HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. sic_vl2000

sic_vl2000 Member

Thanks, I'm still working out what way I'm going to go with my homelab. At the moment, I'm running an old HP Proliant G6 but need to look at replacing it due to noise. It's currently running VMWare ESXi free hypervisor with my webserver and a group of Windows 2016 / 2019 servers for testing / study / self development.

2. Mace

Mace Member

If it's doing the job, maybe just look into reducing the noise.
    Noctua fans are an inexpensive solution and typically just bolt in. Even at max RPM (no signal wire) they are still surprisingly quiet.
    If the noise is from the disks...need to replace the disks. ;)

sic_vl2000 likes this.
  3. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Gosh the onboard Smartarray on the ML10v2's are so shit with an almost impossible way to access them. Fixed by putting in a Dell Perc H710 SAS adapter.

4. sic_vl2000

sic_vl2000 Member

Oh ok, very interesting, I shall work out what size replacement fans I need, thanks for the tip.

5. AbRASiON

AbRASiON Member

Just to bump this old post from Jan.
    I can't emphasize enough, how moving from a HDD to SSD based N40L has been a nightmare

I don't know if it's the controller, the Samsungs, I don't know if I cooked the processor somehow - the entire box with SSD is and has been SIGNIFICANTLY slower at 'process like' tasks ever since. It's nightmarishly slow - embarassing as I recommended them to increase performance.

I think I posted a similar update a month or so after the whole thing, I still don't know what it is and it's impacting me heavily.
    If you think putting an SSD in your MicroServer will help - think again, it could be anything, I just don't know but it's MUCH
    MUCH slower with 2x1TB SSDs than it is with 2x500GB WD Green drives (you heard me...)

6. b-man

b-man Member

I ended up grabbing some
    Samsung 2x 8GB DDR3-1866 MHz PC3-14900E ECC Unbuffered stuff from ebay. Works a treat. I couldnt find anything slower and if i did it was like twice the price. So took a punt and it paid off. Isthere any downfall of having so much faster ram?
    Or am i able to somehow utilise this extra speed?

7. rockuman_ex

rockuman_ex Member

Anyone know how to update the mariadb package?

Kodi stops working because of mariadb

8. broccoli

broccoli Member

I have both kodi and mariadb, mine hasn't stopped working.

9. rockuman_ex

rockuman_ex Member

Kodi 18.x?

10. broccoli

broccoli Member

yep.

11. rockuman_ex

rockuman_ex Member

What's ur mariadb version?

12. broccoli

broccoli Member

13. Mace

Mace Member

Congrats. If it isn't on the list from that site I linked, submit it to the site owner.
    No downfall. The motherboard will just run the RAM as fast as its chipset allows.

14. AbRASiON

AbRASiON Member

I realise that "trying to sell = bans" but what about asking to buy?
    My old boss just had his N36L supply go bang on him and so I said he should just buy someones old Microserver online and this is the best place to look.

He's in Perth which makes it more difficult, should I post on the wanted forums or here?
    Seems like such a shame to scrap one over just a PSU.

15. The Mafia

The Mafia Member

I’ve got either a N36 or N40 here. Happy to ship. I’m Mackay though.
    Probably should take it to PM so we don’t get a ban etc lol.

I apologise in advance admins.

16. AbRASiON

AbRASiON Member

No worries. It's a very old thread, I'm hardly trying to drum up business here :)

Thanks I'll run it by him, he did just spot one on gumtree.

17. Dislexsick

Dislexsick Member

I would think a post in the wanted forum, linked from here would be fine... you're not selling, and anyone attempting to sell will be doing it in the correct area of the forums.

Conversely however selling one elsewhere and linking to that from this thread *could* be seen as attempting to sell, therefore I'd suggest against that.

18. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

S&I isn't my subforum to admin, but I think this thread is old enough to let it slide if you leave it at the above and take any offers to PM.

IIRC the rule around no selling was more when they were a hot item with some pretty massive sale discounts and people were reselling like crazy.

I also vaguely recall a bunch of posts earlier on replacement PSU's too - not specifically HP ones but others that fit.

EDIT: As a ballpark, this one is ~$100 on eBay.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  19. AbRASiON

AbRASiON Member

That's what I figured, thanks tho, he's opted to look at one in his state on Gumtree (I thought bayswater was only in Vic, hence trying to help him.)

TheWedgie likes this.
  20. karmic

karmic Member

I replaced the PSU on my N40L a few weeks ago with a generic 270W unit from AliExpress. Cost ~US$28 including shipping to Perth (it took 3 weeks to arrive), so there are definitely some options out there. I didn't pay attention to the number of molex connectors so instead of 5x molex I ended up with 2x molex and 2x sata. Easy fix with a couple of molex Y-splitters I already had, and I'm putting drives 5+6 in the optical bay so the sata power connectors will be used for this.