

Is there any particular 2TB drive that stands out of the crowd or which ppl would recommend for their microserver or nas setup? The WD, Seagate and Samsung all look pretty homogenous and on some sites are the same prices

7. Sinical

Sinical Member

I reckon if you are not using the Green Drives for Raid then you should be fine with any drives fro WD, Seagate or Samsung.

It seems from what I heard from other users is that if you raid the green drives from either vendors you run into problems.

8. BluBoy

BluBoy Member

Awww... All you guys talking about receiving your $199 Microservers have made me jealous that mine hasn't arrived yet!

I have way too many Nexus HDD holders and 8Gb RAM sitting here looking for a home. (Anyone looking for the 2x3.5" in 1x5.25" HDD rack? PM me)

9. Sinical

Sinical Member

or you could just download the tool from here --> http://images2.store.microsoft.com/prod/clustera/framework/w7udt/1.0/en-us/Windows7-USB-DVD-tool.exe

and follow the steps on the website here --> http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

that's what I've done and i have a Windows 7 Install that I've been installing from a USB Stick for a while now. Works a treat too!

10. Sinical

Sinical Member

lol mine wasn't $199! Mine was $289 which including shipping from megabuy and I'm in Brisbane which is where they are as well.

The other mob in NSW has them going for $230 + shipping which they will have stock on the 4th of Oct. I will be buying from from them when the stocks come in. This one i just got 2 days ago is a work one then one from Kotec ( i think that's what they are called) is going to be one for home hehe.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  11. AgB deano

AgB deano Member

I've got 4x Samsung HD204UI's in mine. The speeds are very good and the drives run several degrees cooler than any other drive i've owned.

Personally I cannot stand western digital drives with their idle head shenanigans, I just do not trust the drives for any sort of 24/7 raid usage.

Neither do I trust Seagate, or I will not as long as I have 4 of their drives on my desk that need RMA'ing because of the firmware issues that plagued the line.

If you want an additional reason to go Samsung, if the drives do stuff up you send them to sydney versus overseas with every other brand.

12. Blinky

Blinky Member

Another biased vote for the Samsung F4 2TB greens here :thumbup: they have the lowest spinup power draw of any of the ecos.
    Not such an issue on four, but it matters when you run a norco or the like in banks of 16 and up.

13. kambo_rambo

kambo_rambo Member

Anyone getting youtube stuttering @ full screen ? im on ubuntu desktop

14. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

hey guys .. having trouble mounting some drives in ubuntu...

my current configuration is 2 sets of raid 1 drives, so physically 4 drives but logically its only 2 drives, plus an extra ssd drive for the OS.

i initially had win 7 installed so the drives are formatted in ntfs, but now have installed ubuntu. its been over 10 years since i last installed linux LOL.

i can seem to mount the drives through the UI however i cant make it automatically load by editing the fstab file. This is my current fdisk -l command but i cant seem to get it into the fstab working correctly, do I have install extra software to get it working properly?

currently im trying
    /dev/sdb /media/htpc_d_drive ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.utf8 0 0

and tried /dev/dm-3, /dev/dm-4, /dev/sdb but none seems to work.

im able to mount it manually with mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/dm-4 /media/htpc_d_drive

but i cant mount it through the fstab :(

any tips?

Thanks

15. bigpallooka

bigpallooka Member

This is the RAM I ordered from Crucial online with cost US$:
    Qty: 1 CT1508549
    Part Number: CT2KIT51272BA1339
    Price: $99.99
    Description: 8GB Kit (4GBx2), 240-pin DIMM Upgrade for a HP - Compaq Proliant MicroServer System
    Line total: $99.99

+US$25 for delivery. It came very fast and works perfectly. Don't know how the price compares but it was about A$50 cheaper than ordering the exact same RAM off ebay from a local.

16. yanman

yanman Member

$99? I ordered mine last night for $91 with same $25 shipping. Was 95 but used a 5% off coupon :p

17. MotorAce

MotorAce Member

The optical drive power cable is the old type not the newer sata type port, am I missing something or will I need an adaptor?

18. jayman450

jayman450 Member

Any recommendations for a USB 3 card for the PCIe x1 slot?

19. Uchuujin-san

Uchuujin-san Member

Other than the MB power cable, they're all molex connectors not SATA, you'll need a converter or to MacGyver on a spare sata connector to the molex cable.

20. MotorAce

MotorAce Member

thx

i'm a bit of a raid noob, i cant see any raid config software on bootup. I want to do hardware raid 1, how do i set it up?