HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. Statts

Statts RIP

Wow, confused.

Can anyone link me to a good guide, or tell me themselves, how to set the ashift on a zpool in Solaris 11 Express?

Many thanks

2. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

without using a hacked zpool binary, i don't think you can...

and despite what some cowboys here might tell you, hacking the zpool code is not a good idea, is not safe, and will most probably bite you in the arse at some stage

3. fido666

fido666 Member

Haven't had an answer yet, anyone able to enlighten me? Also is there much benefit in running the full version of Freenas from a HDD over embedded off a USB? I know full allows you to add packages but I don't know what functionality I might gain by doing this.

4. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

I'd be trying to give the whole 4kb mis-reporting drives a wide-berth. Go with Hitachi's if you can otherwise it's tricky.

5. Statts

Statts RIP

It's considered safe by the ZFS community. Here's a good thread posted today...

http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=517334&#517334

You're assuming I'm talking about some 3.5" drives where there is an option, right? This is for a vdev made up of 2.5" 1TB Samsungs with native 4k, no 512 emulation. My second vdev made up of Hitachi 3TB 5k3000's will be 512b.

6. OP
    OP
    oli

oli Member

Heh I am constantly amused at the length of all this 4kb related discussion here. For a few dollars more (or the same price) you can get hard drives without these weird issues. Why bother with the risk? :confused:

7. platinum

platinum Member

I already had a couple of 2tb WD green drives laying around, made more sense to buy 2 more rather than buy 4x more or another brand.

Also it's not particularly a risk IMO, just slightly lower transfer speeds. Mine's not aligned and it gives 50mb/sec speeds, which is more than enough for the home environment. Next time I rebuild it, I'll be sure to align properly though.

8. OP
    OP
    oli

oli Member

OK maybe "risk" was the wrong word.

Just sticking with whatever everyone knows works and has done for a long time. :D:thumbup:

9. Statts

Statts RIP

Doc, I'm currently looking at this 'fix'. Being a bit of a Solaris/ZFS noob, can you tell me if this is something that needs to be changed back when I create a vdev of 512 drives in the near future, or if I can run zpool and zpool-12 simultaneously?

EDIT: Just asked in #opensolaris on IRC. Turns out you can run both zpool and zpool-12 at the same time and use whichever to create pools based on your desired ashift value.

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  10. Nasha

Nasha Member

picoPSU

Hi Guys,

Soon to be owner of one of these beauties... Missed out on the initial bargain price, but picked one up on eBay for a "reasonable" price.

Anyway, just wondering whether the picoUSB will be capable of powering 5x HDD's? Potentially more after seeing the post with the 4x 2.5" drive bay...

Thanks,
    Nasha

p.s. Big thumbs up to the OP for updating the first post with all the awesome links :D

11. Stanza

Stanza Member

If you are banging more drives inside... why why why downsize the PSU?

:confused:

12. gr8r-x

gr8r-x Member

Ouch.. My raw Samsung F4's give over 80mb/s each. I took the easy route and just setup the raw devices as the raid in mdadm.... No alignment needed. :lol:

13. pinchies

pinchies Member

The reason to switch to the picoPSU is that it is very efficient compared to a normal powersupply (like 90% vs 70%). This difference is most pronounced at low currents, like during system idle. With larger load operation the advantage is much less, more like 90% vs 85%. Up to you.

14. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Ahhh, my bad.

I think as long as the drives are 4k and report 4k its not a big deal (big "think") I know I read the definitive on it just the other day; I'll hunt around.

15. rmuser

rmuser Member

I was under the impression that there was a performance benefit since error correction was done across 4k rather than 8 times across 512 bytes for the same amount of data..? I guess that may only be if they are used natively rather than with the 512 emulation, dunno.

I have 4 WD 2TB greens in mdadm RAID10 and was seeing some good numbers writing and reading 1GB and 10GB files - from memory 160MB/s write and 120MB/s reads.

Anyway, 512 byte is "legacy" so may as well be the early adopters but of course that also means the beta tester weeding out all the strange places in code where there's a 512 byte assumption.

16. DD32

DD32 Member

17. neilt0

neilt0 New Member

I didn't actually cable any of them. :D It was more a proof of concept in case I wanted to add a 4-port PCI-E SATA card and add more drives. I only have 6 drives in mine right now.

Here's the full thread about my build: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=11585.0

18. mikehol

mikehol Member

Has anyone tried to use this for video playback in Linux?
    The CPU is OK for software decoding, but I'm getting tearing and judder in mplayer and mythtv.
    Am using the ATI driver with "no-tears" option selected, to no effect.

I suppose I should use a separate device for myth frontend, e.g. appleTv running XBMC, but its a pity the ATI graphics do not work properly in Linux.

19. platinum

platinum Member

Mines setup with RAID-Z so might be a bit different (only the standard 1GB ram too).

20. Goonit

Goonit Member

In reference to PicoPSUs
    The whole system even fully decked with HDDs and a low power graphics card wouldn't use more than 60W, the PSU is overrated for this box in reality, a smaller and much much more efficient PSU is a good idea. In my mind at least, you can call me a penny pincher, but in the time span i'll keep it and it'll run 24/7, I think a decent PSU with high efficiency is worth it, it will save me money in the long run especially if power continues to rise like it is.