HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

Tags:
  1. connico

connico Member

damn, thanks for checking!!

2. g12345567

g12345567 Member

Need to replace the PCIe video card in a N36L. Currently a GT520 1gb.

Whats the best value card to get these days that will fit into the case for use with a HTPC media player setup.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  3. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

The answer was yes, btw.

4. resonance

resonance Member

I've been using an Odroid C2 (Raspberry Pi-esque SoC) as a Kodi media player. It does x265 happily, running OpenElec. I have a FreeBSD server with zfs drives and the Kodi connects to it via nfs which is much faster than samba. Maybe you guys could do something like that with the HP boxes.

It doesn't do hardware accel vp9 though, which is better then x265 in some ways. But that's ok.

I'm waiting for the Gen8 to go on sale to the 200-250 mark then I'll get one and put freebsd on that. People have had issues with that though. The hardware will be an upgrade on what I have now.

5. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

HP ML10 V2 goes for $160 from time to time
    warehouse1 and shoppingexpress seems to be the best price for them ....

6. resonance

resonance Member

Yeah, that price is hard to beat for what you get! I was really interested in a Bitfenix ITX case someone has in the trading forums atm, with psu would be ~$140. But then I'd have to add $100 mobo + $100 cpu + RAM. ITX stuff ain't cheap. All up it's better to go a Gen8 for $250-300 if/when they are on sale next. Occasionally ebay do 20% off too. warehouse1 are the ones who have had the Gen8 for $239 in the past. Just need to keep an eye on ozbargain.

7. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

dont forget the G8 is a bastard to squeeze extra drives in and the ML10 has 6 sata ports stock

small is good, ML10 vs G8
    H x W x D
    ml10 - 368 x 175 x 475
    G8 - 232 x 230 x 245
    not a massive difference ...
    dont get me wrong, love my G8 :thumbup: its a workhorse

8. -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

I've got an N54L that I've literally had sitting around for a good 3+ years doing nothing, which I'm finally going to build now.

I've already got 16GB of ECC RAM installed and updated the BIOS to the latest (?) version - 2013.10.01 (A).

I currently have it running Windows Server 2012 R2 without any noticeable issues, but may ultimately update this to Windows Server 2016.

I've purchased 4 x 10TB Ironwolf drives and plan on setting them up in RAID6 for about 18TB of storage and a comfortable amount of redundancy.

I'm just wondering, what would be my best options for RAID? Which RAID card would provide me with the best setup and value for money?

I believe the on-board RAID only allows for RAID0 or RAID1, so this wouldn't be suitable.

I'm also aware that I could go with a software RAID setup using something like Linux + MDADM or FreeNAS + ZFS, but at least least for the moment I'd like to have the server running Windows Server so I can actually use it for other things.

To my knowledge, the best thing I can get could would be one of the HP Smart Array Controllers? Would anyone have any recommendations on a specific model number?

I'm guessing due to the hardware being rather old now, it would be a waste of time going for one of the newer HP Smart Array Conntrollers - so what would be the most suitable? A P410? (I believe I need some sort of HP Smart Array Advanced Pack (SAAP) firmware to do RAID6?)

If I were to purchase a RAID card capable of SATAIII (6Gbit/s) would this allow me to essentially update the transfer speed of the SATA ports built-in to the server?

I vaguely remember people using LSI/RocketRaid cards, but from memory this was because at the time the HP Smart Array stuff costed significantly more - but if one of these would be better, happy to go with one.

FYI - I'm happy with spending up to about $200ish on the card.

Any recommendations much appreciated, I've waited long enough to build this thing - so hoping to have it all together very soon. :)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  9. Mace

Mace Member

Not knowing much about RAID 6 I googled it.
    http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/tip/RAID-6-vs-RAID-10
    RAID 6 with 4 drives is not much advantage over RAID 10 with 4 drives and would require a dedicated card.
    Your N54L will do RAID 1 or RAID 0
    But according to Post 7 here will not like RAID 10.
    http://www.edugeek.net/forums/hardw...r-have-hardware-software-raid.html#post775861
    Anybody done RAID 10 with success?

My personal setup I have mentioned earlier, I did away with RAID and just have two 8TB drives using scheduled SyncToy overnight. This pretty much only stores media so nothing mission critical or very speed heavy on the network. In the event of failure, I can remove the drives and they will just work in Windows. No rebuilding of a RAID.

Have fun with it. I like the unit a lot.

10. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Have any of you guys had problems with the Xeon Microservers and WD Gold drives?

They are the only hardware different from the factory.

I'm onto my SECOND one, which is failing with the same "User Initiated NMI Switch" error, causing the machine to crash out after 3-5 hours (even without an OS on it, and when running Insight Diagnostics).

First one HP agreed the motherboard was probably the issue. It was replaced with another motherboard, and the REPLACEMENT motherboard was buggered as well (was bios looping and temp sensor was faulty).

I got it deemed a DOA and replaced with a new unit with similar serial number (suspected same batch).

This one has exactly the same issue.

BIOS on defaults, BIOS reset as well, left BOG standard, taking out, hard drives installed, and booted into Intelligent Provisioning. Run the Insight Diagnostics, leave overnight, and in the morning it's bombed out again with "User Initiated NMI Switch".

It's doing my head in.

I've narrowed it down to testing hard drives, but cannot see how they could trigger this problem.

Anyone else had similar issues, or using WD Gold/RE drives with a Xeon Microserver without problems?

11. oceang

oceang Member

Not sure what your use case is.

My reaction if a home user is to ask a couple of questions.

What is your availability requirement? Do you have your offsite requirements covered?

For most home users RAID is not necessary. Does not provide a backup just covers media failure.

If I had 4 x 10TB drives. I would look at leaving them unraided and duplicating the critical directories (read unreplaceable and must keep) offsite.

In my case, I use WS 2016 Essentials (was 2012 R2 Essentials) and Stablebit Drivepool. I duplicate a small number of directories using Drivepool and then use a mixture of Crashplan and Robocopy to offsite the rest of my data artifacts. In addition, I backup the system environment, including my client backups and take that backup offsite every 4 weeks or so.

If I had 40TB of raw disk, I would not use it the way you are proposing.

BTW, I had a N54L, now ML10V2.

12. domsmith

domsmith Member

Get a LSI SAS 9211-8i

Then disconnect the SAS connector that's connecting the current 4 drives and attach it to the card instead of the motherboard.

Then you can buy a separate SAS to 4 SATA cables and plug an additional two drives in the top of the case

You will also need a power splitter to power the additional hard drives. You will need to purchase a mounting kit like the one I used https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nexus-Antivibration-HDD-Mounting-Kit/dp/B001AZHS04

I am not sure about the RAID abilities of the card but if you flash the card to IT bios version 18 or above then it should function quite nicely with ZFS RAIDZ2

All drives will be seen as sata drives and if you use freenas you can use the internal usb port to install freenas on.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  13. wild

wild Member

I had an almost identical setup to this, but used a HighPoint RocketRAID 2720SGL card. Was using Windows rather than FreeNAS though, not sure what Highpoint's FreeBSD compatibility is like.

14. htpcfan

htpcfan Member

installed a PCI-E USB 3.0 card last week (cost me $20 from MSY, has an NEC chipset) - quite a bit of fiddling around making a molex power cable extender to go from the CDROM area down to the PCI-E card but it just worked with Xpenology with no issues.

Now my friends who like to give me USB 3 HDDs can grab their newest linux ISOs a lot quicker.

15. The Mafia

The Mafia Member

Hey mate. I have the LSI 8i card and the HP clone. For some reason my test server won't bott with the HP card. The LSI card boots *sometimes* and when it does all network ports are no longer detected.

Once I got it up and running, (used a USB 3 network adapter) I installed 4x 3TB hard disks, and 2x 120gig Intel 330 SSDs, and a single random 120gig to boot off using the onboard single SATA connector.

Now I'm not sure if the Server itself has shit itself, or it's the card because when I started the server bare with no cards it go stuck in a reboot loop. After it preposted it would reboot.

Once I got it running and booting with the LSI card I installed Server2016 and set up tiered storage spaces via powershell.

Now we all know windows software parity is absolute shit. (200meg /sec reads, 30meg/sec writes)

With tiered storage (SSD mirror, and HDD parity), I was getting 800-1100meg/sec Reads, and 500meg/sec writes. It was as fast as hell.

Then I formatted the boot drive and installed windows 10. It detected the existing storage space and worked 100%.

Then I deleted the storage space, and recreated it in Windows 10 using the same powershell commands again, and it works exactly the same.

I'm just in the process of working out how I can make windows send me an email when a disk fails. I'm thinking a powershell command that runs every 30mins and if it returns a bad value to send an email.

I'll also get it to send me a report once per week just for shits and giggles.

So yes, Windows 10 supports tiered storage.

Also, how many of you are using the HP provisioning to set up windows 10 if you are using it as the OS? It works fine and installs all drivers thinking you are setting up server 2016.

You can also download and run the HP smart update manager within windows and update all of your firmware and drivers automatically.

If anyone is interested in the powershell commands let me know. I could do with some help understanding a few of them.

One more thing, to make the tiered storage spaces almost bullet proof, there are a couple of extras you can do.

1. Buy 2x SSDs with capacitors. Intel lists all of theirs that do and the Intel 320 SSD is a cheap one that does. I'm going to use 2x 240gig Skull trail SSDs. If you lose power, the SSDs have enough capacitor to flush their caches to flash.

2. Tiered storage spaces supports REFS. It's pretty tough. Recovers from almost anything so another bonus.

Just my experiences, if you have any input, I would love to hear it.

16. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Can anyone tell me if the newer XEON Microservers (branded as HPE) require HP Enterprise drives?

Having an issue with one, and I think HP are trying to tell me (without telling me) that they now require HPE drives.

17. resonance

resonance Member

Just ordered a HP Gen8 G1610T for $263 from Warehouse 1 ebay site. They have 20% off at the moment using code C20TEK. Thought I'd share the love. :)

18. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

better grab a few 10TB hdd to go with it :)
    thanks for the share :thumbup:

19. resonance

resonance Member

20. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member