1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

Tags:
  1. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

it rather trivial to put a EXT2/4 driver on a windows xp/7/8 box and have access to your data. actually, I think i read somewhere that win10 now reads (and writes) ext4 natively ?? not sure as i'm not running win10 on anything right now.
    synology/XPEnology runs a very small partition at the start of each disk allowing it to find any data and setting for apps and protection to allow migration across their products much just like, but not the same, as windows has its own little system partition of 100mb. i seem to remember the synology one was bigger, but dont know the details these days

considered trying it out, but i prefer my NAS to be a low maintenance box rather than a large fragile experiment that i'm likely to cock up some random setting in linux and toast half my data

2. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

See I'd harp on about backups but that'd make me a massive hypocrite as I don't back mine up enough.

3. miicah

miicah Member

Does anyone actually backup their *cough* linux ISOs though?

4. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Mine has a lot of photography on it, so it's not really sensible to not. What are people with big NAS's using for backup?

5. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Another big nas :thumbup:

Tinian likes this.
  6. akashra

akashra Member

I lost a 5.6TB array of *cough* linux ISOs a couple of months ago.

There's still a SLIM possibility I could recover it, but highly unlikely and not worth the effort.

7. Tinian

Tinian Member

I have a g7 sitting on top of a g8.

MUTMAN likes this.
  8. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Ive lost data before, so I backup the important stuff, but most of it I dont care about

I have a bunch of scripts copying configs and the like into the cloud :)

9. kambo_rambo

kambo_rambo Member

I read that the n36/n40l ODD SATA port doesnt support > 4TB, but i couldnt only find one mention of it. Anyone confirm/bust?

10. wasas

wasas Member

Just digging up a old thread... After running a n36l since they first came out with 5x 2tb drives (upgraded to 5x3tb 3 years ago) and a 2.5" hdd/ssd onto the internal usb plug i'm upgrading to a n54l. Hooray!
    Just checking if anyone is running 5x8tb drives with a modded bios and no issues?

looking to get ubuntu 18.04 and running plex/LAMP/samba/mdadm Raid 5/radarr/sonarr/sabnzbd/x2go/a time machine backup and remote desktop again. wonder if its worth starting fresh or moving the existing SSD over and then remounting the drives.
    anyone else upgraded? or migrated?

11. AbRASiON

AbRASiON Member

EDIT I might be all wrong about this, nvr mind.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  12. AbRASiON

AbRASiON Member

All ports exceed 4TB once you flash the firmware. I've had 6x5TB in mine for years (I have an N54, but I did it with N40 also, the only difference on the entire machine is the CPU)

13. sonicthemouse

sonicthemouse Member

Hey guys,

just inherited a Gen8 Microserver. But it's dead :(
    Or, rather, it functions perfectly as a nice pink night-light but has no functionality at all as a server :lol:

This thread (albeit years ago) is one of the few places on the internet which mentions a pink LED (and that was for an N36L/N54L) so maybe someone here has some ideas?

Symptoms:
    - the LED status bar along the bottom is pink. Yup, pink. Not purple or blue or red or orange. It's pink. There is nothing about that in the manual :confused:
    - the power LED doesn't come on at all
    - the system doesn't power on at all, no fans spin, nothing.
    - the little green LED internally next to the mini-SAS connector is on

Things I've tried:
    - known good RAM from an N54L
    - known good PSU
    - removing all connected stuff except front panel header so I can still press the power button
    - taking CMOS battery out for 1 minute
    - changing positions of all motherboard jumpers then changing them back

My next step is a full teardown, pull the motherboard out of the tray, pull the CPU out and thoroughly clean it all, but it looks like it still has the original CPU in there so I'd say CPU failure / socket damage / something shorting on the underside of the board is pretty unlikely.

So has anyone got any suggestions as to why it's pink, or any Microserver-specific hints I could try aside from the general PC fault-finding stuff?

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

14. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

The gen 7 supports 8tb drives as long as they are just jbod and you are not booting, right?

Also is bios nod required if all I want to do is boot is from the odd sata port and I don't care about sata1 vs 2? My use case is literally a jbod backup server turned on once a week running minimal Ubuntu. All I'm installing is SMB and ssh

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  15. r32godzilla

r32godzilla Member

Anyone know what h265 video card will fit in an N40L, been using it as a great little HTPC for years. I currently have a Radeon HD6450 but it won't play H265 videos. I heard a Geforce GT1030 might but heatsink clearance could be an issue? Anyone know?

Cheers!

16. Stanza

Stanza Member

Pink light on the gen 7 ones was tracked down to the vga port on the n36's .... the later ones n54's etc had a beefier support on the vga port.

Maybe the same symptoms for the gen 8 ?

If your lucky give it a wiggle... or maybe try to re solder it?

17. sonicthemouse

sonicthemouse Member

Thanks mate I'll investigate the VGA :thumbup:

18. Nasha

Nasha Member

Selling isn't allowed, but am i allowed to ask if anyone has something i can purchase?
    Or point them to my WTB thread?

Thanks,
    Nash

19. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

I'd link to your thread - I think the intention of the 'no selling' was to keep sales to the sales forums.

20. Nasha

Nasha Member

Understandable, but i thought i might have more luck here with what i need...

If anyone has got spare parts, maybe you could wander over to the WTB section and see if you can help anyone