1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. joey.w

joey.w Member

Yup from what I read, it should work :)

PM'd you

2. joey.w

joey.w Member

Got the key in the mail today. All good! Thanks again :D

3. MiloVasic

MiloVasic Member

Any one know how to expand an SHR array from SSH?

I fixed my update issue but still cant fix the expand array issue...
    Some leads online lead to guides that get side tracked and hard to follow.

4. cam99

cam99 Member

I am looking to get a Gen8 micro server to use for a lab environment with VMware ESXi and wanted to know if anyone had done it?

I have found an article saying a Xenon upgrade is possible, this seems to be pushing the passive heat sink further than is practical.

Does anyone have some experience they would like to share?

Thanks

5. wild

wild Member

I assume you mean Xeon ;)

You just need the right model with a low TDP. E3-1230 (4 cores with HT @ 3.3GHz) seems like the way to go according to this: https://b3n.org/installed-xeon-e3-1230v2-in-gen8-hp-microserver/

6. brodequin

brodequin Member

if you are still struggling to expand your array this is how i fixed my problem

http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3339&start=30

7. scotty03

scotty03 Member

Possible fried network adapter?

Hi all,

I've had my N36L running for about 2 years now. It's nothing special, just had 4xHDD, no raid, 8 gb of ram, and runs latest Ubuntu.

It mostly operates as a media server, so I barely touch it, apart from the occasional remote in to run updates.

Recently, I think we had a power surge as my phone line died, my raspberry pi is dead and it appears the network adapter on my N36L is fried. No networks show up in Ubuntu, and the two green lights on the port are always on, even when no cables are disconnected.

I never really look at the back of it, so I'm not sure if the ethernet port LEDs are always on, or only when connected. So to confirm it's definitely a hardware issue, can someone check theirs for me?

Cheers,
    Scott

8. broccoli

broccoli Member

I have an N40L, not a 36L, so not sure whether there were any changes, but I looked at mine. There are 2 lights, one solid, one flickering. Both go out when you remove the ethernet cable, so only on when connected.

9. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

Network cards typically have two lights.
    One to indicate connection and one to indicate traffic flow.
    Neither of them should be on with no cable plugged in.

10. scotty03

scotty03 Member

Dodgy network adaptor.

11. Blinky

Blinky Member

Why not just put a NIC card in it?

12. scotty03

scotty03 Member

Mostly laziness. But that's probably the better option.

13. Blinky

Blinky Member

14. Skramit

Skramit Member

HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in ...

Hi gang. Finally bought my first HP N54L after much thought. $268 delivered too good to pass up.

I want to use it for torrents, media and backup.

Couple of questions.

- What HDDs to buy? WD Green? Red? Seagate? I honestly don't care about performance as I'll only be streaming media to my tv and using it for backups. So will cheaper greens do the trick say 2 x 4tb? What's the diff between green and red? I don't plan to raid them.

- What OS?? Can freenas handle torrents? Or would I be better off with Ubuntu or even WHS? I'm a Linux rookie so simplicity is key here...

- Is 2GB ram enough for these basic tasks?

Thanks lads.

15. millsy

millsy Member

RAM really depends on OS/storage method you use.
    E,g, I used ubuntu server and ZFS for a 5x3tb drive array and found I needed about 10gb ram to work nicely.

16. trash

trash Member

I have a N36L that I run xpenology on it with 4GB RAM. I am running Segate drives that I pulled from external enclosures - did this due to low price, otherwise I would have gone with HGST NAS drives.

Main difference between Green and Red are red are 'designed' to be used in a SOHO server role.

Can't comment on OS - personal choice. Have a look an xpenology - there are a couple of steps involved, but nothing difficult. Otherwise NAS4FREE or something similar.

Is 2GB enough? Probably just scrapes in if you were to use WHS. Linux type OS would be fine. I have 4GB and xpenology uses about 120MB of that and the rest is usually cache.

Not advocating xpenology - it is just that I use it and can mainly only comment about using it.

17. uncyspam

uncyspam Member

+1 for XPenology here. I have an n54l with 4x3tb green drives has been running 24x7 for over 2 years without missing a beat.
    I'd add some ram if you can afford it, especially if you plan on running plex.

18. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

I added 4Tb Reds to mine, upped the RAM to 16Gb.

I installed ESXi (which is free from Vmware) and then setup a 2012 virtual Server.

I also had a Ubuntu server for a bit, but my linux skills suck :) so I moved the job it was doing to the windows server

I would say go with a OS you comfortable with, and will do the job you need

19. manphil

manphil Member

have had a N40L now for a couple of years.
    just recently added a N54L

The N40L has been running Windows Home Server 2011 with 8Gig.
    The N54L is running XPenology with 4 Gig.

Both run without memory issues ..XPenology would run with 2Gig easily from what I see in usage.

Xpenology runs 24x7 for torrents and media server to the house.
    WHS 2011 only boots when a client PC on the network starts up, is for PC backups and media backup ..also has an external RAID box for 3rd backup copy.

After a few failures with WD green over the years (1, 1.5 and 2TB )..gradually moved to exclusive WD Reds (2 & 3 TB)..with the one Seagate server HD.
    So far no REDS have failed me ..but probably have not had them as long as the earlier WD Greens.

WHS 2011 running MS software RAID5 dynamic disk 3x3TB reds....external box uses JMicron RAID 5 (Vantec NST-640S3R-BK NexStar HX4R) 4x3TB reds

XPenology running Synology Hybrid RAID (4x2TB reds + Seagate 2TB) ...allows dynamic expansion.

Luckily each time I have had a drive failure (or I do something stupid!) ..the redundancy of RAID 5 has got me out of trouble each time. (each of the above RAID managements have been tested ..doh!..successfully)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  20. DARKKRAKEN

DARKKRAKEN Member

The Microserver Gen8 is only £120 after cashback in the UK right now so maybe soon you will see a decent pricedrop in Australia as well.