HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. ThunderbirdMoz

ThunderbirdMoz Member

Did you do anything special to get Ubuntu to work on the HP? I installed the latest Ubuntu workstation to a usb via the iso and when I try to boot up it gets stuck on the ebios screen.

2. gokhan

gokhan New Member

Is it worth replacing existing NAS?

I need you guys idea.

Is it worth replacing my current NAS with this HP or really should I stay with my current NAS...

NAS I have Iomega X4 200d 8TB Raid 5

Thats my central storage currently.

I just don't want to waist my money something is doing the same thing for me thats all..

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  3. antenna

antenna Member

No, I don't think I did anything special at all. Ubuntu is a bit funny like that in my experience though, installing is very temperamental.
    I installed 10.04 server on the 250gb drive in the ODD bay at the weekend though. Since I have never had any intention of putting a storage drive there, keeping the OS on usb didn't really seem to be worthwhile. Happier with boot/install/upgrade times now.

4. danyell

danyell Member

your first problem is getting hold of one at the right price. if you've got that sorted...

if your current setup is working fine for you, there's no point in getting another box to essentially do the same thing. if however you see advantages in rolling your own nas, with your own choice of server software etc - or you see shortcomings in your current setup - then it's worth considering.

at $185-$250 these are a "no brainer" for most people who didn't have a nas or dedicated fileserver setup previously but can see the value in getting one going now. when looking at more expenditure than that, you've got to be keen, or caught up in the excitement, or determined it's the absolute best solution to your problem for the price. there are other alternatives such as mini-itx intel atom and amd fusion setups that can be had for similar prices to price-hiked For Sale or eBay microservers... that may even offer more versatility than these little boxes.

ultimately you need to forge your own path, because afterall, it's your money mate. if the already well-documented feedback from happy punters in this and the other thread aren't enough to get you over the line, why bother seeking more reassurance?

5. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

if you haven't decided by now, then you probably don't need it.

the reason for this HP is the flexibility in what it can do, not just a pure NAS.

also you can't buy these anymore, unless you plan to eBay one for 2x the cost of what we paid.

6. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Sorry for the late reply - yesterday's storm left me in the dark all night.

Yep, we can sort you out.

On an unrelated note, I successfully did a test of using the Microserver as a MythTV Backend box the other night - didn't blink once. HD playback was perfect as was SD & HD TV tuning via a USB tuner. CPU usage did not break 9% utilisation. 1080p MKV playback never broke 6% utilisation. :thumbup:

7. Jimbo123

Jimbo123 Member

That's a good sign,... any recommendations on versions of things to start with for a fresh implementation of MythTV ?

8. Blinky

Blinky Member

Further to this, if you plan on combining roles and decide to make your microserver run as a mythtv front-end as well as a back-end, we all know your going to need a different video card. Generally a Nvidia based one for VDPAU.

The problem you will run into is space, the rail on the side of the case for the motherboard tray is quite close. I have modded a Asus GT430 below to fit, although it is still very close. If you look closely you can see the black fan tip at the bottom.

Click to view full size!

What's involved is cutting out a section of heatsink at the bottom, roughly 10mm square for the full length of the heatsink. It goes without saying, that you need to remove the fan from the heatsink and heatsink from the video card first. :rolleyes:

Click to view full size!

On the off chance you are a VGA output person, the Asus GT430 comes with both a LP VGA (only) as well as a LP HDMI+DVI bracket. Unfortunatly the linking cable for the D-Sub connector is a tiny bit short to run the VGA LP bracket in the slot beside the card, just in case you were thinking of doing that.

- enjoy.

9. rmuser

rmuser Member

Fairly common knowledge in the *nix world. Sometimes also written as ~username

You can do this:

scp file host:~

ie. scp local file named file to your home dir on host

10. rmuser

rmuser Member

I have tried both a HIS ATI 5450 ($30) and a Zotac nVidia 210 ($39) under a few flavours of linux - Sci Linux 5.5, Ubuntu 10.10 and 11.4.

The 5450 with the proprietary (Catalyst) driver was ok but under XBMC the decoding was not being offloaded to the GPU resulting in ~ 40% CPU util. Same with other players like VLC and also, and this was the deal breaker, the video was tearing.

So I replaced it with the nVidia card. By this stage I was testing with Ubuntu 11.4. Anyway, took a bit of effort to get sound going on HDMI, needed a probe mask for the module loading but that was eventually all good. Tried with XBMC and...the video was still fucking tearing. Pretty sure that the decoding was being offloaded at this point but the picture was unsatisfactory... So googled a bit and found a option for xorg.conf that fixed the video so that it was awesome quality with no tearing and very smooth. But enabling this setting prevents use of the fancy desktop in Ubuntu 11.4 whatever that's called. Compiz? Anyway, seeing I will use this as a HTPC I am not that fussed about not having the fancy desktop effects so long as the video playback and sound are awesome which they now are. Oh and when playing 1080p I see < 5% CPU util.

I can't remember the option I needed to enable in xorg.conf but will post back later if anyone is interested.

11. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Well, the backend doesn't need much. I used Ubuntu Server 10.04.2 LTS in this case. Note that I built a backend only, not a combined BE/FE. The front end in this case was an ASRock ION 3D. Storage wise I setup four 1TB HDD's in software RAID5 using mdadm. The drive has a single LVM partition within which I've setup some logical volumes, 8GB for root, 4GB for swap (not that it really needs it), 2GB for /home and the rest of the volume went to /srv where all the MythTV data goes.

Blinky: nice modding, though I prefer to use the separate FE/BE approach (cos the cool-factor is greater)! :)

12. bester

bester Member

Ta for the post and pictures. A couple of my friends had to modify their ASUS GT430 in exactly the same fashion to get it to fit, so in my HP Microserver (just as an alternative) I instead went with an EVGA GT520 which while not as good as a GT430, it still has PureVideo HD "VP4", VDPAU "C" and also Dolby TrueHD und DTS-HD Master Audio Bitstreaming, and requires no modification to fit and also uses 40% less power than the GT430 to do the same thing.

Just be aware (if people go this route) that not all GT520's seem to be provided with low profile brackets (with my EVGA GT520 I actually used a low profile bracket off of an ASUS GT430 (which I had spare)). EVGA do sell the brackets separately (but only in USA?) but you can source generic ones off of ebay locally for about $7. Of course it's probably easier to find a manufacturer that includes the bracket and still uses a reference fan design (or one that fits without modification).

13. wasas

wasas Member

OK, Server arrived today. Am about to order New drives this afternoon.

Am looking at seagate 2tb's and hitachi 2tb's for 89$ each.
    Will be used with a mdadm software raid5 for storage, doubt there will ever be a need for uber quick transfers.

any advice? I am swinging towards the seagates as a matter of preference, and I understand they have a 5yr warranty.

14. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

personally (and biased) I'd go the all hitachi route.
    I love seagate hard drives I have heaps of 500gb drives, and would also buy and trust their 1tb range too. but in short, ive been burnt with the higher density models.

whereas Ive used heaps of hitachis of any capacity and personally found the reliability to be better.

15. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

ive had good success with samsung, and they have local support in australia.

16. fido666

fido666 Member

I'm going over Soarer's post as I want to correct the speed issue on the 5th SATA port. There's 2 files in the "Update BIOS 041" directory. Is it the "041 AHCI.ROM" file I need to write to the bootable USB stick?

17. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

taken from the site he mentions

18. fido666

fido666 Member

19. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

20. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

Updated my instructions post =)