1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. AbRASiON

AbRASiON Member

Still waiting for the NL54 :(

2. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

Wonder who'll take the dive :)

Surely someone has 16gb ram here that can be tried

3. Osiris

Osiris Member

Prob worth trying a 8GB non-ECC stick + the original stick first. Seeing as HP have a vested interest in keeping it under (they want people to upgrade to more expensive server if they want to use more ram) I doubt it'll work.

4. Dislexsick

Dislexsick Member

It took around an hour for me, mostly because I was using an NTFS disk while testing and hadn't set mount options correctly, only root could access it, and thus I spent the better part of an hour working that out.

5. WooKiE_MaN

WooKiE_MaN Member

Currently own a HP N40L, now im running 5x HDDS (1x 250 3x1TB 1x2TB)
    What would be the current power usage for 24/7 usage. Basically its torrenting and streaming media/software throughout the day.

Been told thats its around $1 a day? is that about right?:thumbup:

6. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

So I've finally setup one of the N40L's with 6x 1tb hdds.

I will buy some 2tbs later this week to install on another N40L.

FreeNAS works well, it does what it needs to do, now it's just time for me to tune it up and create datasets for different users.

I also need to upgrade my LAN ASAP... copying about 4tbs worth of data over is painful on a 100mb link

Hopefully I can get a gigabit switch soon.

Next pay I should be getting another couple for esx lab work.

Love these little units!!

7. HyDrA

HyDrA Member

Running Ubuntu server on my N40L now :) Works a treat, currently have Ubuntu installed on the standard 250GB drive.

The 4 3TB drives are WD greens, so I must first set the idle timer value to something more sane so the disks don't spin down so frequently. Time to break out a DOS USB boot disk...

EDIT: and here is why:

Code:
    ~$ sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep Load_Cycle_Count
    193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       2198
    ~$ sudo smartctl -a /dev/sdb | grep Load_Cycle_Count
    193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       2237
    ~$ sudo smartctl -a /dev/sdc | grep Load_Cycle_Count
    193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   199   199   000    Old_age   Always       -       3983
    ~$ sudo smartctl -a /dev/sdd | grep Load_Cycle_Count
    193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       2879

These drives haven't really done very much yet, and that is a huge load cycle count for the time I've run the drives.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  8. HyDrA

HyDrA Member

In case anyone wasn't sure of how to get the wdidle3 tool working, grab unetbootin, plug in your USB thumb drive and run unetbootin.

Choose "FreeDOS" from the distribution list and make sure the correct USB drive has been chosen from the menu at the bottom. Hit OK and let it download/install freedos to the USB drive.

Download the wdidle3 tool from WD and throw it in the root of the USB drive.

Boot off of the USB stick and choose LiveCD with himem and emm386 (or whatever it was). Change to C:\ (just like in MS DOS) and you'll see wdidle3.exe in there.

Run
    Code:
    c:\>wdidle3

And you'll see what the drives have set currently (usually 8 seconds!).

Run
    Code:
    c:\>wdidle3 /S300

And that will set all of the WD drives to 300 seconds (5 Minutes) idle timeout.

Reboot and enjoy!

EDIT: Interestingly, there is mention of a linux tool to handle this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.ph...e_via_changing_firware_value_.28persistent.29

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  9. quantocks

quantocks New Member

soon as I get back from Japan I'm going to purchase another two of these bad boys to shove in the linen cupboard full of drives :)

10. AbRASiON

AbRASiON Member

I thought I read that it won't do 16gb? 8gb is max?

11. HyDrA

HyDrA Member

Isn't that just the limit of what WHS can do?

I wish I had 16GB DDR3 to try out :)

12. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

The hp spec is 8gb max, however a few posts up shows that a user on the hardforum had 16gb working on whs. This would be great for zfs and esx folks

13. Blinky

Blinky Member

https://www.superbiiz.com/query.php?categry=0&s=W1333EB8GS

Couldn't get it to take PayPal in the end, so I cancelled it.

Edit: Gee the PayPal exchange rate isn't good at the moment. Exchange rate: 1 Australian Dollar = 0.993947 US Dollars
    I bought two from here for $305.65 AUD delivered:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170823254663
    There is only 3 left.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  14. calris

calris Member

Woot - My N40L turned up yesterday :D

So far I have:
    • Installed Fedora 16 on the supplied HDD
    • Removed Gnome and installed xfce (couldn't be bothered downloading the xfce CD)
    • Removed all sound, WiFi, firmware, various X11 drivers etc
    • Installed 2x 2TB HDDs
    • Configured a RAID5 array on the two drives (yes, on two drives - see below)

After the RAID array finishes building, I'll copy all my media files from my current desktop/server and move the 2TB HDD out of it and into the N40L and expand the RAID array :)

Looking good so far.

Next step will be 2x 4GB DDR3 DIMMS (would there be any reason to go for expensive versus cheap RAM?)

Then I'll look at UPS solutions so I can turn on write caching

15. Rogue_Elefant

Rogue_Elefant Member

yep, but then again filling the 3 other disk trays costs more than the whole server!

For $1400 I built a server that has 11TB of high performance protected storage that is very small, very quiet and costs bugger all to run. It ticks all the boxes for me, plus it is easy to move if needed.

The 8th 2.5 inch drive, sits on its side on the inside of the case on top of the big 120mm fan. Attached via double-sided tape :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2012
  16. Stanza

Stanza Member

Run some full memory tests when it arrives... let us know how she goes.

Crosses fingers it doesn't bomb out @ 90% or somesuch:Paranoid:

17. Blinky

Blinky Member

It mightn't get here until the 23rd.

There is only one full kit left on that ebay link.... Go on, you know you want to :tongue:

18. calris

calris Member

19. Blinky

Blinky Member

Just that it is untested waters.

The stuff you've linked to is the same speed and timings and voltage.
    I can't find it listed in non so-dimms at corsair.com (there's so-dimm there) - for that matter I can't see any decent tech docs at all, on the rams. They could possibly use different chip suppliers from time to time, so we won't know what chips are under that sticker until you buy it anyway.

It would be a suck it and see approach - no promises of it working.

Edit: I've just pull one out of the rack that I happened to know had corsair CML stuff, (cuz it the only single sided stuff I have) the chips are laser marked "corsair" - so knowing what chip they were using isn't going to happen for you either. Just buy it and try it, it's only money right? ;)

20. swaggie

swaggie New Member

On the 16gig front Before I put my hard earned down would anyone know if the ram has to be in matched pairs?

If I bought two 8gig sticks and it didnt work would I be able to use a single 8gig in slot 0 without anything in the other slot? (I have 2 microservers). A single stick comes as standard in the microserver.

Or perhaps if I bought one 8 gig and put a one, two or 4gig stick in the other side to see whether it would run as 9, 10 or 12gig all of which would disprove the 8gig maximum. Should or could this work?

There seems to be corsair, kensington or gskills ram available for $55-$65 plus $10 postage - Just trying to reduce my risk of wasting my money totally with such an experiment.
    Swaggie