HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. fido666

fido666 Member

I'll probably experiment to see what suits my usage pattern best, doubt I have any need to have drives constantly spun up.

I don't recall that being there last time I played with UnRAID. It's a handy feature for frequently accessed but expendable data if you have a spare drive. Can the cache drive be an external?

2. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Yeah, X doesn't seem to start without a monitor attached. Anyway I ended up getting it working by following this link - the problem is that whilst VNC is running (somehow?!?!?!) - I can't X-forward programs via SSH...

If anyone is more clued on with Linux than me, can you please explain how I'm able to VNC in (with x11vnc as the VNC server) by following that method linked above yet not X-forward? When I try to X-forward I get some error about the .Xauthority file not being able to be written to/not found or something...

Cheers.

3. GoofyHSK

GoofyHSK Bracket Mastah

4. MetalPhreak

MetalPhreak Member

5. Hyram

Hyram Member

What puzzles me is why you would want to use a picoPSU in the first place, especially considering the built-in PSU is quiet enough yet specifically designed to handle the loads of multiple drive-motors and keep those loads up constantly when environmental temperatures can get hot enough to be hostile.

Given the choice of using something designed for the job, against an external PSU of questionable capabilities, keeping the factory job is a no-brainer decision in my book.

6. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

dude... http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=13238200&postcount=834

To allow configuration changes for a user (via rdp). If you dont do this, it will keep on saying you dont have permissions when you try to do system changes via the GUI.

cd ~
    vim .Xauthority
    sudo touch .Xauthority
    chmod 600 .Xauthority

7. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

You don't need X to be running to X-forward programs via SSH.

8. domlebo

domlebo Member

Sigh Megabuy still not responding to emails. Ordered 20 days ago now. Still no word.

9. rmuser

rmuser Member

Telephone?

10. Statts

Statts RIP

Surely you can't be serious? The common Internet Whinger only knows to use one communication medium then complain to all of the Web when they do not get an answer.

11. mikehol

mikehol Member

You did use the "-X" option, I hope? Remote shell has DISPLAY=localhost:10.0 or similar?
    And what is the error message?

I'm confused - why do you want a remote X server at all?
    And if you do, e.g. so gui apps will persist, why use x11vnc, which ties it to physical VGA hardware? I think you are going the wrong way.
    What is the problem you are trying to solve?

12. mobius.ro

mobius.ro Member

So I've got 8TB in my MicroServer, which i'll be using as a Media Storage Box (nothing to important)

Using Windows Server 2008 as the OS and 4 x WD 2TB "EARS"

Should i software RAID (if so which software) or leave it as is?

13. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

hi all,

any one had more luck getting one of these from the contact CordlezToaster posted?

i will call said contact myself however if you guys are not getting very far with it. i wont bother.

14. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

the deal is over, can no longer get it.

15. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

Has any one had any luck getting freenas 8 to see the micro servers 250gb hdd?
    im intending on having a play with it.

16. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Well basically, even though it is a "server" sometimes I want to do things on it (check e-mail, browse the net) - separate to any other computer (i.e. all the other computers in the house might be off).

So what I'd want to do, is turn on a monitor and have X/GDM already running with me at the standard Ubuntu desktop, etc.

On top of this - for when I'm not using it standalone - I want SSH access with the ability to X-forward, but also have VNC access since I'm not the best CLI guru and sometimes it's easier/quicker for me to edit things via GUI (i.e. gedit rather than pico) - or I might want to control a GUI program that is already running (JDownloader, etc).

The problem comes about however in that I may not always have a monitor plugged into it - so when it comes time to reboot - X wont start since there's no monitor attached (I believe this is something to do with kernel mode setting???).

What that means:

* No X/GDM.

and consequently...

* No VNC (since I run it via x11vnc, which from my experience allows me to have the standard GUI running [so long as X/GDM started] and VNC into it if necessary).

The problem of me not being able to X-forward SSH windows may be just related to setting the file permissions on that X authority file as mentioned by Soarer GT (thanks mate! :Pirate: ).

But yeah - the main issue is that I want X/GDM to always be running even if I reboot with no monitor attached - and I want that physical GUI access (without needing to log in, etc) along with VNC access (if I want to do the same stuff remotely).

I know it's all a bit weird - but basically I treat all my computers in my house as providing a specific function (e.g. fileserver, HTPC, gaming, download box, etc) but also able to provide general functionality if needed - e.g. internet banking, email checking, watching movies, playing music, etc.

If you can think of a good way to meet my needs - feel free to make app/setting suggestions!

17. ThunderbirdMoz

ThunderbirdMoz Member

I can't get xbmc live to run off a usb stick.

When I install from the usb stick to the hard drive it runs fine but when I boot off the usb stick, the screen just keeps flickering for 15 minutes+. :(

Has anyone got xbmc live persistent running off the usb on the HP microserver?

This is my boot\grub\menu.lst

default 1
    timeout 30
    foreground e3e3e3
    background 303030

title XBMCLive Persistent
    kernel /live/vmlinuz video=vesafb boot=live persistent xbmc=autostart,nodiskmount splash quiet loglevel=0 persistent quickreboot quickusbmodules notimezone noaccessibility noapparmor noaptcdrom noautologin noxautologin noconsolekeyboard nofastboot nognomepanel nohosts nokpersonalizer nolanguageselector nolocales nonetworking nopowermanagement noprogramcrashes nojockey nosudo noupdatenotifier nouser nopolkitconf noxautoconfig noxscreensaver nopreseed union=aufs
    initrd /live/initrd.img

title XBMCLive
    kernel /live/vmlinuz video=vesafb boot=live xbmc=autostart,nodiskmount splash quiet loglevel=0 quickreboot quickusbmodules notimezone noaccessibility noapparmor noaptcdrom noautologin noxautologin noconsolekeyboard nofastboot nognomepanel nohosts nokpersonalizer nolanguageselector nolocales nonetworking nopowermanagement noprogramcrashes nojockey nosudo noupdatenotifier nouser nopolkitconf noxautoconfig noxscreensaver nopreseed union=aufs
    initrd /live/initrd.img

title XBMCLive, SAFE MODE
    kernel /live/vmlinuz boot=live xbmc=nodiskmount quiet loglevel=0 quickreboot quickusbmodules notimezone noaccessibility noapparmor noaptcdrom noautologin noxautologin noconsolekeyboard nofastboot nognomepanel nohosts nokpersonalizer nolanguageselector nolocales nonetworking nopowermanagement noprogramcrashes nojockey nosudo noupdatenotifier nouser nopolkitconf noxautoconfig noxscreensaver nopreseed union=aufs
    initrd /live/initrd.img

title Install XBMCLive
    kernel /install/vmlinuz quiet preseed/file=/cdrom/install/preseed.cfg cdrom-detect/try-usb=true priority=critical
    initrd /install/initrd.gz

title Memory test (memtest86+)
    kernel /live/memtest

title Boot the First Hard Disk
    root (hd0)

chainloader +1

And I'm using a zotac nvidia 210 video card.

18. honam_gwj

honam_gwj Member

I'm running FreeBSD 8.2 so it may be similar.
    AHCI enabled in BIOS.
    No AHCI in FreeBSD - detects fine.
    AHCI enabled in FreeBSD - doesnt detect the stock 250gb anymore. Replaced it with a spare 500GB i had lying around and its all good.

19. DrNick

DrNick Member

Hey all..

Anyone have the issue with Speedfan not showing as many items as this? I am only seeing - Amb, core, FAN1, FAN2, FAN3, HD0 (as a %), CPU0 & 1 (as %), Freq and Uptime. Was wanting to get HDD temps as well.

Cheers!

S

20. danyell

danyell Member

@ThunderbirdMoz, i can't directly help with your enquiry other than suggesting you try giving openelec a go instead of the original xbmc. i had much better luck with that, it seems to work better and have better hardware support