HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. sschen

sschen Member

I noticed there are now 4TB drives available. Has anyone here tried hooking up a 4TB drive to the microserver with success? If so, what make and model of hard drive(s)?

2. evlcookie

evlcookie Member

Not that i know of. I'm trying to do my own personal testing with whs2011 and unraid, since i keep hearing about that one specifically.

What other solutions were you looking at? I might check those out as well.

3. Stanza

Stanza Member

Spreadsheet linked off the first page

4. Gierke

Gierke Member

Will something like the HP P212 work in the wierd first expansion slot? Ideally we need a nic and raid card.

5. MrvNDMrtN

MrvNDMrtN Member

Anyone running 6 x 2Tb drives N36L ZFS volumes?

Regarding CIFS/SMB performance i am wondering if 60MB/s write and 80MB/s read is normal for this box.

I am using Freenas 8.0.2 with 8Gb DDR3 ram.

Previously i used an earlier version of Freenas8 and performance was better?

edit: Or maybe i just use NFS? All my machines are Windblows7 boxes so i'll just bust out the client.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  6. trentski

trentski Member

I've read a fair few pages and done some googling but I just want to be sure before I splash out and buy one of these.

I'm currently using an old laptop with a USB drive and its painful. Could I get the N40 and run windows 7 with ps3 media server, itunes, sabnzbd, couch potato and sickbeard?

I have no linux experience so think windows7 will be the easiest as I could replicate what I'm currently doing. Then I could use a couple of drives for important stuff like photos and raid them? and then have media on another disc.

Would that work?

7. mitsimonsta

mitsimonsta Member

No. with 3TB drives the price that they are now, nobody can afford 4TB drives.

Also, provide link to said drives.

8. TripleJ85

TripleJ85 Member

They can't be too far off - I ordered some 3TB Seagate Expansions from Amazon and they have the 3x 1TB platter model ST3000DM001.

I haven't actually seen any 4TB drives though (except for externals with 2x2TB in RAID-0.

9. evlcookie

evlcookie Member

I don't mind unraid on this little thing but i do notice a lot of you are just running linux + zfs raidz, I think that sort of setup scares me even more than unraid and that has some command line stuff.

Copying to the machine sure is slow without a cache drive on unraid, at least twice as slow compared to WHS2011.

I also seem to still get random stuttering on movie play back when it's two at a time on the tv in the lounge. I don't think it's hard drive usage or even bandwidth usage since there's very little. More testing is required i think.

10. sschen

sschen Member

11. samarium

samarium Member

12. Blinky

Blinky Member

13. samarium

samarium Member

14. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Finally got my N40L from megabuy.

Still not sure what OS to use on it... thinking either 2008R2 or WHS2011, hrm. Thoughts? Something that could be installed on 2gb memory stick lol?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  15. bsbozzy

bsbozzy Member

2GB only, Linux.

16. trentski

trentski Member

Well after a lot more reading I have answered my own question.

WHS2011 will run iTunes, sickbeard, couch potato and sabnzbd and has a built in DLNA server so hopefully that will talk to my Samsung TV.

17. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Nevermind. Decided to install an optical drive for installation lol.

Probs just gonna install server 2008r2 for the ease of having everything work.

18. sammich

sammich Member

Not sure if the Seagate does the same thing as WD does with it's MyBooks, that is the drives either have a proprietary connector or some parts are soldered together so you can't use the drive standalone.

In any case, since 3TB drives are full addressable in this box now, does it stand to reason that any drive with a capacity > 2.18TB would work? Ie, the Seagate 4TB or anything else?

19. coopers1862

coopers1862 Member

20. Willis-

Willis- Member

That deal doesn't have anything to do with the N40L?