1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. rugger

rugger Member

Powersaving reducing clock speed of one of the cores while it is idle.

2. doodz

doodz Member

Thank you! That was easy!

3. g12345567

g12345567 Member

Max card size for pci-e x16 slot

I'll be getting my HP Microserver next week. Just looking into expansion cards. For the x16 slot, can somone please tell me what the maximum lenght card that will fit in the slot?

4. fido666

fido666 Member

I note you are running UnRAID. Any particular reason you chose this over FreeNAS, Solaris, et al?

5. OP
    OP
    oli

oli Member

cpu MHz : 1297.836
    cpu MHz : 1297.836

I got ripped off!

6. gr8bob

gr8bob Member

Odd question:

1. does any of your Microserver ever beeps when it boots up?

2. and has anyone found a way to program the HP 'health LED' to notify them of system events?

7. teno45

teno45 Member

yup. everytime...

8. gr8bob

gr8bob Member

Mine never did beep. :confused: Did you happened to have updated it with the latest or the patched BIOS?

9. stumo

stumo Member

Its the included stock 250GB HDD that "beeps" on startup.

10. ThunderbirdMoz

ThunderbirdMoz Member

ya bastaardddddddd. I got the fanless 210 for $37 but mine only came with half the ram you got!!!!

Still looking for a couple of parts before I commence playtime.

-Looking for a vga cable to disable the built in video upon first boot up. I know I SHOULD have that cable here somewhere but I can't find it.

-still need to buy 8gb of low height ram sticks

-getting a infra red or bluetooth receiver. Anyone using the HP as a HTPC installed one of these already? Which one did you get?

11. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

Normal height RAM is fine. I use a logitech MX5500 bundle (bluetooth KB and Mouse) that I bought when they were having a sale ($95 with free delivery). Normal wireless mouse/KB sucks.

12. ThunderbirdMoz

ThunderbirdMoz Member

Sorry I should have clarified. I'm looking for a infra red or bluetooth receiver so I can use a remote control for XBMC interface. I have a logitech learning remote so that covers that side of things but I'm wondering what peoples experiences are on the receiver end.

One of my rough ideas is to get a cheapo usb infra red receiver on focalprice and mounting it on the front of the case.

13. passivekid

passivekid Member

I have started setting my machine as a HTPC.

Using a Zotac 1GB 210 fanless LP graphics card, 4GB DDR3 Kingston low profile memory and a Pioneer blu-ray burner.

14. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

What is the model number for the low profile Kingston RAM? I have the low profile DDR2 in my Desktop and it's pro, so I'd love to have the low profile DDR3 in the Microservers :thumbup:

15. neilt0

neilt0 New Member

I looked at pretty much everything before settling on unRAID. It's specifically designed for servers holding large media collections, and it's great for that. Here are some of the key reasons I chose it:

* It spins down drives not in use. I could never get Windows to do this, it would eventually spin drives up at random. unRAID boots from a USB flash drive, so you can have a machine running with no drives spun up until you want to open a file. I've seen power consumption as low as 27W on my HP Microserver with 6 drives on board -- that's without using AMD Powernow or similar -- I hope to drop a few watts when I get that working.

* Only one parity drive for any number of data drives (up to 20 data drives). Cost-effective.

* You can mix and match any and all drives. Any size, any interface (SATA/IDE, not USB), any speed. I've used everything from a 4200rpm 2.5" 300GB drive to a 3.5" 2TB drive. 3TB drives are not yet supported, but hopefully should be soon.
    You just need to have a parity drive the same size or larger than the largest data drive.

* You can add drives whenever you want, and adding a drive is trivial. The OS just zeroes it out and bam! -- more storage.

* The user community is fantastic. You can add a large range of add-ons, most of which are user-generated. I've contributed with an nzbget build script, and I also use sabnzbd, Transmission, SubSonic, pyLoad, nzbgetter and a few more.

* It's simple to set up, but you can go very deep in to techie customisations. You can try it out with the free version (supports 2 data drives and 1 parity drive) -- just run the installer to make the bootable USB flash.

More info at: http://lime-technology.com/

16. gr8r-x

gr8r-x Member

user@box:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
    cpu MHz : 800.000
    cpu MHz : 800.000
    :tongue:

I setup Cacti on it to monitor it's CPU usage, RAM, etc. It's doing nothing essentially... Even though it's running as a media streamer, NAS, TV nabber, torrent box.... Damn Apache has taken almost all of the 1GB though. :D

17. OP
    OP
    oli

oli Member

Hehe... Well now that I've got mine setup properly I might install munin to do some monitoring. Mine's certainly working a bit hardware with two active VMs.

18. die_piggy

die_piggy Member

can it handle the pysdo 512 drives (like the Samsung f4's) at full speed?

And how is it at combatting bitrot compared to zfs ?

19. passivekid

passivekid Member

I think I will end up running Mythbuntu with Virtualbox on top for a Windows VM for stuff. :)

Just need to find the right TV tuner for Mythbuntu now!

20. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Has anyone got WakeOnLan (WOL) working with *nix distros??? :confused:

WOL is enabled in the BIOS, when I send the magic packet - I see the network light flashing - but nothing happens. This thread here says that the broadcom driver in certain *nix distros doesnt support WOL... :(

If anyone has a solution - please advise! :D

Also - is anyone running it headless, with an X session, without a display attached? If so, how did you do it? I'd prefer not to have to make dummy VGA adapters again :(