HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club! (Attempting to sell here will result in bans)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oli, May 10, 2011.

1. romanx

romanx Member

I picked up an N54L off Facebook marketplace to tinker with and hopefully get it up and running for the cricket club I'm involved in. I've stuck ubuntu on it last night just to get it up and running and make sure it works.
    There's 567 pages here and a billion things to look at.

But I'd like to bump the RAM up, and I'm looking at using Nextcloud on it for file sharing, email, and chat features. No massive amounts of storage will be needed, but it's cheaper option to give me user management and cloud hosted files that going to somewhere like Wrike, MIcrosoft Sharepoint/Team Drive or other groupwares that'll charge $9 a month per user. Costing the club around $1000 a year for something we're not going to utilise all that much.

What's it like running SSD's? or is it worthwhile just sticking to HDD's as speed won't matter in this case?
    Any links on where I can pickup ram? has 4gb currently, I'll rip it out and replace with 2 x 4GB sticks. I've heard it'll only go to 8gb max but some stuff in here seems to push it to 16gb? not that I think I'll need it.

2. Bullseye81

Bullseye81 Member

MUTMAN likes this.
  3. Ken In TX

Ken In TX Member

Romance - reply to me off-list (Ken at N2VIP dot org) I have micro server with wedged firmware, I think mine has 16 Gig installed, maybe we can figure something out. I'm in NJ

4. bym007

bym007 Member

5. Madllama

Madllama Member

Fingers crossed that they dont sell any and eventually have a fire sale on 'em.

6. romanx

romanx Member

Rather keep it to the forums sorry. So you have a modified file for the bios? I'm interested in stability in a small footprint. I don't need anymore than 8gb ram for linux and nextcloud. If I need anything more powerful I have 4 x retired Intel Xeon servers with 32GB Ram and 2012 R2 I can use.

7. bym007

bym007 Member

8. romanx

romanx Member

9. whatisk

whatisk Member

I'm sure I was running my N40L with 8GB or 16GB when I had it - been a while now so not 100% on the actual amount. I was using non-ECC ram as it's cheaper. The 2GB (I think) stick that originally came with them were ECC. I ran for a while with Windows home server. OS on an SSD in the CD-Drive bay and then 4 mech drives in the removable bays. Then switched to Xpenology on a USB and more drives in the optical bay.

There was a bios update for the NIC being recognised if installing Server 2012R2. There was also a modded bios for something to do with using the optical bay with HHDs, but can't quite remember what it was.
    EDIT: modded bios was to allow the 5th SATA port (Optical) to run at full speed (6Gb/s) so a HDD could be used on it.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  10. Turbine

Turbine Member

Damn never heard about that modded bios while I owned one of those.

11. romanx

romanx Member

Mines got 4GB of RAM currently, I'm not sure if I'll need more. Original intention was to run a linux distro with Next Cloud, and one of my co-workers was going to help me with that. Unfortunately he passed away a week ago unexpectedly and was into anything open source and self hosted. So I'm unsure of the direction to go with it now as I'm not fantastic with linux.
    If it was just Windows I could get something going, Xpenology could be an option. I have a Synology NAS already (DS216j) but I was interested in something that ran a little better and more of an open source enterprise clone for what we were planning on doing. Maybe I should at least look at the BIOS updates on the HP MS first, are there any dedicated forums to them where the downloads are available? including the modded BIOS?

12. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

i dont know if these are still up ???

13. ThunderbirdMoz

ThunderbirdMoz Member

Im still mourning my old 36l/htpc which died suddenly and would not boot up one day. I just get the red logo of death and thats it, nothing on screen. I tried to fix it but without success. Must have cleared the cmos a dozen times and unpluged everything one by one keeping just the psu and power switch to no avail. The screen stays blank using the inbuilt vga.

Theres still some things i want to try like:
    -temporarily plugging in a different psu
    -checking voltages with a voltmeter
    -checking jumper positions, seating and shorts

Visually the board still looks brand new, its clean and theres no bulges on the caps. Has always been in the kitchen sitting next to the tv in there.

Does anyone know where I could plug in a buzzer to hear the post codes or a good pcie post adapter I can use on this thing? I can see pci and mini pcie readily available on ebay but not pcie

14. sjaeger172004

sjaeger172004 Member

Hi all

would anyone have a key they could make and send to me for a HPE ProLiant N40L thank you and I will pay

Thanks

15. leighr

leighr Member

Do you mean the key for the front panel? I've probably got a spare floating around I could send you.

16. Hmmmmmmm

Hmmmmmmm Member

I'm ready to get building! Keen to get some advice from people.

I've got a Gen8 with 16GB memory, Xeon 1265lv2, 4x4TB drives and a 2.5" drive to boot from.

The system currently has ESXi on it just for me to play around with. I'm keen to try out ZFS but understand that its not recommended/supported to run ZFS in a virtualised environment (whether in the hypervisor or in a VM), but I'm sure someone here has given it a go?

This machine is really just for learning but I will also have a few services running in the background (nothing critical).

I know 16GB of memory isn't a lot when we're talking about virtualisation AND ZFS, but has anyone tried it?

17. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Adding to my Microserver ownership shortly.

Have had an N36L for many many years (when they were for sale at silly low pricing) and has done its duty as a HTPC (with low profile graphics card), 2x2TB and 2x3TB raid1 arrays running win7.
    Been relegated to just photo storage but getting low on storage.

So picking up a pair of N40L's tomorrow with the intention of revamping things a bit.
    Likely move to a 5-6 drive setup (3TB or 4TB's) running Xpenology - again to be photo storage but also dump some media off external USB drives.
    Not sure if I'll use the 2nd one or not, likely just keep its drive/parts for spares as they're getting long in the tooth.

Is there a current link around for the hacked bios that allows the enabling of the 5th and 6 ports?

18. whatisk

whatisk Member

This page may help: https://n40l.fandom.com/wiki/Bios

MUTMAN likes this.
  19. sjaeger172004

sjaeger172004 Member

I am wondering what type of screw does the HP N40L use as missing a lot of HDD screws as looking to maybe offload it with a 2.5 SSD.

I am wondering if it can take a 2.5inch as well as what screws it takes

Thank you

20. Turbine

Turbine Member

You might find more screws on the inside of the door. I recall there being heaps of spares included.
    The screws are pretty standard too similar to motherboard screws or normal HDD screws you might have spare from PC builds.

You can install a 2.5in in the 3.5in bays with an adaptor housing...or you could plug it in and pad the space with something (if it's a 2.5in SSD)