1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. nogi

nogi Member

Hey guys, can’t seem to find the post again in this mega thread but I’m wanting to migrate my ESXi install from my N40L to another box (possibly non-microserver). My RAID5 is off a HP P410SAS card which plugs straight into the current N40L drive cage. If my new machine doesn’t have SAS what’s the correct cable to use from the p410? I am assuming that I can take the P410 card, keep the drives in the same order but using a new cable and retain the RAID array?

2. Slidey

Slidey Member

I went the Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter PCIe

works well in esxi v5.1

Got my N40L running esxi 5.1 with sophos UTM installed as a VM. The 2 Intel NICS i purchased are running LAN and WAN while the onboard runs my management LAN and other VM's in my lab

3. dragonFLAME

dragonFLAME Member

Hey mate, the latest build of Plex server has fixed alot of my streaming issues. I can stream 1080P quite well now. I was even pulling dual 720P TV Rips at the same time.

4. AbRASiON

AbRASiON Member

Anyone? please

5. wallen

wallen Member

Yes, since the RAID geometry is stored on the disks, you can transplant the controller and drives. As the P410 has 2 x internal ports you'll need an SFF-8087 to 4 x SATA if the new server isn't properly equipped. Like this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/150959677963#ht_2770wt_1044 :)

6. admiralranga

admiralranga Member

The important bit is to get a target cable not a host cable.

7. onggie

onggie Member

Sorry to the guys that were keen for a group buy on RAM, I messaged argh or whatever is name was but no reply and I wasn't going to be chasing him around either.

So I took the punt and bought the Kingston 16GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC CL9 DIMM (Kit of 2), the model is KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G. The N40L boots up showing 16gb every time, I rebooted around 7 or 8 times last night. The server is fresh out of the box, I had only booted it once, not bios upgrades etc. So basically you can't be a grinch if you want the server to boot with 16gb every time. Mwave had them for the cheapest price at $144.89 ex shipping. It took a week for them to arrive as they were in stock at the supplier, but a quick check shows them in stock now. Props to Mwave as well, there online chat custom service are very efficient.

Here are some pictures for evidence!

First Boot
    [​IMG]

Third Boot
    [​IMG]

Installing ESXi 5.1
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  8. _WearingPants

_WearingPants Member

Built

Finally got around to putting mine together. RMA'd the main board as it wasn't powering up the display. Turns out the monitor I was using struggles to display VGA. Swapped monitor and I was told the fan was missing. I had severed one of the cables for the fan. Fixed that and it worked as expected.

building:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8GB G Skill Ares
    IBM M5015
    1 x 120GB Sand Disk Extreme SSD
    6 x 1.5TB 5400rpm Spinpoints in Raid 5
    1 x 500gb 5400rpm samsung 2.5"

Running Server 2012, Sickbeard, Sabnzb, Thunderbird, Hyper-V, Print Server and soon to be WSUS.

Where it lives:

[​IMG]

9. AbRASiON

AbRASiON Member

What port multiplier are you using for the SATA?
    EDIT: and which port are you multiplying and did you flash the bios to do it?

10. silenthunter

silenthunter Member

Haven't seen an SSD mounted there before, interesting. Is it secured in anyway, or just sitting there?

11. _WearingPants

_WearingPants Member

Using the M5015 raid card for all 8 sata disks. It has been flashed to LSI firmware

just chilling. the 2.5" 500GB is sitting on top of it.

12. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Hey gents.

Going to rethink my microserver strategy.

It's currently got 4x2tb drives in my N40L. It is purely a file server, that's it's entire purpose so yea.

Thinking of going to 6x3tb drives, in some sort of raid array, with a USB stick as OS drive.

Best/cheapest way of going about that? I'll have to get a ~16-32gb usb stick for OS, a hdd bracket for the top bays, some sort of raid card (suggestions?) so support 3tb drives @ sata3 and of course the drives.

Thoughts? Or would I just be better off getting a 6 bay NAS or something?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  13. AbRASiON

AbRASiON Member

It won't boot off a 3TB disk, only a 2TB.
    So I have 1x2TB and 5x3TB
    The 2TB has a 100gb Windows partition, the rest is data

14. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Right. So the internal chipset will still read 3TB drives though?

I'm not concerned about not booting since I plan on throwing a USB stick into the internal usb port, since it's purely a file server OS read/writes will be kept to a minimum so yea.

So with the bios mod I should be able to throw 6x3TB drives no issues? Or would I be better off with a raid card?

Not too worried about RAID actually, since the server is mostly for backups anyways (executed through synctoy)... i'm fine just having the drives show up as individual drives. The 4x2tb drives that are in it now are set up as 2 sets of 2x2tb raid0 anyways....

15. datamile

datamile Member

Just started doing the same on mine.

Running 3*3tb toshiba drives, and unraid on a usb. unraid is free for 2 drives + parity, and appeared a cheap way of starting out. As the raid is no stripped etc, you can mount the non-parity drives in another box if lose 2 drives, and want the data off the third etc.

16. AbRASiON

AbRASiON Member

I run windows on mine - no need for bios mods, it'll just work with a 3TB because windows understand the GPT disks or some such stuff.

17. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Hrm, unRAID is an interesting proposition. Currently just using 2008r2.... might have to have a play when I get back home.

Okey dokey, will have to give it a try then. Nah I mean bios mod to unlock the 6th sata port on the motherboard.

18. AbRASiON

AbRASiON Member

6'th sata port just works? I mean it might be slower, apparently but 150mb/second is still more than enough for just reading HD video.

It doesn't need a bios mod to work with a HDD. I will however probably need a bios mod to do my port multiplier though.

19. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Yea for speed. I guess we'll see.

I'll start with getting the adapter for the top drive bay and getting the drives and seeing how we go from there.

Why is storage so expensive? :o

20. kumaran

kumaran Member

I must be blind because I can't see the 2.5"s. Is that them in the back left corner behind the optical drive bay?

Also, what are you using to mount the two 3.5"s in the 5.25" bay? Nexus doubletwin?

Thanks!