HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. mitsimonsta

mitsimonsta Member

They do JBOD, 0, 1 and 0+1 from memory. May also do RAID10.

As you stated they can do RAID5 with the module. The modules are expensive and the XOR calculation speed on this chipset is woeful. The M5015 card has a much improved XOR performance and runs rings around the M1015.

The beauty of the M1015 is that you can cross flash them to IT mode and use them as an 8-port HBA. They are cheap and plentiful, low profile, run cool. Basically - lots to like if you want to run ZFS.

Absolutely. But sometimes a bit more info on the exact usage scenario can make things much easier and we can give much better info.

It's also important to know what OS he will be using. If he wants FreeNAS with ZFS booting from USB and running say 4x 3.5" drives in the cage (maybe an extra 3.5" crammed in somewhere off the ODD SATA port) plus adding another 4x 1TB 2.5" drives in a 5.25" cage, the M1015 is best. Might also need an Intel PRO NIC in there, FreeNAS 8 has history of not liking the built-in Broadcom port.

If he wants Windows-based (Or ESXi) with Hardware RAID5, he will need a P410 or similar. There's some cheap Adaptec cards out there for about $130 on eBay with a single SFF-8087, does RAID5 but the XOR is slow and the card is a slug. They will work but wouldn't be great.

2. Willo

Willo Member

You guys are just great. Thanks for the info. right now I plan on either Windows Server 2012 Storage or Windows Server 2008 R2.

The main use will be file server for home network and IP Camera hosting and recording. I may get a freenas running later but not right now. So I'm just after something that will replicate the READ/WRITE speed I can get out of a QNAP TS-419P II for now, nothing blazingly fast. Just enough to watch a movie over SMB to media devices..... I don't stream or transcode.....

3. wallen

wallen Member

If you want to stay within your $100 budget, your best bet is probably the HP P212. I picked up 2 x new P212 ZM's on eBay, one for around $80, the other $70, both as last second auction pickups. I then grabbed new 256Mb cache modules for them both (enabling RAID 5) for less than $30 each.

The only downside of the P212 IMO is that it has 1 x SFF-8088 external and 1 x SFF-8087 internal, unlike the 2 x 8087 internal ports on the LSI-1078-based Supermicro AOC-USASLP-H8iR I have in my first N40L. It's just a touch neater having all the cables internal, but won't matter if you want to connect up an external SAS extender. Also, the P212 needs an advanced feature license to enable things like RAID 6.

As I have multiple 2.5" drives in the ODD Bay, the internal ports suited me, but the P212 still works fine in the 2nd N40L with an SFF-8088 to 4 x SATA cable snaking back through the opening at the rear.

Also, for the record, I got the Supermicro card through a Taobao agent, so it only really cost around $125, which for a full featured 512M card supported under vSphere was a great deal, I think... :leet:

4. simm

simm Member

I'm trying to track down a 16 GB memory kit to use with my N40L. Most of the known to (usually) work kits are getting hard to source. :sick:

Has anyone tried these?

Geil 16GB Kit (2X8GB) DDR3 Black Dragon C9 1333mhz (GB316GB1333C9DC)

5. wallen

wallen Member

I've not tried them, but I (and others) have the Transcend 8GB DDR3 PC3-10600 CL9 (JM1333KLH-8G) pieces running successfully, but as my N40L's are March/April vintage, it may be because of the board rev. YMMV.

They still seem to be in a bunch of places between $35-40 per piece: http://www.shopbot.com.au/m/?m=JM1333KLH-8G - when I got mine a month ago, I picked them up for $25 each, which I figured was low enough to not care too much if they didn't work properly, unlike the huge ask for some other types, including the 4G Kingston ECC RAM pieces I already had.

6. simm

simm Member

Cheers Wallen, I'll give those a go. :thumbup:

7. roh008

roh008 Member

OK - Anyways to speed up the POST? It does take around 20 seconds, to check all the drives and USB check.
    Once windows Sign appears it is a bit quicker than HDD

8. roh008

roh008 Member

Yes I am running the GT620, fits well, I got the one with the fan, as the noise from the PSU and HDDs spinning are probably louder.

9. ics

ics Member

He has ZFS compression turned on and he's using /dev/zero so it's compressing the string of zeros hence the high speed.

10. stacey

stacey Member

Ok quick question bought my first one - want to put 4 WD 3tb red in there. I read somewhere i think that the boot drive can only support up to 2tb - is this right?

Can i get around this by doing the Bios hack/upgrade?

11. BluBoy

BluBoy Member

I wouldn't put your OS with your data anyway.
    Find a 4GB+ USB stick that can read/write 20/20MBps+ and use that with the internal USB socket provided.

12. garetz

garetz Member

What usb stick are people using to run as an OS ?

Preferably one that is stable quality, ( wont die within a week to a few months) and has high reads/writes.

I have used several, but they either really suck at read/write or die very quickly.

This is shitting me, i might just change to a ssd if i cant find one worth using.

13. GooSE

GooSE New Member

I'm using a cheapie Sandisk 4GB drive for my FreeBSD install and it has been fine.

I obviously don't use swap and I make use of RAM disks for things like /var, etc.

14. unmaskedgrunt

unmaskedgrunt Member

Cheap 8GB Apacer thing that I picked up from work. Does the job pretty well.

15. Blinky

Blinky Member

16. garetz

garetz Member

Ive had several issues, i usually use sandisk or kingston, and tried a couple corsair. A few failed within a week or 2, one kept losing the partition, just bad luck maybe. I have a corsair Gtr for years that i never had a problem with, but its just way too large to use.

17. Jay95

Jay95 Member

Sorry if this has been mentioned in the 43 billion replies in this thread somewhere...

What are hard drive temptures like in the N40L, say in a five or six 3.5" HDD set up?

Being a small box it'd be interesting to see how effiecient the cooling is - the last thing you want is to find out your drives are running at high temps all day, especially with summer coming :(

18. oz-utester

oz-utester Member

steer clear of the fanless ones heatsink is too big.

I got a 520 from umart Friday, seem to be sold out now.

There's this:
    http://www.warcom.com.au/products/39296_gigabyte_gt520

19. roh008

roh008 Member

Agreed fanless ones won't fit comfortably (if at all). I had a look at them but opted out of the fanless option.

20. roh008

roh008 Member

N40L SSD

Any got an SSD installed?

What Read/Write speeds do you guys get with the N40L?