HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. Mudhoney

Mudhoney Member

I've got one, plan to make it my home NAS.

Not yet built, but plan is:

Solaris 11 Express with napp-it.
    5 x 2TB Hitachi 5k3000 in RAID-Z1
    (5th drive in IcyBox insert for ODD slot)
    8GB ECC unbuffered RAM
    USB stick for OS
    2 port internal SATA card (currently looking for one based on JMicron JMB362/363/366), or worst case will go Silicon Image Sil3132. I don't plan to do the hacked BIOS flash. I'll need to find a half-height bracket for this card.

I will monitor ZFS memory usage. If it gets out of hand I'll consider adding a SSD as L2ARC, but likely that won't be required.

2. ics

ics Member

Hey why not do the bios flash?

T

P.S. Mine is also on it's way, it'll be a ubuntu box

3. peterz

peterz Member

I've got one, been playing with it since Friday (thanks Kevin!).

It has 4x 250GB and 2x 1GB for the time being - I've never used zfs. Since Friday I have already install solaris 11 express, and freenas! When I'm happy / confident, I'll throw in some of those green barracudas!

Oh, loving the speeds. If windows / Mac transfers are anything to go by (hardly gospel) I'm getting 80-105mb/sec, depending on file size!

4. Mudhoney

Mudhoney Member

Risk of bricking the machine, don't like kludgy cable sticking out of chassis, want option to be able to cram in a 6th disk.

5. akashra

akashra Member

Well, after installing Openfiler, then Ubuntu Server, and now Ubuntu, I appear to have a working array. What a pain that was.

RAID build speed varied between 48MB/s and 70MB/s, and I now seem to be able to copy via FTP (read from array, transmit via localhost, write to same device) at ~108MB/s.
    Not sure if it's expected to be faster, but I'm happy enough with that.

Also, hdparm gives:
    /dev/md0:
    Timing buffered disk reads: 746 MB in 3.00 seconds = 248.49 MB/sec

6. SaTaN

SaTaN Member

wee :)

my one will be running linux of some sort (ubuntu server at the moment). Loaded up with 4*2T WD green drives and the 250GB disk in the cdrom slot for the OS drive. I'll be flashing the bios to get ull speed off the ODD sata port when i get a chance. (kludging the cable into the esata port sucks!)

If its got enough grunt it will run a LAMP vm for my very light requirements. 2GB ram is not going to be enough :p

possibly will find a digital tv tuner with good linux support to to some tv recording off it also.

7. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Disks arrived!

Now I want to go home and play!!!

I'm still not really sure on what to do RAIDZ wise.
    Initial plan is 5x 2TB in Raidz2, so 6TB usable. The issue I have is expanding (much) later on.

I think another chassis with another 5x raidz2?

OR.

4 disk raidz1 w/ hostspare.

Sheeesh.

8. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

anyone know whether these devices are 3TB drive compatible?

9. RoSWeLL

RoSWeLL Member

if I plan to use windows server should I stick to 2GB of ECC or get a cheap 4GB kit of non ecc?

10. GooSE

GooSE New Member

Compatibility with 3TB drives generally depends on your operating system and file system, not your hardware. The only time when hardware plays a part is when you want to boot from a 3TB drive and you use Windows - you'll need a UEFI motherboard, which the MicroServer does not have.

Therefore, trying to boot Windows from a 3TB drive won't work. All other scenarios should be okay.

11. michaeljf

michaeljf Member

Depends upon which version of Win Server. For 2008 onwards 4GB is the minimum I'd run and if you plan to have stuff like exchange running then 8GB is better.

And if you do go 4GB buy a single stick which gives you an upgrade path.

12. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

Hmmm ok

so figuratively speaking, then I could load up 4x3TB drives if I'm just going to display them to Solaris as normal disks..

13. silenthunter

silenthunter Member

Its 512mb http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/system-requirements.aspx

I've got it running on a system with 2GB and its not a problem. In any case I think the question referred to ECC vs Non ECC, for a home setup I don't think ECC is required.

14. SaTaN

SaTaN Member

he said the minimum *he'd* run it with. I imagine win2k8 with only 512mb would run like a dog..

15. michaeljf

michaeljf Member

Yep, the minimum I'd run. I'm running SBS 2008 with all the bells and whistles and with 4GB it runs like dog, so much better with 8GB.

Ultimately it comes down to what you want it to do but even with a bare minimum of roles I'd opt for 2GB (and extra 1GB OEM sticks for these will soon flood the market!).

16. GooSE

GooSE New Member

I'm not too familiar with Solaris, but I'd say yes. Windows (2003/Vista or higher) and Linux wouldn't have a problem with this, so you'd assume Solaris would be fine.

17. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

Can we make the first post have some more useful information on it like links to the the bios mod to make the top sata port work at full speed and the possibility of routing the esata back into the chassis for 6 hdd configuration?

18. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

can quite happily report that this little beastie has no problems saturating a 1GbE link on Solaris 11 express :)

19. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Just had confirmation that mine has been delivered at home, w00t :thumbup: :cool:

Not sure what I'll be doing with mine yet... thinking about a Ubuntu install with 8GB RAM, 40GB SSD, 4x 2TB Seagate LPs, GeForce GT520 (once I can find a Leadtek one or an EVGA one and suitable LP bracket) and not sure what else yet... maybe a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround Pro 5.1 USB and then that leaves me the x1 slot still free to fiddle with. :weirdo:

20. RoSWeLL

RoSWeLL Member

Alright so I've ordered memory and drives for mine

Mine will be configured like this.

1 x Corsair 4GB non ECC
    1 x 250GB for OS or it may be Intel 40GB SSD
    2 x 2TB Hitachi 5K3000 (mirror)
    1 x 2TB Samsung HD204UI (additional storage for non critical)
    Running either WIN2K8R2 or WHS, download / file / print server - streaming media to XBMC

I recycle files regularly, so the amount of storage on this will suit me.

I might also be on the hunt for a PCI-E TV Tuner for recording, it will be on the desk under a spare aerial wall socket so why not!!