1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. AbRASiON

AbRASiON Member

Small business I supported for years just shut down and the company taking it over puled out the 2 Microservers, I'm crushed, they were working fine and I strongly suspect they'll be DBAN'd and then binned.

2. Blinky

Blinky Member

What happened with this? Did you ever get a price?

3. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

no one expressed interest or contacted me so I never followed this up for anyone.

4. Blinky

Blinky Member

Could you check just for me or is that too small of an order?

5. resonance

resonance Member

My gen8 firewall/NAS stopped the other day, upon checking it, the LED on the front was rapidly (>1Hz) flashing red and won’t start. In the docco it says power fault for this type of alarm. I pulled the top off and since the PSU connector is a standard 24 pin ATX, I plugged in my main PC PSU into the mainboard. But same result, the PSU fans don’t even start. So I’m at a bit of a loss and considering trashing it and building up a cheap headless ITX unit. But it’s hard without spending $300 or more.
    Now thinking of shorting the PS_ON pin to GND to force the PSU to supply the rail voltages and get the thing going. Anyone have any insight?

It’s been a good box, I’ve been running FreeBSD on it for the past 3 or 4 years with constant uptime. It’s great for multiple hard drives and NICs.

6. CirCit

CirCit Member

I miss the original amd ones, I'm guessing hp saw a loss on small server sales as a result of how adequate the originals were for a 5 user office. They figured on upsells when business's expanded past the limitations but im guessing it just didn't happen and it was cheaper to throw in 2 micro's and split off tasks then it was to upgrade to smb servers.

also they were silent, hard to upsell to a shopvac when its right next to somones desk.

The real killer was the cost, hp treated them as a gift or a joke, and they got tossed around for as low as what... 200aud? Just cant say no at those prices. I really hope a oem takes the idea of a silent cube server, bump it to 6 trays/bays (ditch the optical and make it actually a cube) with hotswap and throw in a modern amd embedded for good measure. They have come along way (N54L=704, R1606G=4544, V1807B=8095passmark)

MUTMAN likes this.
  7. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

too small of an order. Needs to be minimum 5 units to get a better quote (up to 40% off rrp).

8. Blinky

Blinky Member

Alright Matt, I'll try and kick the can elsewhere, thanks.

9. Mace

Mace Member

Before you ditch it, take it down to bare bones first and start adding components one at a time.
    With your unit, since you've done the PSU already, it could be RAM? Once you take it to minimum parts you'll be able to see if it comes to life.
    (I resurrected a non booting 27" iMac the other day with this method, it turned out to just need a new WebCam. Amazing that would stop it booting, but hey, it's a Mac.)

10. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

DAMN straight, how is Apple gunna spy on you if your webcam isn't working!

resonance likes this.
  11. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Via the microphone? In todays age you don't need a cam to spy on people. Anybody with more than a braincell and some tech knowledge can find ways to listen in on you via microphones in your laptop, pc microphone or mobile device.

12. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

no_way.png

Matthew kane likes this.
  13. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Plus I'm sure dipshit Dan is probably listening on Victorian's anyway.

14. resonance

resonance Member

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll give that a go and report back.

15. Stanza

Stanza Member

check the vga port on the board

I had one wouldn’t boot because of it before

eg it was bent / knocked before somehow

16. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Good on him. It's about time a politician listens to the people.

bym007 likes this.
  17. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Not sure if serious but I sense the hidden sarcasm.

18. resonance

resonance Member

Well, to follow up on my earlier post, I found the issue. I’d tested the PSU and it was ok. Then I tried Mace’s suggestion and unplugged everything, including removing the RAM. It would then start up without the flashing red LED. As I plugged things back in one by one and testing, I’d determined it was with the SATA drives. I’ve got 1 SSD (OS) and 3 HDDs in a ZFS RAID-Z. I noticed a bubble on the SSD power connector, it appears to have shorted and overheated. Photos below. First time I’ve seen this! It happened on a relatively hot Melbourne spring day (mid 20s).

It was part of a Y-connector so I removed it and soldered together a new one using spare ATX power cables. Then it booted all good again! Was a nice opportunity to give it a bit of a clean and blow out the accrued dust and fluff. I’d also opened up the SSD to make sure there was no visible damage inside, and it looked fine.

184A8B0E-2DC9-42C7-9A93-90B707E8FBC5.jpeg
    2899BC92-F344-467C-A292-EFFA86C0F60E.jpeg

MUTMAN likes this.
  19. timey_timeless

timey_timeless Member

nice job and good pickup

so i purchased (second hand) my third gen 8 microserver. not quite sure why, just felt a real compulsion.
    for the moment i might make use of it as a testing machine so i am not interfering with my main server

20. Blinky

Blinky Member

No wonder I can’t find one secondhand, you keep swooping in and buying all the stock! ;)