HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

Tags:
  1. rockuman_ex

rockuman_ex Member

Thanks.

What about a NAS drive? Would it make any difference ?

2. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Not really. I would just go for the cheapest drives and get more drives for backups instead of few expensive drives.

3. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

If you get anything bigger than 3tb you'll only be able to use 3tb of the drive in the current array..

I had 5x3tb Seagates die, one at a time I replaced them with Toshibas.

4. rockuman_ex

rockuman_ex Member

Did u replace them with the same size drives? One at a time?

5. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

I replaced them basically 2 at a time, the seagate drives basically all started to die within a few weeks of the first one going.

6. kambo_rambo

kambo_rambo Member

anyone tried 4-5x 8TB drives?

7. The Mafia

The Mafia Member

I have put 4 x 8TB WD Reds in the HP Gen8 and they worked fine :)

8. kambo_rambo

kambo_rambo Member

Anyone try on 36/40/54L series?

9. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

plenty of reports on the net of people putting 6x 6tb drives in..
    need the modded bios though

http://n40l.wikia.com/wiki/Hard_drives

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  10. Mace

Mace Member

I had the N40L before I got the Gen8.
    I was running 2x8TB just fine and would often install other drives for a total of 4x spinning disk and 1x SSD.
    There was never an issue with stability.

11. sanjay

sanjay Member

alright, so i bought an N40L. i am now totally lost as to what to do with this thing.

i have 4 x 4tb hard drives loaded into it. What OS should i be running? i really just want to use it as a simple windows file server. id be happy to use windows 10, but would i then need to install a 5th hard drive (likely in place of the DVD drive) to load the OS on to?

alternatively, is there a decent OS that I can run directly off of a USB stick that is mounted to the internal USB port on the motherboard, that will let me run all 4 drives in there as separate 4tb volumes that i can easily find on windows laptops/desktops connected to the network? I dont need RAID or redundancy or anything like that.

12. pksw

pksw Member

Have you considered running FreeNAS from the USB port, and configuring it so the drives are just one big volume? I have it loaded off a 16Gb USB stick, and have 5 x 4 Tb drives. It's been sitting unused for ages, but if I get some time, I'll use it as a NAS backup machine.

13. sanjay

sanjay Member

an old housemate of mine used to run FreeNAS on his NAS and i just remember it being such a pain to configure and keep up.

im currently thinking about running xpenology but i really am much more familiar with windows than anything linux :(

14. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

I tested out OMV and its pretty easy to use, my plan is to move to it permanently once I have to time to move all the data off the drives :)

miicah likes this.
  15. sanjay

sanjay Member

thats the other thing that annoys me with all these other NAS OSes - if i just run windows server 2016 or windows 10 from a main drive, the other 4 drives can be pulled out and put into other devices and the data accessed without issue. seems crazy that to change platforms i would need to backup all 16tb of data to somewhere else, just so i can install a new OS (that will then wipe all the drives...)

16. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Im running VMware and 2012 atm, the reason I want to move all the data is so i can use the raid features in OMV

17. Mace

Mace Member

I too stopped using RAID a while back. Drives these days are big enough that it isn't even necessary. The freedom of being able to pull a drive and use it anywhere is too convenient. Personally I just used a scheduled copy to essentially maintain a rough clone of an 8TB to another 8TB. That gives me redundancy. No offsite backup but I don't rate my data as that important.

Your desired installation is doable and quite simple. Install a 64GB USB into the internal slot and install Windows directly to it, the same as installing to any old hard drive. Nothing fancy required. Go for it.
    I used an SSD connected to the internal SATA point reserved for the DVDRW because I like the speed it offers. (The internal USB is only 2.0)
    A good idea to know more about the hardware you have purchased is to read this thread from the start. It has loads of links to guides and Firmware updates etc so you can make the N40L do anything you like.
    But yeah, you are ready to go with your desired install right now.

18. sanjay

sanjay Member

thanks mace. yep i definitely will read more of this thread when i get a chance but at 736 pages it's a bit hefty for my simple purposes :D

i didn't realise windows could be booted off a USB drive. i think i will chuck a 128gb SSD into the 5.25" bay (with a couple of adaptors) and do what you have done. i dont even really understand why these have a 5.25" slot to begin with!

19. Mace

Mace Member

Just like my avatar. BluRay/DVDRW and sit it in your media centre. All in one device ;)

20. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

To cross post from the next gen storage thread, anyone planning on trying this on a microserver?