HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. doodz

doodz Member

These units are a little great unit!

Im gonna use mine as an offline storage unit with 4x3TB HDD which will give me ~7.8TB.

This will give me a few more TBs on my norco server and puts off me having to expand on the norco I have. PITA to do it.

Im gonna name this offline storage unit "faith". :)

So Buffy and Faith ftw :thumbup:

2. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

God sometimes I wish OCAU allowed VV!

3. Stanza

Stanza Member

LOL :p:p:p

4. uneekwahn

uneekwahn Member

Huzzah! Got mine :)

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  5. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

nice hook mark on the box there ;)

6. da_horse

da_horse Member

I've thrown a HIS 5450 in there. It has a low profile bracket (which is essential) and does HDMI sound. I run it all via HDMI into a 46" Sony and have no problems there at all. Heat wise it's passively cooled and the fins aren't that high too which lets it slide in and out easily. I bought mine from MSY for $41.

7. silenthunter

silenthunter Member

I'm using an Zotec Nvidia GT210 and it outputs 5.1 over HDMI fine.

8. rmuser

rmuser Member

I have also put a HIS 5450 in mine. Wanted to go nVidia 210 but the only passively cooled ones I could find were either full height or 2 slot due to the size (width) of the heatsink. I think someone else got an Asus fanless nVidia 210 in but they had to "persuade" the fins of the heatsink with a hammer. I don't roll like that so ATI it was. Also, the power requirement of the 5450 is a lot less than the 210.

Anyway, I called mine "br1ck". I have managed to get the proprietary ATI drivers installed but not with a Xen kernel. So will just use KVM for virtualisation. OS is Sci Linux 5.

Still working out video playback. Installed VLC last night and 1080p was a bit choppy. From doing a little reading today I think I need to _disable_ GPU acceleration and all will be good...

EDIT: Yeah, also no sound yet out of VLC at least. Need to setup alsa I think? lspci shows a sound device on the video card.

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  9. khadland

khadland Member

Bit the bullet and got the VTX3D one for $29. Will try it out over the next couple of days and report back.

10. uncleted

uncleted Member

I put a Zotac G210 fanless in there and it fit fine, the only tight part was sliding the motherboard with the card in it back in past the power cable. Didn't need to hammer any heatsink fins.

It came with a couple low-profile brackets and cost circa $36 from MSY for a 1GB model.

A little bit of stuffing around with Alsa configuration and it plays back audio through XBMC quite happily.

11. Q-w-e-r-t-y

Q-w-e-r-t-y Member

i got mine and installed esxi. running individual disks until my hp p400 raid controller arrives. for those running esxi, whats your storage configuration look like? i see this thing does not support pci pass-through.

- are you going to use RDM to map raw disks
    - other option i'm thinking of running is a virtual san appliance like starwind

i might try a few differnt options before settling on a solution. i kinda want an all in one esxi box without having a separate physical storage machine.

12. yanman

yanman Member

Are you sure? That CPU apparently supports AMD-V which is PCI virtualisation. Maybe the board does not though?

13. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

I'm running mine with ESXi installed to a USB key in the internal port. I have the 250GB as VMFS and I have another desktop running FreeNAS 0.7xxx and iSCSI. It seems to work well for my lab purposes.

14. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Can anyone tell me what happens after it's released from customs? Will I get a TNT consignment number or something? Please advise :p

Code:
     May 25, 2011 12:02:00 AM PDT 	 Import Customs Release 		 Sydney, New South Wales (SYD) 	 ATD - CUSTOMS RELEASE 
     May 25, 2011 12:00:00 AM PDT 	 Decl. Lodged w Customs 		 Sydney, New South Wales (SYD) 	 ENTRY LODGED 
     May 24, 2011 06:00:00 PM PDT 	 Comm Docs Received 		 	 Sydney, New South Wales (SYD) 	 Documents Received 
     May 24, 2011 01:20:00 PM PDT 	 At Final Destination 		 	 Sydney, New South Wales (SYD) 	 BA15/25 SYD FMBA T1 ACTUAL 
     May 24, 2011 01:20:00 PM PDT 	 Act Arrival P.O.U 		 	 Sydney, New South Wales (SYD) 	 BA15/25 SYD FMBA T1 ACTUAL 
     May 24, 2011 01:15:00 PM PDT 	 Estimated Time of Arrival 	 	 Singapore (SIN) 	 Sydney, New South Wales (SYD) 	 SIN-SYD: BA15/24 
     May 24, 2011 05:47:00 AM PDT 	 Confirmed on Board 	 	 	 Singapore (SIN) 	 Sydney, New South Wales (SYD) 	 SIN-SYD: BA15/24 FMBA T1 ACTUAL 
     May 24, 2011 04:45:00 AM PDT 	 Booked 	 	 	 	 Singapore (SIN) 	 Sydney, New South Wales (SYD) 	 SIN-SYD: BA15/24 
     May 23, 2011 01:02:00 PM PDT 	 Freight Received w/Docs

15. khadland

khadland Member

I checked mine this morning as it said the same thing then it just turned up.

16. die_piggy

die_piggy Member

17. rmuser

rmuser Member

Well played! I expect to be able to get Alsa going easily enough although it was a pig of a thing last time I used it. Just concerned now about the 1080p video playback but again, I am reasonably confident I'll get there.

18. gr8r-x

gr8r-x Member

I can tell you for a fact that the GF210 works quite well under Linux with hardware decoding and HDMI audio out... I can't help you at all with the ATI though, sorry! :lol:

Haven't read all 50 pages - has anyone figured out how to change the HP status light?? Would be nice to adjust it under Linux..

19. silenthunter

silenthunter Member

FWIW my GT210 required me to set the audio to custom on plughw 0.7 using XBMC (OpenELEC)

20. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

running xbmc live was a brillient idea, cudos to you guys who thought of it, I'll probably end up switching from w7 to it :)