HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. gr8bob

gr8bob Member

Do you mean straight SATA plugs doesn't fit well on the internal side?

2. ktmrida

ktmrida Member

I think he does, as i ran into same issue, using a right angled one on the mobo side is advised

3. gr8bob

gr8bob Member

After reading that again, I think he meant that straight eSATA plugs can be a bit long but angled eSATA plugs will need to be bent 180┬║ to be routed back into the case.

Will try to source some components before the server arrives. Thanks for the heads up.

4. Stanza

Stanza Member

gr8bob

I think you might be getting some miss information here.

I believe the others are talking about the internal SATA port that needs/benifits from the right angle connection.

You are asking about the E-Sata port on the rear yes? and looping that back inside the case thru the PCI bracket slot to a HDD in the ODD bay.

Just a straight E-Sata to SATA cable will do you fine, and 50cm should be enough length.

If however you are meaning the (On Motherboard) internal SATA port... then yes the others are correct in what they are saying.

5. gr8bob

gr8bob Member

Might have been Mondaytitis. :D

... and yes, that's what I understand, straight eSATA to SATA for routing the eSATA port to an internal bay; angled SATA connector for internal SATA port. :)

6. Zyklone

Zyklone Member

Does anyone know if the e-sata controller on the mobo supports port multiplying?

Would be super cheap to just buy one of those 5 bay expanders than connect via e-sata and connect that to this box for added storage goodness!

7. Stanza

Stanza Member

From what I have read on HARDOCP... no it doesn't

8. yanman

yanman Member

Subbed! This looks like a very interesting box. Is anyone using one of these in place of a QNAP? I was tempted to go with a QNAP but this would offer a lot more flexibility and transfer speed.

The other option is to put a controller card in and run ESXi and ZFS

9. silenthunter

silenthunter Member

You don't need a right angled SATA cable for the internal SATA port. I'm using a straight one and its fine. just need to put a few right angle bends in it to get it around the drive bays but its not an issue.

10. Blinky

Blinky Member

Why do you think that?

11. yanman

yanman Member

$ for $ this would compare to the TS-419 which reports about 1/2 the transfer rates people have reported with this Microserver.

Flexibility is naturally going to be less since the QNAP only has a set amount of features and a few extra plugins from what I understand.

12. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

13. Blinky

Blinky Member

Hmmm, I'm only getting 45MB/s on write over samba ATM, but then again it's in to the swap for 97MB as well. It is running with only 512MB of RAM I s'pose.

14. MetalPhreak

MetalPhreak Member

:thumbup:

Using one with a clip on it is probably a good idea to make sure it stays plugged in though, especially when you have to pull the board tray in/out. There's a channel on the top left above the power supply that you can route the cable through.

15. rugger

rugger Member

I'll also be happy to run some benchmarks on my one too.

Difference is that I am running stock 1gig ram, linux with raid 5 and 4x old 4 platter 1tb WD greens.

I'm quite happy to be thrashed in these tests, but I'm curious to how much difference it would make.

16. OP
    OP
    oli

oli Member

Cheers. I've added them to the first post. If anyone else posts some comprehensive benchmarks I'll add them to OP as well.

17. Statts

Statts RIP

(Agg edit: malware warning on your images)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2013
  18. jonamafun

jonamafun Member

So for anyone who's tried to enable the internal RAID controller AFTER installing Windows Home Server 2011 (or Vista/7 for that matter), you've probably found that your OS will not boot.

The proper way to make Windows work is to do a fresh install with RAID enabled in the BIOS. But that means potentially losing your existing Windows install (or definitely in the case of WHS11).

So I scoured the net and finally found this guide to hack the registry and allow the installation of the AMD RAID drivers: http://www.wikihow.com/Enable-Raid-...ws-for-Amd-Sb850-(Possibly-Sb8Xx)-Controllers

However to save fellow members the hassle of following the guide, I have saved values and files necessary for the HP Microserver.

Note: I was configuring a Windows Home Server 2011 x64 install. I'm not sure if this will work for 32-bit versions.

1. In the BIOS, set the SATA mode to either IDE or AHCI (whatever you had originally).

2. Boot into Windows.

3. Download the AMD RAID driver:
    http://wwwd.amd.com/AMD/SReleaseF.nsf/HPSW?openform
    http://wwwd.amd.com/AMD/SReleaseF.n...erv3.2.1540.75~SB710,SB8xx~Windows®Server2008

4. Open the downloaded file, and extract the file ahcix64s.sys, and copy it to c:\windows\system32\drivers

5. Backup your registry.

6. Download this registry file: http://uploading.com/files/11dd7c99/raid.reg/

7. Apply the registry file.

8. Reboot, and in the BIOS set your SATA mode to RAID.

9. Configure your RAID arrays by pressing CTRL-F if necessary when booting.

10. Boot into Windows and voila! 5 hours of your life otherwise saved!

If anyone's interested, the values that I obtained by following the guide for the HP RAID Controller were:
    VendorID: 1002
    DeviceID: 4392
    SubsystemID: 103c:1609

19. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Got my replacement PSU - it's a little bit quieter than the previous one but still has a bit of a hum that I don't like. I'll be looking at a fan swap a bit later - just need the right parts... any help identifying the connector is appreciated! :thumbup: :p

20. 5p1k3y

5p1k3y Member

interested in this will be following it closely :)