HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

Tags:
  1. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

it rather trivial to put a EXT2/4 driver on a windows xp/7/8 box and have access to your data. actually, I think i read somewhere that win10 now reads (and writes) ext4 natively ?? not sure as i'm not running win10 on anything right now.
    synology/XPEnology runs a very small partition at the start of each disk allowing it to find any data and setting for apps and protection to allow migration across their products much just like, but not the same, as windows has its own little system partition of 100mb. i seem to remember the synology one was bigger, but dont know the details these days

considered trying it out, but i prefer my NAS to be a low maintenance box rather than a large fragile experiment that i'm likely to cock up some random setting in linux and toast half my data

2. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

See I'd harp on about backups but that'd make me a massive hypocrite as I don't back mine up enough.

3. miicah

miicah Member

Does anyone actually backup their *cough* linux ISOs though?

4. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Mine has a lot of photography on it, so it's not really sensible to not. What are people with big NAS's using for backup?

5. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Another big nas :thumbup:

Tinian likes this.
  6. akashra

akashra Member

I lost a 5.6TB array of *cough* linux ISOs a couple of months ago.

There's still a SLIM possibility I could recover it, but highly unlikely and not worth the effort.

7. Tinian

Tinian Member

I have a g7 sitting on top of a g8.

MUTMAN likes this.
  8. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Ive lost data before, so I backup the important stuff, but most of it I dont care about

I have a bunch of scripts copying configs and the like into the cloud :)

9. kambo_rambo

kambo_rambo Member

I read that the n36/n40l ODD SATA port doesnt support > 4TB, but i couldnt only find one mention of it. Anyone confirm/bust?

10. wasas

wasas Member

Just digging up a old thread... After running a n36l since they first came out with 5x 2tb drives (upgraded to 5x3tb 3 years ago) and a 2.5" hdd/ssd onto the internal usb plug i'm upgrading to a n54l. Hooray!
    Just checking if anyone is running 5x8tb drives with a modded bios and no issues?

looking to get ubuntu 18.04 and running plex/LAMP/samba/mdadm Raid 5/radarr/sonarr/sabnzbd/x2go/a time machine backup and remote desktop again. wonder if its worth starting fresh or moving the existing SSD over and then remounting the drives.
    anyone else upgraded? or migrated?