HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. gr8bob

gr8bob Member

I think the potential issue would be the spike in power load during disk spin up of all the drives. Unless you can implement staggered spin up on the drive, it would be good to have some reserve on power handling.

2. OP
    OP
    oli

oli Member

What's the timespan? 1? 2? 3 years?

3. neilt0

neilt0 New Member

This is true.

I have 2x 7200rpm drives, 3x 5400rpm drives and 1x 2.5" 5400rpm drive in mine and the power at boot spikes at over 115W. In normal use, it's around 35W.

4. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

No ATi graphics work "properly" in Linux, hence why everyone goes nVidia :Pirate:

It's just a shame that nVidia have also started screwing Linux users with the likes of Optimus (lack of) support and what not :upset:

5. mikehol

mikehol Member

Ta. I'd hoped it had got better. There is also Intel, who help with open-source drivers. No VDPAU, but good enough for MythTV and general Desktop use.
    I'll keep this machine headless then.

6. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

I don't think Intel are very good either TBH. They take so long to get their shite sorted when they are the dudes. Delaying drivers for a discrete graphics card is kind of so-so, but when the graphics are integrated onto your CPU then it's kind of bloody important to have decent drivers out at launch :rolleyes:

Personally I'll be putting in a GeForce GT520 into each of my boxen. It's sad, because I love ATi and AMD because they gave me my beloved T-Bird 1.33 AXJA and Radeon 9800 XT and Radeon X850XT. Trump cards of the day/time :Pirate:

Nowadays however my whole setup is Intel/nVidia sans this new microserver and it's little AMD Neo, quite disheartening :(

7. rugger

rugger Member

MDADM arrays

It is becoming clear to me that for all linux users using mdadm to create a raid 5 array using these big drives, the default stripe_cache_size is woefully inadequate.

cat /sys/block/md<devicenumber>/md/stripe_cache_size

will usually reply back with 256. I strongly recommend that you increase this cache to 4096 ... but probably not higher.

I am seeing a doubling of sequential write speeds with the higher stripe_cache_size, as well as somewhat improved random read/write speeds (30-40%)

I've tested this using iozone on 1 and 2tb drives. (256k chunk on the 1tb drives, 128k chunk on the 2tb drives) Improvements were seen on both arrays.

to increase the cache to 4096K on your linux raid array, use the following command:

echo 4096 > /sys/block/md<devicenumber>/md/stripe_cache_size

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  8. spite

spite Member

On thepost above, make sure you check the file path you're sending the echo to, it was missing an L in the 'block'.

echo 4096 > /sys/block/md<devicenumber>/md/stripe_cache_size

This made my write speeds significantly faster too ... :D

121mbytes/s -> 227mbytes/s using Linux Raid5 with 5 x Hitachi 5k3000 2TB's
    100mbytes/s -> 164mbytes/s using Linux Raid5 with 5 x Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB's (aligned - but now I am wondering lol).

9. rmuser

rmuser Member

I'm gonna brute force it.... lol

Or else I'll just go to MSY and get an nVidia card.

10. stumo

stumo Member

You just need a bigger ac adapter, none of that 12V hdd spinup/motor power goes through the pico. It comes straight from the 12V ac adapter. You can get 120W adapters off ebay for 30 bux. I think that's continuous power too, so peak would be higher. The pico would use a max of about 40W of that to power the other rails, leaving 80W for the 12V to the drives.

11. SaTaN

SaTaN Member

hmm, my array is messed up apparently. I copied a a 3.4GB file from the array to the stock 250GB drive in the ODD port at about 65MB/s, copying it back was under 40MB/s, even with the above trick.
    my array is 4x2T wd greens in mdadm raid5... I'm using the entire device so there shuldnt be any alignment issues right?

any ideas how to fix this? do i need to copy all the data off again and rebuild it all?

12. rmuser

rmuser Member

Try copying the file to /dev/null so that the ODD port and HDD on it are not the bottleneck.... Have you flashed your bios to get full speed on that port? Regardless, your testing is not testing the array io throughput it is testing the io throughput of the 250GB HDD. /facepalm

eg.

cp /mnt/md0/file /dev/null

for read throughput, and

dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/md0/testfile bs=10M count=300

...for a 3GB write test

Didn't occur to you that a single HDD would be the bottleneck rather than your RAID5? And yes, you should not have alignment issues if you have used full devices rather than partitions.

Edit: please post your results too. I have the same drives (4x2TB WD green) in RAID10 so am interested to compare the RAID5 and RAID10 performance.

13. Blinky

Blinky Member

I've noticed you've said this a couple of times now and it is not correct for every pico psu, as mentioned earlier.

14. SaTaN

SaTaN Member

please reread what i said... WRITE speed to the single ODD drive is double WRITE speed to the raid5 array which is just wrong. you're not suggesting the ODD drive has worse READ performance than its WRITE are you?

15. rmuser

rmuser Member

lol

What I am saying is that if you copy between the single ODD HDD and the RAID5 in EITHER DIRECTION, the bottleneck will be the ODD HDD. In other words your testing is telling you NOTHING about the peak performance of the RAID5 array.

Just run the tests I suggested and post the results and then we'll know whether or not the performance of your RAID5 is reasonable or not.

you may want to use time for the cp command since it won't report the throughput:

"time cp /mnt/md0/file /dev/null"

16. stumo

stumo Member

It seems to be hard enough to get this info through anyway, without adding the few wide input models to the mix. If anyone's using those then I'd hope they know what they're doing.

The wide input models are red I believe, and are only suited for limited applications that don't require much 12V power. The normal picos are yellow.

17. Goonit

Goonit Member

None of us want to get wide range PicoPSUs though..?? I am no doubt out of my depth, but what you said earlier hasn't swayed the argument to keep the STD PSU at all. Considering most of us would be looking at the PicoPSU with the 12v DC feed of the AC adaptor, we're all good to go and save a money by increasing the efficiency of the PSU dramatically.

EDIT: All i see is, wattage reduced, efficiency increased. Where's the problem as long as we get higher wattage adaptors? eg, 60w Pico, 120w adaptor.

18. rugger

rugger Member

While the PicoPSU board would see very good efficiency .... the laptop AC to 12V adaptor would be where it most of the inefficiency comes from.

I'm not exactly seeing why the PicoPSU+laptop AC adaptor would be significantly more efficient then the included PSU .... maybe a few watts difference, however I can't see it recouping the cost of buying it any time soon.

19. Blinky

Blinky Member

+1 ~ Thank you for the common sense post.

20. mikehol

mikehol Member

Not quite true - I just checked the specs.

Output Voltage (V) 5VSB +3.3 +5 +12 -12
    Output Current (A) 1.5 5.0 6.0 4.0 0.05
    Output Power (W) 7.5 16.5 30 48 0.6
    Peak Current (A) 2.0 7.0 7.0 7.0 0.1

(sorry , HTML paste not working on OCAU)

The 80W rating includes 12V supply, which is switched and so limited.
    For a server, you are not worried about ATX power-off or suspend, so you could bypass the picoPSU for the 12V to the hard drives. But normally the 12V does indeed go through the pico, even though not regulated.

I ordered a 7A (84W) power brick to go with my pico, to provide a bit of a safety margin over the 5A units, and see if it can power my core2 desktop as well. (Search for "Delta 12V 7A" on ebay.)