HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. choppa

choppa Member

I remember buying the 3TB Seagates from Amazon last October and they only cost me $110ea delivered. Comparing that pricing to the current 3TB ($169 at MSY & CA) and 4TB's ($300) I'm appalled at the pricing.

I usually just built an entirely new storage subsystem to migrate stuff over to, but due to the costs (and because I've got ~20TB spare) I've decided to transition over an old server's drives into a new one with a single vdev.

So new build is going to be:
    - Ubuntu 12.04 Server w/ ZFS
    - HP N40L
    - 8GB non ECC ram
    - 4x 3TB Seagate (ex-Expansion) drives
    - 1x cheap SSD (can someone recommend me one from MSY's list?)

Simple storage appliance. Old N36L will be used to boot up once a week (say Sunday 1am), do an fsck (or equivalent for ZFS?), rsync all the data, and send a status email to my email account before shutting down.

Need to get the N40L to have a status check (sends me a weekly health email + sms in case of critical error and shuts down). Wanting to also run:
    - sabnzbd
    - torrent
    - remote desktop or vnc
    - VPN relay server
    (All in a VM to keep it all separate).

Now if the guy above gets 16GB working, I'll buy 16GB of RAM... figure the VMS + ZFS will like the added memory.

2. ChrisGNV

ChrisGNV Member

VMWare server hosting WHS 2011 and Win 7 media center

I've not done it before but am considering playing with VMWare EXSi. My goal would be (as in the subject) to host WHS 2011 and Win7 media center. My use of either is light. I don't record TV nor rip (or even store) movies. I have WMC only for use of add-ins for Hulu and ESPN3.

I have a spare (underpowered) AMD 64 bit workstation that I'd like to test installation on before doing it on my N40L. The server is currently stable running WHS v1 and is used primarily for client backup and file storage.

I don't have one in it now but I'd install a low power video card in the N40L for use with Windows Media Center. I won't be doing any transcoding, wuch as PlayOn, so won't be taxing the CPU. (Not with media stuff, anyway.) Success with this project allows me to retire a small workstation dedicated to that purpose.

An important function is the ability to use an infrared WMC remote control. I have a USB version IR receiver. I don't need to use IR emitters - only the USB input. Can that work in VMWare to pass the signals to the WMC session?

While the workstation I have probably is underpowered for this purpose, I really only want it to become familiar with the install process, after which I'll install it on the N40L. What I need is pointers to basic install info. Has anyone published any guides, or a blog about personal experience?

Thanks in advance.

Chris
    Gainesville, FL
    USA

3. calris

calris Member

As far as I am aware, EXSi is only really useful for 'server' applications as none of the guests have direct access to the video or sound hardware. So as a media centre, I don't think it is a viable solution.

There are advanced hardware features to enable direct pass-through of hardware devices (IO MMU and Directed I/O) - I don't think the CPU used in the N40L (AMD Turion™ II Model Neo N40L) supports these

4. viligar

viligar Member

Just ordered my HP N40L and wanted some advice.

Before i get flamed i have had a read and can't really find a proper answer to my question, so if you could direct me where i can find the answer if it has been asked before, that would be great!

I am looking at running a Ventrillo Server, FreeNas and probably a w28k R2 Vm's. The reason for this is FreeNas doesn't seem to do anything but be a nas, I have thought about this and I could just run this but I would like a little more. If I install ESXi on a usb and run the above config (vent would be on ubuntu). How would I set-up a raid-5 type array? Is it possible through ESXI, or would the disks I allocate to the freenas be able to be set-up in ZFS. In the case of a harddisk failure, if the disk fails that has the VM allocated to it, this would mean I have lost it all. Anything solution to the above problems or information about it would be fantastic.

The other option i am thinking about is just running Ubuntu(or something similar) install samba and just making the shares I require, then I can still run mythtv and all the other good things I want to run, but without the niftyness of freenas.

What do you all think?

Any help/advice would be fantastic.

5. calris

calris Member

With over 400 pages of posts, even if the answer was already here I wouldn't be surprised if you missed it ;)

Well I'm running Fedora 16, RAID-5, ext4 with NFS sharing /home to my main Fedora dev machine and SAMBA share for a Win7 media centre (soon to be replaced with a Raspberry Pi when it arrives)

6. Osiris

Osiris Member

ZFS requires direct access to your disks but N36L and N40L microservers don't support vt-d which is needed for ESXI to use DirectIO Pass Through. If you want ZFS then you'll need to run Nas4Free or OpenIndiana + Napp-it as the host operating system then use VirtualBox in headless mode to run VMs. This is not straight forward, so you'll need to spend some time researching.

I'm in the same boat. I've chosen OpenIndiana + Napp-it and am working on creating a Zone for running VirtualBox (haven't got there just yet).

7. bsbozzy

bsbozzy Member

I am pretty sure you can map the physical drives via rdm in esxi to a guest machine, and Im pretty sure I read it in this thread.

http://dischord.org/blog/2011/06/29/esxi-zfs-rdm-freebsd-and-the-hp-n63l-microserver/

8. gbh

gbh Member

that url is a nice find!

9. Chilith

Chilith Member

Just had my HP MicroServer arrive today!!

Putting 8GB of ram into it
    And an ATI 1GB 6450 for HTPC functions.

Looking forwards to powering this beast up this week :D

(Had a friend link me this thread after i told him i got 1, and its HUGE :shock: )

10. Osiris

Osiris Member

You sure can, I've done it myself. But you only get 10% of the performance: with 3x 2TB RDMed to Nas4Free I was getting max of 10MB/s transfers. With OpenIndiana on bare metal (not quite the same), I was getting 90-100MB/s.

11. swaggie

swaggie New Member

To: PC PitStop

Re: SFF-8484 to SFF-8087 (female) cable or adapter

Are you able to supply a SFF-8484 to SFF-8087 (female) adaptor or cable?
    (0.5m)

No but we have this:
    http://www.pc-pitstop.com/search.asp?keyword=SAS-8787FF+

You can combine that with the cable to get a female SFF-8087 connection.

Regards,
    Mark
    PC PitStop

SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 Female to Female Adapter/Coupler
    This is an inline coupler to connect two SFF-8087 cables together.
    $59.95 Part#: SAS-8787FF

0.5m SFF-8484 (host) to SFF-8087 (device) SAS Cable
    Connect a SAS backplane with 36 pin miniSAS connector to a SAS controller
    with 32 pin multilane connector.
    $29.00 Part#:SAS-87D84H-05M

Postage?
    Fedex Int. Economy $72.76 or
    Fedex Int. Priority $75.12

Now I just bought a second hand LSI LOGIC-LSISAS1078 C1- HP SmartArray P400 raid controller used checked item for $41 on ebay

So a bit over $160 to keep the backplane functionality or use a SFF-8484 fan out cable and additional molex and take the back off the cold swap cage

Im waiting on a second supplier before I decide which way to go

Swaggie

12. swaggie

swaggie New Member

RE: seeking SFF-8484 to SFF-8087 (female)

Hi Swaggie,

Here is the quote you have requested.

Part# iSAS-84-73(F)/.5m

Price:39.85ea 3-4 weeks

There will be a 5pc MOQ for this order. I can ship to you in Australia from our location in the US. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Thanks,
    Ken Miller

C.S. Electronics
    1821 Langley Ave
    Irvine,CA,92614
    (P) 949-475-9100
    (F) 949-475-9119
    ken@cselex.com
    www.cselex.com

-----------------------

Much better price but they want a minimum order of 5 - If there are a couple of people interested I dont mind funding the balance for my own use or later sales - Looking for a straight split of the cost for 5 plus postage divided by 5

Let me know if there is any interest

Swaggie

13. Mudg3

Mudg3 Member

I'll 2nd that RDM is a waste of time.

14. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

Damnit!

Just as I get paid, the price o the N40L from i-tech has gone up from $219 to $290!

A few weeks back I was able to get 2x N40L's and 2x 8gb ram for about $588 shipped, now that's an extra $140 :(

I'll have to wait until ozbargain comes up with a few sales I guess..

15. mitsimonsta

mitsimonsta Member

Has anyone pumped a USB disk through to a VM under ESXi? Does it work on these?

I'd like to plug in a 500GB external I have laying around and run it into my utorrent VM and have it store the download/seeds there.

16. ChrisGNV

ChrisGNV Member

In that case, I have no need to invest the time in learning how to install it. I'll just proceed with WHS 2011 and keep the separate media center workstation.

Thanks

17. oz-utester

oz-utester Member

Scorptec are probably the cheapest in Oz right now. Picked up one in store yesterday for $249
    http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/44334-658553-371

18. Blinky

Blinky Member

Getting a bit closer, maybe tomorrow. :(

Date/Time Activity Location
    15/05/12 10:11 Received and awaiting clearance for delivery MELBOURNE
    15/05/12 10:11 Received and awaiting clearance for delivery MELBOURNE
    11/05/12 04:30 Received and ready for processing USSFOA
    11/05/12 04:29 Received and ready for processing USSFOA
    10/05/12 17:53 Item lodged US-98059

19. sammich

sammich Member

Could someone give me a quick hand in seeing if these fit/work?

G.Skill-NT 4GB Single DDR3 1333 RAM (not sure if this is the same as the Value Select RAM listed in the wiki)
    Fanless ASUS 1GB GT520 or a list from here (not sure if this version fits the heatsink looks pretty tall).
    Asus My Cinema U3100 Mini Plus TV Tuner

Thanks in advance. I only have one chance to pick up these things from the store won't have to to return them if anything goes wrong (well at least not for a couple months)

Cheers.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  20. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

cheers.

I'll just wait right now for it to come on special... surely it'll come back.

Looking at another two for esx hosts, my NAS' are now built and should last me a couple of years.