HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

Tags:
  1. toliman

toliman Member

there's still the 8gb ECC units.
    Kingston KVR13E9-8I 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC Unbuffered CL9 DIMM,
    http://staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=KVR13E9+8gb&spos=1

and the Kingston KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G pairs.

i think the problem tends to be the USD exchange rates and low stock volume.

a general search on SI, http://staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=16gb+ecc+-"non-ecc"+-reg+-non+-kit&spos=1 doesnt' show much in single 16gb options. also doesn't show the corsair options i've seen on other N40L/N54L builds when searching.

i don't think i'd like to give a N54L to a relative, my uncle might be an option, he's more of a movie collector, or was. getting him to rip bluray ISOs might be a challenge. and selling him on the ideals of using Plex/xbmc to manage movies, but it might help him out if there was a catalog on screen. IDK.

i'd say that XPenology is one of the less frequent options. FreeNAS handles most things well, including plugins.

if you want a bit more performance, well, there's NAS4Free, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, or ESXi which allows for different options and sometimes, more compatible hardware.
    or windows, there's always windows.

several. you could also go for the 8 drive option. http://images.wikia.com/n40l/images/1/1b/MyN54L.png
    as for the raid card, the http://n40l.wikia.com/wiki/Expansion_Cards link shows the syba 4 port is good,

there's also a different model on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/IO-Crest-Profile-Bracket-SI-PEX40064/dp/B00AZ9T3OU/ which seems to be the sata 3 version of the syba PEX 40008

if in doubt, the Highpoint RocketRaid 620/640 "L" seems like a good standby, and is compatible. the goal might be to find an OEM that's cheaper than $80/$160, and has a half-length PCIe card, which is the challenge.

if you want a neater cable, the 2710/2720 mini-SAS for $200 is a good option.
    [​IMG]
    from http://homeservershow.com/hp-proliant-n54l-g7-microserver-first-look.html

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  2. pksw

pksw Member

Could someone please post a link to a card that will support USB3. I have a N54 with no expansion cards in it, running windows 7. Some of the older links to ebay are dead, and I'm no expert when it comes to knowing exactly which card will fit. The older posts suggest a ?renasis chipset, not sure if that's what I need.

Sorry if already answered, but I did try to search this mammoth thread.

3. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

Nah, he won't be ripping anything.

I'll just update it every now and then for him.

It'll purely be sitting somewhere in the house, and Dad watches through the NUC that I also got loaded with XBMC - it's a simple, MOVIES, KIDS (to keep my kids entertained when they are over :D) and TV SHOWS the way I set the menu up :)

I quickly installed XPenology on the N40L to muck around with.

It definitely "looks good" compared to the FreeNAS that I'm used to.

I also like the fact that you can expand your array just by adding disks which I don't believe FreeNAS can do.

My biggest worry about XPenology is it's not really an "official" release is it? It's essentially a couple of smart dudes porting over the synology software to work with the microserver correct?

Being that these boxes aren't doing anything critical (they are purely for storing media) - I'm not too fussed about performance, as long as I can max out my Gigabit network when transferring files is all I'm really worried about.

I have ESX installed on 2 other N40L's as my lab where I have a VM guest doing the Usenet duties, file movement and centralised SQL server for XBMC

Thanks for this.

I don't plan on doing an 8 drive microserver anytime soon, 6 is the max I'd go :D

I've purchased the Crest controller from Amazon and will see how it goes. Hopefully it can be seen by FreeNAS and/or XPenology - otherwise it will be 45 down the drain that could have gone to an IBM M1015 which I know works and supports disks larger than 2TB.

Yeah I've got an IBM M1015 and BR10i installed on my current N40L's and they've been great, I do want to change the BR10i as that can only take 2TB max - but I'm not planning on updating that particular NAS anytime soon, I'm looking at upgrading the one with the M1015 as it only has 6x 1TB's.

I was really hoping for a "cheaper" solution than using mini-SAS ones as I only really need 1 extra port since I just refuse to use the e-Sata one and the M1015 will cost me about 150 for the card and mini-sas to sata fan out cable.

Thanks a lot for your help toliman.

Let's see what happens with this card from amazon and I'll report back in a couple of weeks

4. davros123

davros123 Member

Just joined the club (well sort of).

After trying to get a second hand one, I ran out of runway for a fathers day present so bought a 54L with 8GB ECC and 3 x Toshiba 3TB's from UMart for for my dad. Should arrive in the next few days.

I will install Xpenology (and plex) running from a USB for him and it should do the job nicely. Happy days.

MOOOOAR toys!

5. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

Does this box have enough grunt for plex to do the transcoding?

6. Muddy Funster

Muddy Funster Member

It's fine with 1 stream

7. wild

wild Member

Decided it's time to upgrade the drives and other bits in my trusty old N36L. I've had it since 2011, and it's been happily running this hardware since 2012:

2 x 3Tb Seagate drives
    1 x 1.5Tb Seagate drive
    1 x 1Tb Hitachi drive
    1 x 160Gb 2.5" Toshiba OS drive, held in the 5.25" bay with double sided tape

It's also had a low profile Radeon 6450 card for use with XBMC.

Anyway, I don't use it much for XBMC anymore, and I have a spare Raspberry Pi which I can use for that, so it's time to do some serious RAID. I considered upgrading to the Gen8 Microserver, but the N36L is honestly fast enough for what I use it for, and I don't like that the Gen8 sacrificed the 5.25" bay for a slim optical drive.

So I ordered another 3 x 3Tb drives, which will replace the 1 and 1.5Tb drives, along with a Highpoint RocketRAID 2720 card, and a Silverstone drive cage for the 5.25" bay which will fit a single 3.5" drive (one of the new 3Tb drives) along with 2 x 2.5" drives (the 160Gb, plus a 500Gb I have lying around). All that gear should be here tomorrow, but in the meantime I decided to wire up a bunch of LEDs for the activity/failure headers on the Highpoint card. Failure LEDs will be handy, and activity just because I'm a sucker for blinking lights :lol:

After digging around a bit, it seems that the Highpoint card doesn't output ~3V on its LED headers like a normal motherboard LED header. Instead, it's normally around 3.3V with no activity or failure, and drops to 0V (ground) to indicate activity. So what I've done is wire up the LEDs with all anodes connected to 5 volts via appropriate current/voltage limiting resistors, and cathodes connected to the pins on the Highpoint card. From what I've read elsewhere this should work just fine. :thumbup:

Pics of the mess:

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Excuse all the hot glue on the back of the drive bay cover. After trying to re-fit it, I found it would not sit flush or clip in properly. This looks messy but at least the cover is mostly flush and won't go anywhere. Thankfully I don't plan on installing an optical drive anytime soon :lol:

Next step is installing the drives and card and trying to migrate all my data!

8. SLIMaxPower

SLIMaxPower Member

9. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

Are there people out there with multiple XPenology's on the network?

I've now installed XPenology on 2 N40's and I've noticed a couple of things:

- The serial number is exactly the same for both instances, is this normal? FWIW the serial is B3J4N01003 (I'd imagine everyone on Nanoboot 5031 would have the same serial number also?

- I can't for the life of me work out why the 1TB drive is not being seen as the 5th drive in DSM5, do all drives need to be the same size? There's currently 4x 2TB's and a 1TB, FreeNAS sees it, but DSM can't, any ideas? Hacked BIOS has been installed for the 5th sata port to be full speed.

There were a few other things that I seem to have forgotten lol :)

Edit

Found the answer for both issues I had

- Re: serial number.

For my version of XPenology (Nanoboot 5031, DSM 4493 Update 3), I changed the file /volumeUSB1/usbshare/boot/grub/menu_nano.lst via Folder Station within DSM.

I'm still not sure what the need for different serial numbers are, do they have any baring on updates?

- Re: 5th disk

Updated my BIOS to the latest hacked 041100113.ROM, and did the following in the BIOS

In Southbridge Configuration> SB SATA Configuration

OnChip SATA Channel - Enabled
    OnChip IDE Type - IDE
    SATA IDE Combined Mode = Disabled
    SATA EPS on all PORT = Enabled
    SATA Power on all PORT = Enabled

In Advanced> IDE Configuration, Embedded SATA 3.0Gbps Link Rate

Apparently this makes the microserver hot swappable too?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  10. wild

wild Member

The new bits and pieces arrived today! Stripped the server down to bare metal and took the opportunity to get the dust out of all the crevices while I was at it. Silverstone drive cage now sits neatly in the 5.25" bay with 3 drives in it connected to port 2 and the Microserver's SAS drive cage connected to port 1.

Activity LEDs work great, except for the failure ones glowing slightly when they're off. Will grab a small resistor to stick on the 5 volt supply tomorrow in order to drop the voltage a little.

Currently building the RAID 5 array with 3 drives, it's been going for 4 hours now and is at 80%. I hate to think how long it's going to take to expand to 5 drives when I've shifted the data across! Thank god I've got it on a UPS. :lol:

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

11. Muddy Funster

Muddy Funster Member

You need to edit the nanoboot inf to change the serial, just google change xpenology serial, should do it. There is a tutorial at xpenology.com, but in bed, so you can find it not sure about the 5th drive, haven't tested yet on my n36 or 40

12. Stanza

Stanza Member

enable SHH and log into box as root

use vi and edit /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf

change following Sections

Section
    # service limitations
    maxdisks="6" <<<<<<<<<<from 12 to 6

Section
    #DSM Small Update URL
    esataportcfg="0x10" (note see below)
    usbportcfg="0xfc0" (note see below)
    internalportcfg="0x2f" (note see below)
    eth0_wol_options="g" <<<< from "d" to "g"
    eth1_wol_options="g" <<<< from "d" to "g"
    eth2_wol_options="g" <<<< from "d" to "g"
    eth3_wol_options="g" <<<< from "d" to "g"
    wol_enabled_options="" <<<<from "g" to ""

for 5 SATA ports and one E-SATA Port use
    esataportcfg="0x10"
    usbportcfg="0xfc0"
    internalportcfg="0x2f"

for all 6 ports to look like they are internal (no E-SATA) use
    internalportcfg="0x3f"
    esataportcfg="0x00000"
    usbportcfg="0x1fc0"

for 4 internal ports + E-SATA + Motherboard port looped out back as a 2nd E-SATA use
    internalportcfg="0x1e"
    esataportcfg="0x21"
    usbportcfg="0x1fc0"

To change Serial number's

SSH in

use vi to open and edit syslinux.cfg file in /volumeUSB1/usbshare/something/something

change all mentions of sn=B3J4N01003 to something else eg B3J4N55333

also change all mentions of netif_num=4 to reflect the amount of network ports you have

save and reboot

13. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

Wow, thanks for this, although my VI skills suck :)

Do you know if there's any benefit for different serial numbers?

14. gmphoto

gmphoto Member

Also to reflect the MAC address of your box edit the /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg file to the MAC address of the N36L LAN port (mac1=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx). The MAC address is displayed somewhere in the BIOS menu or the boot messages - can't remember which.

This way you won't have conflicts between multiple Xpenology boxes and WOL "should" work.

15. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

Where is this syslinux.cfg file?

Excuse the hostname - I have a Marvel theme going on at home for my NAS :D

Code:
    THOR> pwd
    /volumeUSB1/usbshare/boot
    THOR> ls -lat
    drwxrwxrwx    2 admin    users         1536 Mar 15 00:15 grub
    drwxrwxrwx    3 admin    users          512 Mar  3 02:18 .
    drwxrwxrwx    4 admin    users          512 Jan  1  1970 ..
    THOR> cd grub
    THOR> ls -alt
    -rwxrwxrwx    1 admin    users          247 Jun 11 17:32 menu_nano.lst
    -rwxrwxrwx    1 admin    users          457 Jun 11 17:31 menu_install.lst
    -rwxrwxrwx    1 admin    users          364 Jun 11 17:30 menu_debug.lst
    -rwxrwxrwx    1 admin    users          261 Jun  4 16:47 menu.lst
    drwxrwxrwx    2 admin    users         1536 Mar 15 00:15 .
    drwxrwxrwx    3 admin    users          512 Mar  3 02:18 ..
    -rwxrwxrwx    1 admin    users         7956 Mar  3 02:18 fat_stage1_5
    -rwxrwxrwx    1 admin    users         7208 Mar  3 02:18 iso9660_stage1_5
    -rwxrwxrwx    1 admin    users          512 Mar  3 02:18 stage1
    -rwxrwxrwx    1 admin    users       108000 Mar  3 02:18 stage2
    THOR>
    Would it matter if it's Nanoboot instead of Gnoboot?

I found Nanoboot is using DSM 4493 and Gnoboot is only 4458 (don't really know if it matters tbh)

16. Stanza

Stanza Member

Shouldn't have to do MAC address for nanoboot.... It will automagically find and use the real MAC by itself.

I believe gnoboot might also do this.

Trantors versions tho will need MAC addresses put in correctly.

17. Muddy Funster

Muddy Funster Member

Stanza, thank you for all the help you have been giving regarding XPenology, I'm only a tinkerer, and not very adept at sharing knowledge, so I'm glad we have someone with much more experience hanging out and willing to share.

18. gmphoto

gmphoto Member

I stand corrected. I must have used Trantors version.

My bad.

Still, works a treat. Loving Xpenology. Just works.

19. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

I just did this and pretty much went to plan, except for one disk being "Not Initialized" and degrading the array. So I've kicked off a repair and it's now rebuilding.

20. Rezin

Rezin Member

XPEnology is balls. Go a real OS.