1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

perhaps not a datacentre style mission critical. however small business critical. this is perfect.

2. rdamage

rdamage Member

I wouldn't, even in a small SOHO I'd spend a bit more and get something with some better redundancy and performance built into the hardware.

ECC is great to have, but there are so many weak links with the N36 hardware it's like why bother with the substantial cost.

3. samarium

samarium Member

If I'm going to use something like ZFS to protect my data against bit rot of various kinds then I'm going to use ECC, otherwise not.

Increment is $25 for 2x2G, or $50 for 2x4G. Not my definition of substantial against approx $300+4x$150 for system & disks and maybe extra for VGA.

4. rdamage

rdamage Member

I take your point on the ram cost, thought at least a minimum cost would be $150 for 8gb of ECC ram, must be getting cheaper, again though, I wouldn't use this microserver for critical tasks, I just wouldn't keep throwing money at it, I'd start with something better for critical purposes.

5. noober69

noober69 Member

I have the same setup except my boot drive is the original 250gb drive.
    I use win 7 and media center, but for playing movies I use a xbmc plug in. XBMC plays my movies (a mix but including full bluray rips MKV) better than MC. You can install a plug in for MC that puts xbmc as a menu item in MC, so you launch MC, launch xbmc, start your movie. I do it this way as I have a usb tv tuner that can run in MC as well, and a bluray drive, so it is a full service htpc.
    The little box is a bit cpu limited, but xbmc plays everything with about 30% cpu useage, and it all takes about 2gb of ram to run. I have never seen it over 3gb ram when multitasking so 4gb should be fine. If you do not have the gpu helping with the vid files it goes to 100% cpu and it will not be smooth.
    My wife can easily handle this setup so it is pretty straightforward.
    As for stand alone players I tried VLC, which was an old favourite, then KMplayer, but nothing has been as good as Daum Potplayer for slow cpu's.

6. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

It's a toy that serves a purpose and for 90% of people, it's a cheap NAS/HTPC. It's also good as once set up for SOHO's where you can add a bit of extra redundant storage. At $200 it's not going to compete with a $80k SAN setup, but if you're looking at it with this in mind, then you're looking at the wrong product.

7. rdamage

rdamage Member

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have to spend $80k to get some proper redundancy for a SOHO, but don't get me wrong I love the little HP, for the price it's an excellent option for a lot of people.

8. GreenBeret

GreenBeret Member

Well how important do you think people's personal storage is to them?

Multimedia files that take lots of time to rip / accumulate, personal documents, photos of trips around the world, etc. Not mission critical but the amount of time, money and emotional investment in them is huge.

They'd be a damn fool not to spend $40 on a 2GB ECC stick to protect against silent data corruption. If you google this for home NAS users, you'll find many people who have learned it the hard way. When your data storage is in the TBs, this is a very real possibility.

Nobody needs 8GB RAM for a home NAS. My file server at work used to have 8GB (ECC, of course!) for nearly 400 users and it was barely taxed. Better spend that money on more ECC RAM if you need more memory than the default 1 or 2GB.

9. trentski

trentski Member

So if you had two drives that mirrored each other would you still need ECC ram?

10. rdamage

rdamage Member

I do run a few VM's so the 8gb is utilised on my microserver, anyway my argument was based on the fact I thought ECC was a lot more expensive than it is now, so sure, for some people it is worth the additional cost even on this microserver.

11. GreenBeret

GreenBeret Member

RAID1 can't protect against silent data corruption. It will just mirror the corruption from one drive to another. Look it up.

12. mitsimonsta

mitsimonsta Member

When you use these for a VMware lab, you want all the RAM you can get. ECC is a bonus.

Note it only supports UDIMMs, Not Registered ECC. 2x4GB sticks of Kingston cost me ~$105.

13. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

Yes.

In a software raid, the memory (RAM) is used as the write/read cache and a faulty ram module means your raid array will be bit-rotting away as time goes by. Because the HDD and raid controllers are still fine, you wont be notified by traditional raid array warnings as it still thinks it's ok.

14. yanman

yanman Member

I'm not so sure this is correct. I was under the impression the reason ECC is important is that when parity calculations are done (RAID5, 6 etc) that the calculation needs to be correct otherwise it can store the wrong parity information (from the calculation) whereas RAID1 would be just mirrored data. No calculations would occur, it'd just be straight copy and easy to tell whether one set of data did not match the other (during regular syncs?)

15. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

When data goes from the network card to the HDD. What do you think it goes through?

16. PodgeSSS

PodgeSSS Member

So how come you have Raid 5 and non-ECC memory in your MicroServer ?

17. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

Which one? One has ECC and the other has non-ecc (also raid but as a dev box)

18. evlcookie

evlcookie Member

Is it still impossible to add more storage to a zpool without destroying everything first? I'm sure there's 20 things wrong in that sentence since I have no idea what i'm talking about.

I currently have openindiana and napp-it running on the N40L with some old hdds for testing. Currently only getting 15mb/sec transfer across the network which doesn't surprise me. I have read that you really need 8GB of ram to get this baby going properly.

So far I think unraid has been the easiest and quickest solution so far, Shame v5 is still in beta.

19. PodgeSSS

PodgeSSS Member

The first post spreadsheet has them both down as non-ECC that was all ..

20. bigpallooka

bigpallooka Member

Which OS on my Server and other questions?

I had bought WHS2011 and installed on my server. I had planned to use it gust as a media server to HTPC and other devices but I am so lame I couldn't figure it all out and even set up my 12 tb of drives using software raid 0. I decided just to go back to win 7 as I wanted to use the server in my room (air con in NQ) and install Media Centre Master, Jdownloader and utorrent on it. I found myself spending so much time on it that I never go out to the laptop at my desk. Unfortunately, the server isn't really built to do all this and I get a lot of hangs when trying to do too much. On top of all this I realised my Win 7 is 32 bit and so I don't get the full advantage of the 8gb ram I installed. I have a couple of questions that may help me decide where to go from here:
    - If I go back to WHS2011 how compatible is it to the average windows program?
    - Would WHS2011 utilise the resources (inc. 8gb ram) more fully than Win 7 64 bit?
    - Now that I have set up the 4x3tb Hitachi drives using software raid is there anyway to utilise the hardware raid without first moving 11 TB's of data?
    - Should I really just be using this machine as a server and get something else to perform all other tasks?

Regards