1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. kandiman

kandiman Member

do you need to have formatted blank hard drives first to use DriveBender? or can i use existing drives with data?

reason being i have 2 3TB hard drives full of data so i don't really want to shift that much data to the new 3TB drives that i plan to use on the MicroServer, hope that makes sense

2. Hyram

Hyram Member

Nope, you can add anything you like to DriveBender -- internal drives, externals, flash sticks, even a separate RAID or other network shares. It aggregates whatever you feed it into a single drive letter resource-point; added volumes can have their own data before-hand, and the data thereon remains accessibnle to normal file-systems that don't have DriveBender installed.

3. htpcfan

htpcfan Member

is there a freeware alternative for WHS 2011 that is similar to DriveBender? Or something free with drive pooling at least? thanks.

4. Ameel

Ameel Member

I'm running ubuntu last version LTS, with an ati 5450. For some reason, flash always stutters every few secs when non-full screen.

On full screen it lags continuously. Is there any way to fix this?

cheers

5. kandiman

kandiman Member

i read people are you using the Nexus doubleTwin, do you need to buy a 5.25" to 3.5" converter to put the 250GB hard drive in the ODD bay? if so which one should i buy?

6. garnet

garnet Member

Nexus doubleTwin is the converter

7. Hyram

Hyram Member

Nope, nothing free that's even remotely close. I looked long & hard, tested a few, and settled on DriveBender, which I consider well worth the money.

8. philby00

philby00 Member

Just pulled the trigger on a N40L.

Can you boot off the eSATA?

Plan is:

1 x OS boot HDD on eSATA
    2 x 2TB raid 1 (in bay)
    2 x 2TB raid 1 (in bay)
    1 x DVD Burner off ODD SATA

Thoughts?

9. kandiman

kandiman Member

what's the best way to transfer data from my HTPC to WHS2011 ?

10. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

copypasta :thumbup:

11. g725s

g725s New Member

My new N40L has BIOS 041 dated 7/29/2011

Am I right in assuming that this BIOS now allows you to install a 5th drive without the need for a BIOS modification.

12. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

i have a N36L and never had to update the BIOS to use a HDD on the sata port.

13. g725s

g725s New Member

So you have 5 drives in your N36L and you did not have to flash your BIOS to get full speed on all drives, especially on that 5th drive? I keep reading that you need to flash your BIOS to one of the modified ones to get full speed on that 5th drive.

Has anybody with BIOS 041 dated 7/29/11 confirmed this?

14. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

i have 7 drives in it actually (6x 3.5" drives) and the 7th is an SSD. thats whats plugged into the sata port. 4 into the RAID and the 2 using a PCI-e x1 2 port sata card.

15. martymoose

martymoose Member

So what the optimal Video card for these with hdmi
    also will it output sound via the hdmi
    because there is non onboard

16. g725s

g725s New Member

So you can't run RAID 5 with five drives unless you flash one of the modded BIOS, right?

17. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

the drives i have in raid are the ones in the 4 bays and the 2 i had in PCI-e x1 2 port sata card.

the one in the sata port on board is my SSD boot drive.

18. g725s

g725s New Member

So have you ever heard of N36L and N40L users needing to flash their BIOS to get full speed on the SATA up in the optical bay? And you are not running RAID 5 right?

19. trentski

trentski Member

Well I spent most of the weekend setting up my N40L.

I am running WHS2011, Sickbeard, CouchPotato, SABNZBD+, PS3 media Server and iTunes. When playing a movie on my TV its using 1.4GB of RAM (according to task manager) so I'll get that updated soon (with ECC RAM).

I tried to get the WHS2011 native DLNA playing nice with my TV but after wasting hours on it I gave up and installed PS3media server as a service and its doing what I want now.
    SABNZBD is also running as a service. CouchPotato, iTunes and Sickbeard run from the start up menu so I have to log in after a reboot. Itunes throws up an eror message as I don't have an audio card in the server but there are ways around that and you can get a programme that runs iTunes as a service for $30US http://www.bizmodeller.com/iHomeServer_for_iTunes.aspx

I'll have to look at how I can run Sickbeard and CouchPotato as services as well so I won't have to log in at all after a restart.

Once HDD prices come back down I'll put a couple of drives in for backing up photos etc and mirror them and I'll also back them up to an external HDD and store that off site.

I'll do an update in a couple of weeks to let you know how its going, thanks for all the info:thumbup:

20. EMM386

EMM386 Member

To my knowledge the ONLY way to get the internal single sata and esata ports to run at full speed (they run in a slower IDE emulation pata) mode as default is to use a modded BIOS. HP released a statement a few months back saying their BIOSes would never run full speed as it's designed for an optical disc drive

And the onboad fakeraid doesn't support Raid 5. Modded or unmodded. Only Rais 0, 1 and 10