HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Because there is a bug in Samba/someone screwed up. :thumbdn:

On the sides of the bare drives (where the screw holes are), before you screw them into the caddies, add a strip of thin adhesive velcro or double sided tape + some felt/some kind of fabric.

Then screw the drive into the caddy and slide it in. It should mount a lot firmer (hopefully not too firm) and stop the vibrations/resonance.

2. Hyram

Hyram Member

Read my post on other tricks you can implement to help make your N36L quieter.

3. jmoihl

jmoihl Member

I have seen 3 units, myself and 2 other friends, we all think the loudest part was the PSU. I didn't think there could be a silent PSU with a small fan spinning so fast, so I thought that was the norm. Seems other ppl here have more luck than other... but then people have different standard when it comes to "silent" did you actually compare your unit to his side-by-side?

I also thought about replacing the 120mm Fan, but when I pulled off the fan (while server is running and already in ubuntu, this doesn't result in immediate shut down) , I still find the loudest part was the PSU fan and the HDDs..so I don't think replacing it is gonna solve majority of the problem....

And I don't think I will replace the small fan in the PSU either for 2 reason... 1. warranty 2. small fans needs to spin fast to get enough CFMs, changing to anything quieter, you will probably risk overheating.

I am currently looking at the pico psu solution.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  4. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Yeah I was actually at my mates place and his doesn't exhibit any whine. I was looking at replacing it with a similar CFM fan, maybe 30% less max airflow. Should be fine - it's not going to be running in a 40 degree room or anything.

5. neilt0

neilt0 New Member

Thanks. That makes sense.

This guy: http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=13201219&postcount=342 suggests mounting damping material on the caddy itself, which makes more sense to me, as it's fixing the problem on the caddy itself, not the drive, so I can replace the drive at any point.
    He also suggest putting material on the "shaft" at the rear. What shaft? This is why I was confused by his post. Need photos. :rolleyes:

6. jmoihl

jmoihl Member

I'll be running mine at home , which can get quite hot in summer and I don't have air con :(
    At least you still got a spare PSU from HP to play with? Did they ask you to send back the old one? I might try to get a spare one for fan swap :D

My exhibits a "whine" as well, its quite annoying, but it gets drown out by 4x 1TB WD green though now I just tested the server with and without the HDDs

7. Hyram

Hyram Member

Me :p

Sorry, thought everything I detailed was fairly obvious. The shaft is the bar along the back of the caddy, closest to the SATA sockets. When you've got the thin felt (or whatever) on the inside of the frame, this makes them bow out slightly (which is good, = extra presssure = stop rattle) but it makes that bar at the back of the caddy bow in in response, and it needs to be stopped from rattling against the arse of the HD.

8. neilt0

neilt0 New Member

OK, thanks. I think I get it. Maybe. Are you putting a small square of felt on just the inside part of this bar?

[​IMG]

9. Hyram

Hyram Member

Got it in one, sunshine!

10. doodz

doodz Member

I get similar when copying the internet to and from the HP box. Running Solaris 11 Express with 4x3TB 5400RPM drives in raidz1

[​IMG]

11. stumo

stumo Member

That is interesting, and maybe not worth it. Your stock psu loads are pretty low anyway. Mine never went below 35W with stock. If it was as low as yours I wouldn't have gone pico.

That stock 250GB drive is a hog, replace it with a green drive and you should drop another 4W.

12. Statts

Statts RIP

Just to validate (again)....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  13. fido666

fido666 Member

14. gr8r-x

gr8r-x Member

Well.. The obvious question would be: Why are you using SMB on a Linux/Linux transfer? NFS is faster and lower CPU load on both systems, and fairly easy to setup on a Linux box, both client and server.

And the reason why SSH/scp transfers are slow is because of the extra overhead required - if you run a top on the HP whilst doing an scp you'll see the CPU hitting 100%. It can't keep up....

And just to chime in speeds like everyone else; with a 2 disk mirror, mdadm'd under Ubuntu 10.04 server, I'm getting 80MB/s both ways over SMB to my Windows 7 box.

15. Statts

Statts RIP

Whoever asked, befoe posts were deleted what switch i was using, Dell PowrrConnect 28088

16. doodz

doodz Member

I'm using a tp-link 9 port managed switch

17. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

Has anyone had any success getting openfiler to work?
    Installs fine, but will not add a volume it cant see my hdd's, yet under status it can see them.

Code:
    SCSI Devices	
    -	ATA Hitachi HDS72101 (Direct-Access)
    -	PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-106D (CD-ROM)
    -	SanDisk Cruzer Slice (Direct-Access)

18. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

i seen that however it did not fix my situation and given its been 1.5 years since that post i thought my issue might be different.

Ill submit a bug report anyway.

appreciate the help.

19. doodz

doodz Member

Power usages:

Using a Jaycar power meter.

Idle ie when power off: 3W
    Idle at BIOS with only ONE SSD connected: 38W
    Idle at BIOS with all 4 drives + SSD: 60W

Idle at Solaris login page: 53W
    Little bit of smb share activity: 60W
    Copying one file to another server: 62-63W

I noticed when it started up the max W it reached was 100W then it goes back to ~60W.

20. stumo

stumo Member

I've had it working before, off a USB stick and a single 2TB drive. I had AHCI set in the BIOS. Other than that its a bitch to set up. You need to set up a physical pool or something before a volume? I cant remember exactly. You need to find a good walkthrough / howto. If I can get it working, pretty much anyone can.

Speeds were really good with OF, but I settled on win 2k8 r2 in the end.