1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Member

Hmm.. that's putting me off a bit :p
    Is there any noticable speed difference?

2. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

my N40L has it.

EDIT: a broken VGA connector wouldn't stop the motherboard working with a video card would it?

3. Stanza

Stanza Member

Dont know,

Tho when my old N36L board died (RED HEALTH LIGHT)... could see no reason why it died.

Was sat turned off for a few weeks...

Went to install a new OS to try some stuff out and BANG ....RED LIGHT:rolleyes:

Just got another N40L the other day and noticed the bracket.

I guess having it sag down could short some track out which could cause a problem. But I am no electronics whizz.:confused:

4. Ekimus

Ekimus Member

I have the same bracket on my N40L.

5. screwball

screwball Member

Looking at getting the N54L unit at the moment however thought I better ask some questions.

Can the unit utilise the Windows 2012 R2 Tiered Storage option as it is a built in feature and only requires JOBD? IE - 1 SSD Drive and 3x3TB drives?

From pictures of previous boards I can see a USB slot on the motherboard. Has anyone been able to boot from this to Windows 2012 R2 before so that the disks are not being touched? I gather this is possible with ESXi, however haven't read anything as yet that says.

I have previously used software to replicate ISCSI targets (Starwinds from memory) however has anyone loaded an ISCSI card in one of the slots?

Has it been better to also purchase a PCIe dual Gig-NIC Card for use with these units? I have read that the internal one isn't that great?

Lastly recommendations on RAM?

Many Thanks!

6. toxic_spill

toxic_spill Member

I have a Gen8 2020T. Only problem is that I have never done anything with servers before, other than ballsing up a Linux server after being unable to grok the updating side of things. It was a "salvage an old PC" type server in that instance.

Are there any good starter guides/introductions/etc out there?

I am mainly looking to run Plex (Samsung TV with native Plex app, so other media centre software is less appealing), torrents and possibly backups of 2 home PCs.

I don't need to run any VMs or anything. I'm not sure if I even really need a server-specific OS or just a home distro, whether that is Windows or *nix.

7. RX8Pilot

RX8Pilot Member

There are a few options - Linux distros like Ubuntu etc can run the Plex media server (but they may have trouble transcoding, or converting video, for iPads ec)

I went with Windows Home Server 2011 - it's the cheapest version of windows to buy, around $70 or so, and mine runs Plex and a few others. Your Gen8 will have more CPU power for video transcoding, but even my N36L microserver works fine for the Plex client built into my LG TV...

Cheers,
    Jeff

8. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

Thought about synology software? If you're not doing anything wierd, than a supported NAS solution should do you well. I believe the latest version also supports time machine for apple devices if you have MacBooks etc.

9. noober69

noober69 Member

I need help with a M1015 card. I have my server booting off a 2.5" intel 530 which is now connected via a new m1015. I have not been able to get into the bios of the card during boot, even though I get to the point where it asks me to crtl H. I crtl H and it just tries to boot but of course the only drives it finds are the 3.5" data drives.

Any tips on getting the m1015 sorted so I can tell it which drive to boot off? It does seem to see the drives in the JBOD part of the boot sequence.

STANZA: Yes you are correct, my n36l has no little black bracket, but the MB from a N54L does have it, so perhaps a weak point.

Thanks

10. young_einstein

young_einstein Member

Are you using a USB keyboard by chance?

Just a wild guess here, but I'm wondering if your system simply isn't detecting/enabling your keyboard that early in the boot sequence?

If you happen to have an old ps2 keyboard sitting around [+ a port on your MB], then that's the first thing that I'd be trying. Otherwise, you might need to use a particular USB port in order for the KB to work properly.

Lots of info if you just Google [something along the lines of] 'usb keyboard boot'

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  11. noober69

noober69 Member

thanks I will check, that does happen sometimes. I can seem to do ctrl Y into cli mode though so it seems the card is ok and maybe the keyboard, but i will check it out.

12. Stanza

Stanza Member

Microservers do not have enough ROM space for the M1015 BIOS to load into.

only way you can configure it is thru an OS 1st.

then set bios up to boot from the M1015 controller before the onboard controllers

13. noober69

noober69 Member

Ok thanks, I managed to get into the webbios and set the intel ssd to be bootable, but now it restarts after windows splash screen (whs2011). Reminds me of a ahci/ide issue in windows. My original OS disk was ahci, so maybe I need to check the settings in the webbios.

14. sjaeger172004

sjaeger172004 Member

Just wondering looking at getting a N40L how would I install synology software on it is synology software an O/S or just an application.

Also wondering would I be able to install synology software and steam OS?

What are the max no of HDD u can have in it as planing to boot from internal USB and what are the max size these can be?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  15. Q-w-e-r-t-y

Q-w-e-r-t-y Member

PSU is dead in my N36L. Any replacements available other than a PICO?

Or time to pony up for a Gen8?

16. Stanza

Stanza Member

17. sjaeger172004

sjaeger172004 Member

18. silenthunter

silenthunter Member

Yes, using a hypervisor. Start googling, you have a lot to learn...look at KVM or ESXi

19. oceang

oceang Member

Or get a N54L and just move your disks etc across. It really depends on whether you can fit everything in a Gen8 and need the extra grunt.

With the N54L, you wouldnt even need to re-install your OS.

20. noober69

noober69 Member

Struggling with M1015 at the moment. I have disconnected all drives from it, so everything is going ok. It is picked up in bios, but will not go to webbios with ctrl H no matter what usb port I use for keyboard.

I tried to find drivers and manager from LSI for whs2011, but nothing worked. Any ideas what I need to do next now that it is physically installed but not seen in whs2011? No drive I connect to it is seen.

Thanks