HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. FlangeMonkey

FlangeMonkey Member

I know this has been covered a few times, but I just wanted to point out. The RAID on the Micro Server is soft-raid and only supports 0 and 1.

I just want to play devils advocate and mention in some cases it might be better to use Windows Dynamic Disks.

2. GooSE

GooSE New Member

1. Solaris and FreeBSD aren't Linux
    2. ZFS on Linux is working well these days, although it's not official
    3. RAM experiences bit flip all the time. Solar flares can cause it amongst other things. Most of the time its harmless, but why risk it? ECC is only a little more expensive, so why not give yourself peace of mind?

3. FlangeMonkey

FlangeMonkey Member

Thats probably my grammar and over-typing regarding Solaris. Thanks for the point out.

Personally I haven't had something fall-over with low amounts of memory for a long time, but I agree if the price is little difference, why not. However it was double (and 75% the cost of the N40L) for my 16GB between non-ECC and ECC unbuffered, saying that it was the unbuffered part that increased the price.

I seriously need to chill my waffle...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  4. wallen

wallen Member

5. Jarwedy

Jarwedy Member

I've successfully done the same on a N36L, Purchase same kit from Netplus (WA, and they have stock), funnily on their page they list its compatable with N36 to N54.

Running FreeNAS (5x3TB, M1015 IT mode, RDM) among other things(Ubuntu webserver, S2K12) on top of ESXi.

[​IMG]

6. onggie

onggie Member

Nice, good to see the ram is working out for everyone!

7. gea

gea Member

napp-it to go - download and run

I uploaded a first trial version of my newest 'napp-it to go' ZFS Server + OmniOS newest bloody for HP Microserver. (incl. LZ4 Compression- the new ZFS Highlight):

- download USB cloner, readme and USB Image (16 GB, can take some time)
    - Clone image to a fast 16 GB USB Stick

- Boot it - use it (ready to use with Web-UI)
    Download see: napp-it.org

8. negatron

negatron Member

My planned setup atm is to use the stock 250gb disk for OS (to be replaced with a small ssd when i find one)

run a 2tb 5400rpm (samsung spinpoint eco) for Movies/music for streaming - playback and a pair of 2tb 7200rpm (seagate barracuda) in RAID 1 for critical stuff like photo back ups.

Should I use the Microsever RAID or windows?

also, The hdd's mentioned are what I have off hand, thoguh it seems a waste to delegate the 7200s for backup duties they are the only matched pair I have.

is it possible to Raid 1 one 7200rpm with the 5400rpm one?

9. Blinky

Blinky Member

I'd say Windows, because you are only passing the soft raid drivers through to Windows anyway.

Sure, it's really only the partition size that matters / needs to match.

10. FlangeMonkey

FlangeMonkey Member

I agree with Blinky. Your in software anyway but with Windows if there are problems, I would think you'll have more success in recovery. But I'm unsure how good the soft raid is on the Microserver and how people have got on with failures.

By the sounds of it Blinky is referring to Windows, where the redundancy of Dynamic Disks can be done per partition, however you do need to make them Dynamic. With soft raid it will be done at the disk level.

It's a little more tricky to answer this question with reference to mixing disks with raid. But as a rule I never mix disks with RAID for many reasons. However at these speeds with RAID 1, it shouldn't be a problem but I'd never do this with cheap cards and with something reliable, from brands like HP and Intel, I still wouldn't do it. Just to clarify Dynamic disk's are a 'different kettle of fish' and you shouldn't have a problem.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  11. Blinky

Blinky Member

How else can you do software raid it in Windows ?
    It's really not an issue, for two reasons;
    All performance will be dictated by the slowest disk in the array, no matter the array type, even in multi array nested levels.

Secondly, it's only Raid 1 (copy on write), I don't think there is any benefits in read speeds between the two soft-raid options. It's writes that carry the performance hit.

12. FlangeMonkey

FlangeMonkey Member

Sorry Blinky I was only trying to clarify and mean no offence.

13. punjabiz

punjabiz Member

n40l or n54l

Do you guys think it's worth spending a little extra on n54l over n40l?

14. r4n

r4n Member

I bought an N40L a few weeks ago and I am frankly amazed by how much this little processor can handle.

At the moment it runs:
    N40L
    4x 2TB WD Greens (all single disk) running off the internal SATA controller
    An Adaptec 6405E SAS controller running to a 4x 2.5" drive bay in the optical bay slot
    2x 320GB 5400RPM laptop drives as my boot volume (holds VM's as well)
    1x 1TB 5400RPM 2.5" as a download disk
    A Low profile GT620 Graphics card (forgot which brand)

Currently it runs 2008 R2 standard and hyperV
    I have 3x Ubuntu 12.04 servers running, one for SAB/sickbeard, One database server (currently holds the xbmc SQL database, and one remote access server.
    I also have a 2008 R2 core server which runs DHCP/DNS

The host runs XBMC minimised and gets library updates from sickbeard/couch potato. I am pondering whether to offload this to a Raspberry pi, as this by far takes up the most processing power.

All my storage disks run on the host as well and speeds seem pretty darn good. I get gigabit speeds out of the WD greens, the download disk, which is bound to one of the ubuntu servers gets about 60MB/s without issue.

I think I might buy another one just as a lab machine running esxi!

15. Blinky

Blinky Member

Gee don't be sorry, it wasn't meant like that at all :)

The question was serious;
    [/How else apart from the manipulation of dynamic disks can you do software raid it in Windows ?/]

As we know, Raid1 isn't perfect even if it is simple. What it doesn't protect you from is DHS.
    (dickhead syndrome)

If you have been suffering from a case of DHS and deleted something you shouldn't have, Raid1 just doubles the fun. This is where an active file sync daemon is a better solution (among others).

Maybe the OP should have a look at Windows Sync instead.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/how-to-keep-your-information-in-sync

I don't use it personally, so you'll have to read up on any short comings it may have. But, it will do 'one way' sync so as to help stop the DHS from toasting your files.

16. Blinky

Blinky Member

What's the $$ difference you are considering ? If it's only $40 I would.

17. punjabiz

punjabiz Member

Approximately $70, my mate says its not worth it but I for some reason feel it would be beneficial to have a faster process. I would like to use it as homenas and htpc. Have been using qnap ts210 for few years now, its time.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  18. whowalks

whowalks Member

Hi Guys
    I have the a N36L server with 4G of ram, working as a media server utorrenter, and casual browser 24/7 at my house. Running win 7 64bit

Do you guys reckon its worth upgrading to the new N54L??

the little beast works quite well but does suffer the occasional BSOD when the kids get a bit to impatient with it. etc

19. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

BSOD is windows/software. It's got nothing to do with the actual server.

20. whowalks

whowalks Member

I do realize that but when the system comes under stain it can chuck a wobbly:Paranoid: