1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. kandiman

kandiman Member

I have an N40L and flashed the modded bios no issues at all

http://www.avforums.com/forums/networking-nas/1521657-hp-n36l-microserver-updated-ahci-bios-support.html

http://www.livingonthecloud.net/2011/08/hp-microserver-sata-firmware-upgrade.html

2. Roscoe

Roscoe Member

Another tool to add is Acronis Drive Monitor which can send you alerts about the SMART status of your drives.

Depends on how often you reboot. I have them setup as a service but I'm reinstalling WHS 2011 this week and I won't be running them as a service again.

3. trentski

trentski Member

Thanks Roscoe I'll look into that, I'm hoping that using the sneakernet and USB drives, my back up strategy will see me right, but the day I forget and..........

I'll probably just go the easy option and log in and leave the Server locked and avoid the drama, if it works then leave it alone I reckon:tongue:

4. mitsimonsta

mitsimonsta Member

Anyone attempted to get OSX running on these yet? I just had someone ask if these could do OSX and I really don't know. I never went the Hackintosh route.

I would imagine a VM with an EFI boot is required.

5. gords

gords Oh deer!

On-board RAID 1 not working?!

I bought another MicroServer (N40L, BIOS version 041) the other day with a view to putting 8GB RAM and 2x 2TB HDDs in it for a small virtualisation environment, with vSphere 5 installed on a USB drive plugged in to the motherboard. All went well with that.

I've set up the RAID 1 array in line with various guides on the net, and there's been no indication of problems.

However, when vSphere boots up, if I go to 'Storage' I can see two separate disks (each with a capacity of 1.82TB), where I believe I should only see one - the RAIDed volume.

What gives? Am I doing something really wrong? I've deleted and recreated the array multiple times and it still shows me two independent disks rather than one.

I plan to check with a boot CD like GParted when I get home, just to make sure it's not a problem with vSphere. I can't imagine how it could be though.

Any assistance, pointers etc. would be greatly appreciated!

6. mitsimonsta

mitsimonsta Member

Pretty sure ESXi does not support the onboard RAID in any way, shape or form. You need an ESXi supported RAID card to see the one datastore.

HP p410i cards work awesome for these if you want to go the 4x2.5" backplane in the Optical bay, otherwise a basic p212 is a direct plug in and you can run a SAS cable to an external array also - just need to get a low profile bracket made for it.

7. Hyram

Hyram Member

Ha. Forget it. This little box is about as far away from the Apple hardware baseline as you can get and still be able to run Windows natively. The further away from that baseline you go, the harder it gets to even get it started, and the less fragile it becomes.

OSX won't even behave in a VM properly.

And to top it off, first generation (six years old) Intel Mac Minis can run faster.

8. gords

gords Oh deer!

Thanks so much - that's saved me from spending hours working on it. Completely didn't think that the onboard RAID might not be on the HCL!

9. Sinical

Sinical Member

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has updated their firmware to this one (19/10/2011)?

http://www.avforums.com/forums/netw...6l-microserver-updated-ahci-bios-support.html

I'm about to do the update from BIOS 041 dated 7/29/2011

To the latest build date 19/10/2011

19/10/2011
    Updated BIOS
    Added FAN Option (Not sure what this does exactly, but have a play)
    Simplified AHCI/IDE Setting:
    Removed - AHCI Menu for configuration/drive status
    - IDE Menu configuration/drive status

Hi Guys,

I just did the update and everything is still working fine for me.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  10. pyratepete

pyratepete Member

Snow Leopard on HP ProLiant Microserver N36L (AMD) - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=261028&st=0

11. Sinical

Sinical Member

Hey Guys,

Looks like Harris are selling the N40L $243 while the N36L is selling for $300...

lol wierd..

Now i want the N40L hehe

12. Hyram

Hyram Member

Tried it, improved on it, still a dog's breakfast. Software Update bricks it. iMovie kernel panics it. Aperture locks the box hard, even after figuring out and manually hexing in the new identity keys. What does run, a PowerPC G4 does it faster. I shit thee not.

(I didn't say it was impossible, I just said it was a pillock's idea of a bad joke :p)

13. AbRASiON

AbRASiON Member

I see the new NL40 is out - I saw it at HT for only 243 I think but expensive shipping, anyone know a cheaper place to grab one? I already have the 36 :) I like it.
    I'd maybe consider buying someones NL36 cheap too I spose considering a lot of people are upgrading, anyone know where I should look besides ebay? Probably prefer the 40 though :)

Anyone?

14. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

Anyone have a suggestion for how to remote into my Microserver running Ubuntu 11.04 Desktop?

I currently connect to it via VNC, and it's slow, like 1fps slow. I was running with the stock 1GB ram, so I upgraded that last night to 8GB non-ecc, and that did nothing. Is the onboard video not up to the task or is it VNC in Ubuntu? I'm pretty sure it's just the built in one, not a specific installed application. I figure I could start looking for something else, like teamviewer, log me in, a RDP client perhaps?

15. Chrysilis

Chrysilis Member

I've done RDP and Teamviewer into WHS 2011 with zero issues... Not that it helps with Ubuntu but still :Paranoid:

16. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Try x11vnc as the server and use xvnc4viewer to view it or the inbuilt remote desktop viewer (vinagre). You could also look at NX nomachine - that is quite fast and can run over SSH (can't use key based SSH though which sucks).

17. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Looks like you don't have enough bandwidth to transmit a bitmap of the screen. The VNC server included with Ubuntu works pretty well for me over a LAN.

If VNC is not cutting the cheese for you, then TeamViewer can work as can tools such as NX, but also consider "do I really need to control the entire desktop?". If you only need to manipulate one or two apps rather than do a complete desktop session, then consider running a remote X session to render that one app on your remote terminal only, or manipulate it with an SSH command or two - much less bandwidth use, especially if you're only restarting a program/daemon.

18. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

The only reason I run the desktop edition is so that XBMC can run and update my libraries on demand, for whatever reason it works best when its running in a window and in focus.

But if I remote in to mess with some directories or check the status of the server, it's a freaking 1fps slideshow.

Menthu_Rae, Ubuntu desktop is the server on the microserver, Windows 7 is the client for VNC, so I dont think nx based options would be any help.

19. samarium

samarium Member

20. adante

adante Member

what's your connection? I use vnc to remote over lan and occassionally over an adsl connection without major dramas. This on a fairly 11.04 install with the stock 1gb.

Is it possible unity's crazy compositing interface is enabled? (the first time I vnc'd in it threw an error and switched it off for me, but everybody seems to have a different experience)