HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. raz0r

raz0r Member

2. pcd

pcd Member

Re Graphics card - you only get a text based screen, graphic come from the 'console' connection, you don't pass anything through.

As for the VM - depends, did you 'force' a MAC address and are they using the same CPU. If you are using windows then you may need to reactivate. So long as you are happy with that then the converter is the way to go.

pcd

3. nowlan

nowlan Member

Interesting that I read this the other day.

We are constantly looking at new hard drives, evaluating them for reliability and power consumption. The Hitachi 3TB drive (Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000 HDS5C3030ALA630) is our current favorite for both its low power demand and astounding reliability. The Western Digital and Seagate equivalents we tested saw much higher rates of popping out of RAID arrays and drive failure. Even the Western Digital Enterprise Hard Drives had the same high failure rates. The Hitachi drives, on the other hand, perform wonderfully.-Backblaze

4. EMM386

EMM386 Member

Okay I have a mission to finish this post by 14:00 when my work filtering block OCAU. Thats 7 mins.

It's actually nearing the point when I'll get to purchase the disks for my HP MS. i.e. after the wedding when we'll apparently have spare cash.

Originally I had planned to use 4 x 2tb Samsung F4s as thats what most folk in the UK seem to recommend.

Then I read up on Solaris and ZFS and decided that was the avenue I wanted to take. I stumbled upon a rather lengthy post that stated that there were sweet spots of number of drives for RaidZ and RaidZ2. 5 for RaidZ and 6 for RaidZ2. I think this post was by sub.mesa, davros, flain, statts or stanza but blow me if i can find it now. Looked for past 48 hours but with no joy. I'm sure I have it saved as a favourite on an external hard disk somewhere.

After some further reading on here it seemed Hitachi 5K3000 were actually the way to go due to them being low power/heat 512b sector simple drives.

So I switched my plans to 5x 3tb Hitachi 5K3000s.

However looking the past few days seems to indicate that the 5 RaidZ sweet spot is only for 4K sector drives. Not 512b like the Hitachi. Where the sweet spot is different and actually 4 or 6. Although I'll likely be using the AShift = 12 fix so I can replace the drives with 4K sector ones at any future time.

Can anyone confirm this?

Also looking at ZILs and L2ARCS. I was wanting to use a Crucial M4 SSD. I know it's not the fastest but it seems very relaible.

I know that I can house the ZIL and L2ARC on the same SSD. But is this a good idea and what kinda size (64Gb, 128Gb, 256Gb) should I be looking at for a server that predominantly streams media, movies, music, pictures etc with between 12-20tb? (4 x 3tb min with 5 x 4tb max)

Should I get 2 SSDs and mirror them (mirroring seems important for ZIL but not L2ARC) or have 1 ZIL and 1 L2ARC.

Also sub.mesa says SSDs are bad unless they have a super capacitor. Anyone know if the Crucial's M4s do. I've tried googling the chipset but have hit a wall so far.

I take it no one ever got anywhere one way or the other with the 2 x 8Gb RAM modules in the MS either as ZFS loves RAm for the ARC.

Thanks for any help or suggestions/conmments!!!!

5. TheFlock

TheFlock Member

6. radaxian

radaxian Member

Yes I bought this and found I had to cut off a chunk of the heatsink fins to fit it in. Can be done but I think there are others which require no mods. Always some risk pulling on/off heatsink, applying new thermal paste etc.

7. tgf

tgf Member

How come the N40L doesn't come with USB3 ports? Is there any way this can be changed?

8. Altec Inc

Altec Inc Member

9. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

I'm still doing a lot of priliminary reading on this, but could you expand the answer a bit more please? I want to run a few apps that'll need 3D graphics (one being XBMC, the other a game) so I'm thinking I may indeed need pass through graphics to a graphics card?

10. pineappl2

pineappl2 Member

EMM386

I think you will find it hard to find either 2tb Samsung F4s or 3tb Hitachi 5K3000s for a reasonable price. My local MSY is moving to only stock Seagate & WD :(

11. EMM386

EMM386 Member

I actually found 3tb 5K3000 for £150 gbp the other day. Didn't think that was too bad considering the cheapest 2tb I could find was £88 gbp. The Hitachi External XL3000 seem cheapish as well and apparently have 7k3000 inside, although I'd prefer the slower 54/5900 rpm drives for lower heat.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  12. EMM386

EMM386 Member

13. helloyesplease

helloyesplease Member

If I add in a video card for HTPC- is it still a low powered/energy efficient 24x7 machine?

I intend to use it as a NAS and HTPC, but wonder if adding a videocard makes it too power hungry to be on 24x7? I know the server by itself is amazingly low energy usage.

14. pcd

pcd Member

ESXi gives you a text based screen. The screen displays the VMWare Build, Machine Type, Processor Type, Installed Memory, the IP address and machine name that you connect to when you need to manage the ESXi host. You have 2 options F2 Customise System/View Logs, and F12 Shut Down/Restart.

To get anything 'graphical' you need to either RDP, VNC or connect via the VMWare Console. These boxes have no capability to perform VT-D (an Intel technology, I'm not sure of the AMD term) or any kind of 'pass through' capability.

What I'n unsure about is if having a 'sexy' graphics card makes any difference to the guest OS, but my $$$ are on it making no difference at all.

pcd

15. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

Ahh, no virtualisation in the cpu/chipset. I totally forgot that.

In that case, I'll give it a go anyway. It currently runs in Ubuntu at like 3FPS, which is more than enough, since I just need it to update my library in real time, not actually play content.

16. Blinky

Blinky Member

17. tonner78

tonner78 Member

Hey guys

Got a bit of an issue trying to install Ubuntu to my Microserver. I have the installer on a bootable USB, and am trying to install it to the SSD that I have connected to the ODD sata port.

When I do the install, it sees the USB key as sda, and the SSD as sdb. Fine methinks, I install to sdb. It completes ok and reboots, but then I just get a blank screen with a flashing cursor. I am wondering if it gets confused somehow and writes the MBR to the USB key rather than the SSD? Not sure - a little confused!!

Any thoughts appreciated!

Cheers

18. pcd

pcd Member

Go grab a coffe or two and just leave it. After the install I leave the original USB installed and wait (patiently). Eventually the OS comes up, I then shutdown, remove the USB and restart.

However first make sure that the USB and the SSD are setup as drives in the BIOS. I disable all drives except the ones I want to boot from in the bios, then set them in the correct boot order (USB first SSD second).

pcd

19. passivekid

passivekid Member

Has anyone had luck with a SATA Blu-ray burner running under ACHI instead of IDE?

20. noober69

noober69 Member

My n36l is set up as ahci, and I have a Samsung bluray player on the 5th sata port. No problems to speak of, although there can be software issues. The samsung drive was retail and came with bluray playing software.