1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

I did that once, you can pass the ATX cable through the optical bay and have the PSU sit on top.

2. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Yeah, or if I pull the old PSU out, I can maybe run the cables in through the back. Anyway this weekend's mission was to fix it or bin it, and it is definitely fixable now, so will think about it some more later.

3. sschen

sschen Member

The PSU on my N36L died a few years ago too. As it costs too much to get a Flex Form Factor PSU, I just connected a standard ATX PSU at the rear of the N36L, and run all the cables into the N36L enclosures through a hole on the rear (where the IEC Power Plug used to be). I think I have to use a couple of Y splitters (there is 6x HDD in mine). Apart from it being unsightly at the back, the unit has been running perfectly fine in this configuration all these years. My unit is located on the floor below a table, and the rear is out of sight, hence isn't an issue. Good luck!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  4. phatmike12885

phatmike12885 Member

Psu died on my n36l a couple years ago too. I ended up getting this picoPSU 160 kit from here. Works well, 50w power consumption with 4 sata disks, 1 ssd and 8gb ram, running UNRAID.

5. Kosti

Kosti Member

PSU!!! Arrgghhh!!!

The original PSU in the Gen8 just wasn't providing enough juice to run 10 HDD and the RAID card so upgraded to a second hand Delta 400W from ebay.

[​IMG]

This PSU just went POP during a preclearing of a WD 12TB HDD via USB, while this is still a mystery why the PSU blew up, I wasn't going to shell out more for another damn 1RU PSU so decided to butcher up the GEN8 and move it to another case I had lying around..My HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 originally had the following upgrades inside the HP case,
    • CPU <> Xeon E3-1265L V2 with a modified Noctua NH-9i HSF
    • RAM <> 16GB ECC RAM
    • Real RAID <> HP Smart Array P420 flashed to IT mode with 2GB FBWC and BBU installed in PCI 1
    Now in a spare MINIITX CASE with massive butchering call it Mods I shoved everything from the nice compact HP case LOL
    • Added Addonics AESN5DA35-A Snap-In Disk Array PRO (holds 5 drives)
    • Used PSU Corsair 650W
    Done some serious hacking to get this to fit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I just need to work on my storage solution, anyone using unRAID?
    Kosti

sschen likes this.
  6. JonasQuinn

JonasQuinn Member

Hi everyone,

An HP P222 RAID card arrived this afternoon for my Gen8 Microserver but I just can't get the system to boot with the card installed.
    1. It takes forever to get through the "PCI Auto Configuration Start" (sometimes reboots a couple of times before continuing).
    2. Then it gets to the next screen where it hangs on "Processor Initialization Complete" for ages.
    3. Finally it'll show a big red screen with "NMI Detected. Please consult the Integrated Management Log for more details." across the top.
    In the Management Log I see two entries:
    1. Unrecoverable System Error (NMI) has occurred. System Firmware will log additional details in a separate IML entry if possible
    2. PCI Bus Error (Slot 1, Bus 0, Device 1, Function 0)
    I have put RAID card into an old N40L (or N36L, can't quite remember which it is) and it detects the card just fine. I was able to check the firmware on the card and it's at v8.32.

I have tried upgrading the bios on the Microserver, the firmware on the card looks to be as new as it will go, and I tried resetting the bios to default. I'm totally stumped since the P222 card is supposed to be the only supported RAID card for this system.

Does anyone have any ideas at all?

Cheers in advance!

7. Kosti

Kosti Member

Have you tried another card in the Gen 8 PCI slot? Like a GPU card or similar? Make sure the all the firmware are updated and you have installed all of the service packs for the HP

When I done mine ages ago I added these in this order

P03093_001_spp-Gen8.1-SPPGen81.4
    P09835_001_spp-2018.09.0-SPP2018090.2018_0914.32
    P11740_001_spp-2018.11.0-SPP2018110.2018_1114.38
    P14481_001_spp-2019.03.0-SPP2019030.2019_0206.85
    P19089_001_spp-2019.03.1-SPP2019031.2019_0425.6
    P19473_001_spp-2019.09.0-SPP2019090.2019-0905.39

This is BIOS rom
    BIOS System ROMPaq Firmware Upgrade 20190404

ILO
    iLO4 Ver2.70

However make sure you double check the above are correct as I think at one point I pushed some Gen9 stuff into it and caused some weird boots

Warning - Add these at your own risk, read and double check

MUTMAN likes this.
  8. JonasQuinn

JonasQuinn Member

Yeah, I've tried a pcie nic which works just fine so presumably the slot is fine.
    And the P222 works in another machine so I'm in a bit of an annoying troubleshooting spot.

You don't happen to have ISO links do you? :p
    I've got the P03093 iso but the others are either hard to find or painfully slow to download!

9. JonasQuinn

JonasQuinn Member

Ahh, so an update...
    The P222 card works when I put the i3-3240 back into my Microserver. I had upgraded it to a Xeon E3-1230v2. What do you guys think might be the issue?

I would have thought it was power related but the P222 didn't even work without the four hard disks powered up.

10. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

Checking over spec comparison via CPUboss (http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Xeon-E3-1230-v2-vs-Intel-Core-i3-3240)

The i3 uses 55w, whereas the Xeon uses 69w - not much difference in the grand scheme of things. Perhaps try with a bigger/beefier PSU and see how you go.

Also of note, the i3 has built in GPU, the Xeon does not, could be a bus clash maybe?

11. JonasQuinn

JonasQuinn Member

Hmm, can you even get bigger PSUs for the Gen8 Microserver?
    I've been thinking it's more software issue because the bootup sits forever on PCI Auto Configuration Start before continuing - almost like it's configuring addresses for all the hardware. Do you think perhaps I shouldn't be using a CPU without a GPU built in?

12. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

can you put the original G1610T cpu back in to test ?

13. JonasQuinn

JonasQuinn Member

Unfortunately, I don't have the G1610T processor. My Gen8 came with the i3 processor as standard. My first upgrade was the Xeon so I think I'll be weighing my options now - to have an i3 + P220 or a Xeon + software RAID without the P222.

I'm hoping there'll be a 3rd option as I've ordered a P410 from eBay - it'll probably arrive this side of Christmas - and it may let me have hardware RAID5 with the Xeon.

MUTMAN likes this.
  14. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

I probably should have expanded on the "try another PSU" with anything that you have handy or laying around, even a standard ATX PSU. The idea is purely to see if power consumption could be the issue, though I do doubt it.

15. Kosti

Kosti Member

The original PSU is weak in the gen8, trust me I found out the hard way hence now running a 650Watt PSU inside another case

you can buy a flex psu but not cheap, can risk and buy a china crap one but that all comes with a risk

16. Turbine

Turbine Member

At what point is it no longer a Gen8? XD

MUTMAN likes this.
  17. Kosti

Kosti Member

When I lose ILO

Sorry Gen10+ no ILO for u guys

18. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

I've got myself some Proliant ML110 g9's are these suckers worth or useful for anything?

19. Stanza

Stanza Member

Nope, definitely not.....

send them to me

SLIMaxPower likes this.
  20. Hmmmmmmm

Hmmmmmmm Member

I'm tempted to pick up a Proliant to have some fun learning home server things. I'd be looking to run FreeNAS on one with Time Machine backups, Plex and a DNS server with content filtering to get rid of ads on my network.

Should I buy a GEN10 or is it overkill?