HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Anyone know whats happen with the prices of the Microservers. I was telling my boss how its such a good option for a media server and then checked the prices :O

2. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Hmm, anywhere to source g7 microserver motherboards? Mine just died.

3. hollstar

hollstar Member

There is limited stock with wholesalers at the moment for the Gen 8 & 10. Megabuy have the N36L listed as a special order item but I'd be interested to know where they'd source it from?
    The Gen 7 is available on eBay with a few random sellers offering it for a fair price...

4. hollstar

hollstar Member

So let me provide you with an update on a Microserver Gen 10. It's being deemed DOA!

HP have replaced the board three times (same revision) and we've tested it against three different BIOS updates; ZA10A280 (25/5/2017), ZA10A290 (5/6/2017) and ZA10A320 (20/9/2017). Essentially if you switch from UEFI Boot Mode to Legacy, the machine dies. It appears to be responsive for a period of time (like the Num Lock working until eventually locking up) but you see nothing on screen. You can recover it by using the one and only jumper on the board to reset the CMOS which reverts to UEFI boot mode. All of the SATA drives appear, but you cannot select them unless they support UEFI... but there is a catch.

The on site technician had several different USB UEFI based drives with HP images they use for diagnostics, none of those worked on the Gen 10. When initially configuring the unit, I myself had issued with USB UEFI booting which was part of the reason I opted for legacy booting - you got more option/information during POST, RAID was easier to work with if you didn't use Linux and MDADM (which I was anyway) and I felt it was just easier to recover if something happened down the line.

Whilst the technician was on site, it randomly decided to start working - but it would on occasions take 90 seconds to boot, at other times, three, four or five minutes. During this entire time, you would see nothing on screen until Linux started it usual boot process. When the machine worked correctly, in legacy boot mode, you would see all the normal BIOS/POST data you'd expect. To say this thing has issues would be an understatement. The third board from a temperature perspective was the best yet with numbers being sub 35 degrees at idle.

I've never had a HP Proliant server board die within two weeks, let alone have one misbehave as badly as this. Granted, its a Microserver, but I expect more from HP!
    I'm now in the process of replacing it with a Gen 8...

5. miicah

miicah Member

I have had dud Dell laptops, but 99% of them are great. DOAs/Lemons happen.

6. scotty03

scotty03 Member

Hi, I've got an N36L that is still working fine but unfortunately the VGA port is stuffed after being bent upwards. Is there any hope in getting a new motherboard? Or can anyone recommend anyway on the central coast NSW that might be able to perform some surface mount soldering wizadry?

7. Azrael

Azrael Member

Anyone use an AC wireless card with their N54L?

The place we have moved to has the server away from the only phone line, so the study is on Ethernet, while the connection to the rest of the house is off the WDS linked routers. Now the WDS fails regularly enough and is 802.11n only. Hence I’m thinking it might be worth it to get some AC cards for the study, including the Microserver.

It’s currently running OMV so we are yet to see what the situation there is too.

8. toxic_spill

toxic_spill Member

After a scheduled power outage where I didn't think to shutdown my server beforehand, the system fan on my Gen8 has died.

Given the volume of the thread, I haven't trawled back through every post. Is there an easy option for replacing the stock fan, given HP's choice of a proprietary fan pin?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  9. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

10. toxic_spill

toxic_spill Member

I saw that one, unfortunately the Gen8 fan pin configuration is even worse, with a six pin header and connector. I may be able to enlist a mate to help me rig up some wiring to get a conventional fan to work.

11. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

12. encode

encode Member

It's not as straight forward as a simple connector change. I replaced the fan in my gen8 a few years back, and I'm pretty sure I followed the steps in this article. That is, make sure you short some of the pins to ground in order to trick the system into thinking it can control the speed still.

Going through my old emails, I used a Delta fan AFB1212SH as the replacement.

13. hollstar

hollstar Member

Has anyone had issued with the B120i RAID Controller randomly dropping its configuration and logical drive set up?

miicah likes this.
  14. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

check your cabling hollstar
    i had one drive bay go dicky after rooting around in the case. turned out to be the connector onto the mobo was an an angle and was dropping one of bays
    and is your firmware uptodate ?

15. hollstar

hollstar Member

I should have said, this is an SSD connected to the ODD SATA 5 port... That being said, another SATA cable can't hurt so its a fair call. Thanks very much! :thumbup:

16. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

i thought the 5th port wasnt on the b120 ???
    and defo check your firmware is upto date, and setup right

17. hollstar

hollstar Member

I'm running J06 11/02/2015 which I believe is the latest.
    The 5th port does appear, but it just randomly drops the logical array after a reboot from time to time. If you disable the controller and revert to AHCI, it won't allow booting from the 5th port...

18. Mace

Mace Member

Did you get your new fan wired up mate?
    I recently got a Gen 8 and started modding it.
    I did the fan mod from the video posted earlier and used this wiring diagram (screenshot from the vid) and it runs flawlessly.
    https://imgur.com/gallery/jbOBT

This other mod uses the yellow wire still.
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1377-page9.html

19. toxic_spill

toxic_spill Member

I took a fan out of an old Antec 900 case I had sitting around
    [​IMG]

We ended up just taping up the blue wire, as there was nothing to attach it to on the Antec fan.

The system booted up and is working happily now!

Mace likes this.
  20. ryangus

ryangus Member

My old N40L has stopped recognising the USB ports... sort of. When I plug in a mouse into either the front or rear ports, the laser lights up, but after a few seconds goes out again. Some ports don't even light up the laser. I also have no response from the USB keyboard. Any ideas?