HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. ex4n

ex4n Member

I'm going with Ubuntu Desktop as I've chucked a HD6450 in there for HDMI out and will also be using it for a HTPC, so a GUI would be useful :)

Sounds like yours got here a lot quicker than mine, haha.

EDIT:

A quick update for anyone interested in using 16GB of RAM in these things. I've tried 2 different pairs of 8GB sticks today. I am using 'The Bay's modified BIOS' which enables AHCI on SATA 4/5.

Firstly I tried KVR1333D3N9/8G x2 which are half height Kingston sticks, non registered non ECC, they were $44 each. These only detected 8GB after many reboots. I tried one of these, plus the 2GB stick it came with and 10GB was detected, then I put an 8GB stick back in and 16GB WAS detected ONCE then upon next reboot it went back to 8GB. I tried about 20 reboots to see the pattern and only saw the 16GB show up once. I would not deem these compatible.

Next I went for a safer bet, and grabbed 2x F3-1333C9D-16GAO which are G-Skill Ares sticks, these were $84 for a kit of 2 from MSY or $42 each. These detected 16GB right off the bat, but subsequent restarts are again only detecting 8GB, this is supposed to be compatible according to the first post, any ideas? I didn't have to modify or remove the orange heat spreaders either, here is a pic of the clearance, a perfect fit IMO.

[​IMG]

EDIT 2:

Ok so the GSkill Ares stuff was no good for me for some reason, I decided to take it back to MSY and grab some Patriot RAM which they also carry. They didn't mind me swapping it once I explained it was incompatible with my mobo and that it did work, and that I did know what I was doing :)

This time I got PD000248-PGD316G1333ELK which is 2x8GB kit of Patriot G2 RAM. It had slightly more clearance than the Gskill ram above due to a lower heatspreader (~2mm lower). This is also listed as compatible in the first post of this thread. I have met great success with this RAM so far, after numerour reboots it continuously detects 16GB of RAM installed, as does my OS (Ubuntu Desktop x64). I am typing this from my N40L now.

So I guess this post goes to show that YMMV when it comes to installing 16GB in these machines, and they really are fussy mother fuckers. Patriot seems to work for me, others have had more luck with G.Skill. Perhaps there is some difference in the motherboard in older/newer machines?

[​IMG]

TL;DR
    Kingston KVR1333D3N9/8G - NOT COMPATIBLE
    G.Skill F3-1333C9D-16GAO - NOT COMPATIBLE (Only detects 16GB ~10% of the time.)
    Patriot PGD316G1333ELK - WORKING 100% (So far)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  2. craigcurtin

craigcurtin Member

yes they do seem fussy - i have two that i just bought - both within 3 days of each other - both with Ares 16GB - one posts fine each and every time to 16GB - the other only about 1/2 the time

Go figure

Craig

3. pcd

pcd Member

I'll second this recommendation. I'm using the graphical install. The UI does make life a little easier for someone with limited Unix experience, but the UI does seem to take a fair amount of CPU. I'd like to have the graphical UI not automatically start, kinda like the old DOS days when you had to type 'win' to get windows running. At this point in time I have NFI how to do that. However OI and ZFS is running great, I love the idea of the protection levels, snapshots, time slider and the like.
    I have also struggled with the security / ACL side, but the raw functionality is great.

pcd

4. pcd

pcd Member

I have noticed that from a cold start 16Gb shows up each and every time, with a warm boot 90% of the time 8Gb. Mine are now set to automatically power on and the switched plug board I use is close at hand.
    I'm fairly sure I'm using the KVR1333D3N9/8G.

pcd

5. Stanza

Stanza Member

Yup, there are two different N36L motherboards ( ie two versions ) I have had both.

I am guessing there is also 2 or poss 3 N40L ones as well.... As they are a little longer running.

With some thorough questioning and replies, we could prob narrow down which versions work with which ram modules as a definite ...

6. pcd

pcd Member

I have some with a MAC address of 44:1E:A1:x:y:z and some with a MAC address of E4:11:5B:x:y:z. However all the units with the 16Gb are 44:1E:A1:x:y:z

pcd

7. ex4n

ex4n Member

would make sense.. feel free to ask away as I am pretty clueless :)
    I only know what I've tested today. had my box 2 days.

unrelated... im a total linux noob but just stumbled through setting up zfs and sharing folders with samba and now im copying files off my windows pc..

i installed samba, created a user and password, added my zfs pool to the config file and then set permissions for each of the folders within to 777 so i could write to them.. i this the right way to go about it?

EDIT: I have another question, I'll just edit it in here since I am still the last poster.

I've created a RAIDz array over 5x2TB WD Greens. I am running Ubuntu 12.04 Desktop edition off a USB thumbstick, it is a bit slow so I will need to tweak this for now but considering a 30GB SSD or something now, as it is quite slow, might even use the 250GB drive that came with it.

My question, if I chose to install a new OS on a different drive, can I simply import my zpool to the new OS or is it permanently linked to the current OS? I am also curious in the event my USB stick dies or an OS HDD dies, can it easily be recovered? I am assuming so.. but would like confirmation of this.

Cheers

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  8. rmuser

rmuser Member

Good luck with that. You will be swapping that HD6450 for an nVidia card very soon I predict. Linux support for ATI gfx cards is pathetic. I have a fanless nVidia card (210?) in mine and it is perfect for HTPC duties since it supports video decoding on the card with the vdpau module. I can watch 1080p on my Microserver and the CPU util stays at < 10%.

9. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

+1 fanless Nvidia 210

10. mooboyj

mooboyj Member

Another +1 to a fanless GT210 with Ubuntu Server 12.04:)

11. ex4n

ex4n Member

I was under the impression it was the other way around, general consensus is that ATI have the better Linux support.

It has been working fine since I installed it, so no complaints from me... :) What kind of problems should I be expecting?

Edit: I am using the proprietary drivers if that means anything.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  12. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Historically ATi where slack at present having not used ATi for many a year I'm unable to comment, but Nvidia is a proprietary driver and it works fine, check the Ubuntu threads if you have issues.

13. woobla

woobla New Member

I went back to freenas after fucking around for endless hours trying to learn ubuntu server

now trying to figure out why freenas wont recognise the 2 ram sticks

i purchased 1 4gb module kingston ecc, and have put the other one that comes with the n40 l in their but its only 2gb, both same speed.

so total of 6gb, bios and windows recognise it, but not freenas.

so i guess ill just leave it in there or get another stick of 4gb. It does not seem to like different ram sizes.

14. ex4n

ex4n Member

is your freeNAS install 64bit? If BIOS sees 6gb and so does windows it is all I can think of.

15. woobla

woobla New Member

OMG I feel like such a nooblet.

YES YES this was the problem hahahah

X86 version :p

16. craigcurtin

craigcurtin Member

If you like Freenas - try OpenMedia Vault

It is built on Debian rather than BSD so over time all the mainstream Linux stuff will be available.

Craig

17. pcd

pcd Member

If it's working for you then I guess the answer is Yes. Just realise that you have granted full access to everyone who can connect.

Whilst I have not tried this, my understanding is that you just import the disks. They can be in any order etc. The headers on the disks contain all the information required.

pcd

18. TimothyJB

TimothyJB Member

Bump - Stanza? :)

19. Stanza

Stanza Member

Depends on your needs....

Prob not the right thread for it, but search this storage section for SAS Expanders and you will find many types and brands.

The SC44Ge is a rebranded LSI card, so will work fine with many expanders, not just the HP one...

Intel
    Chenbro
    HP

Are some of the ones available, in 16, 24 and 32 port versions. And many different mounting types also. Eg PCI slot, surface mount, or ones to fit where a motherboard would.

3Gbps or 6Gbps, single or dual link...

The options are plenty.

Most people choose the 24bay rack mount Norco case for simplicity and either the Chenbro or the HP... To allow Daisy chaining to further Norco cases.

SAS protocol and expanders are limited to around 66,000 devices.... So once you reach that limit let me know;)

20. rmuser

rmuser Member

Who said anything about Ubuntu Server 12.04? I am running Mint12 on mine and even compared to Ubuntu (it is based on Ubuntu) it "just works" or at least it does for everything I want it to do... I manage a team of Linux Sysadmins who all use Mint on their workstations, so.... My guys know what's up.